Earth-Romulan War 2D Artwork

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by uniderth, Mar 1, 2009.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

This thread will be for any Earth-Romulan War 2D artwork I do.

To start us off. Here's the Earth officers ranks used during the Romulan War. These pins are worn on the sleeve. I'll post some of the Earth uniform designs in a while.

I tried to make some of the rank pins look like a progression from current ranks. I also mixed some other nations ranks in with the American ones to give it amore "United Earth" feel.

[​IMG]

2. uniderth

Here's some UESPA uniforms from the Earth-Romulan War era. These are still in progress. There are a bunch of other versions I'm working on.

[​IMG]

3. uniderth

Here's some different pins:

[​IMG]

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting concepts. I just noticed that the female uniforms' skirts get shorter as you go down in rank! :lol:

5. uniderth

Yep. It's because lower ranks would usually be younger and have sexier legs.

6. uniderth

Here's some more stuff. The patches of the Enterprise. The first on is while it is still under UESPA as the UEV-47. The second is after it is given to the Federation and becomes the U.S.S. Enterprise XCV-330.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the UESPA patch from 2156. Any comments. Does it seem too bland or anything?
    [​IMG]

Some more uniforms. I want to have a specific Doctors uniform. Since a Doctor would be a civilian position(as part of the civilian science division) not a military one. I'm not sure I like this as the Doctors but let me know what you think. Any other ideas?
    [​IMG]

7. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very good, but i dont like the rank pins, esp. the Vice Admiral. It looks too similar to a musical note, man!

8. uniderth

Hahaha. Yeah I kind of noticed that too. The Vice-Admiral through Fleet Admiral don't center too well. Is there anything specific you don't like? The scheme? Location of pins? The way I drew them?

9. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Not bland, but it looks like the "satellite" (for lack of a better term) is simply orbiting earth. Since this organization is charged with exploring beyond Earth, you might have it look closer to NASA's (I don't know what ESA's, the Russian or the Chinese space programs' insignia look like) where the "satellite" is coming from behind, swinging around the Earth and then proceeding outward. The thickness of the satellite's tail reinforces this idea of projecting outward from Earth (similar to your Enterprise patches).

Just my $0.02. Otherwise looking good, especially the junior female officer uniforms. :p :cool:

10. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of them are fine. The flag officer's pins i think are a little much. I don't like the design on them. It's like my dearly departed friend once said, "Keep it simple, stupid." :p So ... i dunno to me they are too flashy.

11. uniderth

Thanks for the comment on that USS Jack Riley. I've changed it a bit(I'll post an image later). the new version gives the "orbit" a wider angle. It also makes it look a bit more like the delta used in early UESPA logos. But it doesn't leave enough space for the roman numerals. So I replaced the roman numerals with a stars.

Shameless: The lower ranks are based on current navel rank pins. The Lt. Commander and COmmander are based on the Oak Leaf. The Captain and Fleet Captain are supposed to supposed to be descended from the eagle. THe other ranks I just made up. Actually the Admiral ranks are based on the Star Forge from Knight of the Old Republic. But I'm willing to doodle around and see if any other designs I like better. Maybe something based on actual Earth ranks.

Some more uniform updates:

[​IMG]

Science jumpsuit, female version, as well as a skirt version. There's the engineering jumpsuit. As I put on the image maybe a slang term for engineers could be "brown suits" like "red shirts." Or maybe they could be called "brownies." I dunno just thought it might be interesting. I might remove the pin from the engineering jumpsuit. I'd hate to have that stabbing me in the face when I'm in some cramped crawl space.

Then there is the Officer's Dress uniform. It's basically the same as a regular uniform but with more gold trim and more white. There's a United Earth Flag arm band. Any suggestion for the dress uniform would be appreciated.

12. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

^^Uniderth - Glad to be of service. The change may necessitate a change in the placement/size of the roman numerals. For examples, check out the NASA patches for the Mercury, Gemini and especially the Apollo missions. I would include USSR/Russian, ESA, Chinese, et al., but I don't know if they have mission patches for each mission. It always seemed like a branch off of the fact that the US astronauts were all former pilots and, therefore, received mission patches for various flight groups in which they flew.

13. uniderth

Ok here's some more images:

The two male uniforms have the outlines now and are finished.

[​IMG]

Male Undershirts.

[​IMG]

Male jumpsuits.

[​IMG]

14. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

I really like the addition of section colors.
    Since I'm ex-Air Force, I don't know this: Did you base the new colors off of current Navy color coding?

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice work uniderth! What types of jobs are you thinking go under the different divisions, especially Ops and Logistics?

Horizon: Here's a good primer on carrier colors: Rainbow Wardrobe. So no, uniderth's aren't really based on those. Besides, only the guys working the flight deck are assigned colors, and wouldn't include things like command or ship's engineering.

16. uniderth

Thatnks for the compliments. No they aren't based off aircraft carrier colors.

This is basically what I'm going with. The details still need to be pinned down though.

Command: Commanding officers, communications
    Security: Security and weapons
    Engineering: Enginerring and Maintenance
    Executive: C-in-c and other executive staff
    Operations: Navigation, helm
    Training: Training
    Logistics: Cargo and supplies

Medical and sciences are civilian divisions but their colors are white and blue respectively

17. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I like the overall concepts, especially the insignia and overall uniform design. However, I'm not wild about the "T" stripes on the uniform midsections... they seem kind of distracting to me.

Great job, though. I love Romulan War stuff.

18. uniderth

I've started reworking my uniforms.

[​IMG]

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Coolies :)

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there a particular point to the T shaped lines on the jackets?