There's a trailer apparently.....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Transwarp Drive, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True, but my point is that this "extra layer" and the "other stuff" are not mutually exclusive. If TOS could balance big ideas and vivid characters with plenty of cheap thrills, eye-popping SFX, fight scenes, romance, and explosions, why can't modern TREK?

I mean, it's not like the bridge wasn't blowing up every other episode or so. I'm sure Roddenbery would have thrown in a lot more bang for the buck if he could've afforded it way back when, so I'm not sure why people now seem to regard that "other stuff" as somehow suspect and beneath the standards of what they think TREK "should" be.

As opposed to what it actually was.

P.S. When did "populist" become a bad thing? As I've written before, TREK was never meant to be some elitist, cult thing intended only for the chosen few. It was a prime-time show on NBC, for pete's sake.

It's supposed to be smart, fun, mass-market entertainment with appeal to everyone, not just the fannish cognoscenti.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vest Janeway in "Macrocosm" had more pep than Kirk on PCP.:p

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

A notable exception!

4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Then again we are comparing the series to the movies which are usually good action/adventure romps. With the series we have more time to tell a more complex story, while the movies are akin to a shot of good tequila. With exceptions of course.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, yep and yep. Movies have to grab you hard for 2 hours.

6. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    If that happens, I will be one happy little nerd. :)

7. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think its possible we may get a real trailer (not just a teaser) with one of the holiday season films -- Skyfall, Hobbit, etc.

My bet is Skyfall, considering the young-ish male demographic who will be seeing that film. This first episode of The Hobbit trilogy is rumored to be more "family friendly" than the LOTR films were, considering the source material (the first part of "The Hobbit" novel was a little lighter in tone than the LOTR books).

While the Hobbit demographic is also something Abrams is certainly courting, I think the demographic for Skyfall is more of an exact fit.

8. CommanderRaytas

Let's hope you're right, because that would make me even happier...what with the shorter wait and all.

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Guys check out the trailer for iron man 3....its amazing that trek 2013 comes out 2 weeks after this film.

I hope trek is the better film out of the 2...Am kind of growing tired of Marvel films.:confused:

Maybe a trailer for trek 2013 will be in skyfall:)

10. CommanderRaytas

HERETIC!!!!

Honestly, I love the Avengers series! Can't wait to get a Thor sequel. Me and the other six billion fangirls Tom Hiddleston has.... *ahem*

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Does no one read the publication dates behind the title page?

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't believe that. The Fellowship was premiered in London. No New Zealander, no matter how dense, would have seen that and thought "Oh London was chosen because it's uhhh something something something".

13. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

JJ has promised a trailer before the year runs out...this is fact,I read it on trekweb.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It was Bob Orci, and it stopped short of being a promise.

Please stop spamming the thread.

15. Transwarp Drive

Transwarp Drive Lieutenant

Then you don't have any idea of what a parochial and inward looking place the real NZ is. It isn't all mountains, lakes and empty beaches I assure you!

So a trailer by the end of the year then according to Trekweb? The Hobbit?

16. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would not be surprised if Abrams show a trailer with Cumberbatch, without revealing his character, but with some clues, creating a sort of cliffhanger for January. And he loves to do it

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

X-Men: First Class managed to leave Kevin Bacon's villain out of the trailers entirely. I wouldn't put it past JJ to do the same... although with Cumby's UK popularity I imagine they'd want everyone here to know he's in it.

18. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Perhaps it was the plan all along to put him in the trailer ... but not the movie! :devil: :lol:

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And don't forget we all thought Kirk was in bed with Uhura in that first trailer.

20. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

lol...I know,glad she got someone better:) Although I did think Kirk was gonna get the girl.