McCoy's Gorn Statement

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Harbinger, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The cgi Gorn from Enterprise looked too much like a video game character to me. I much prefer a practical effect, and liked the Gorn from the Klingon prison in the 09 deleted scene. The shape of the face is different but the head ridges are pretty close enough to be recognizable. The only thing I'm not so hot for is the lack of insect like eyes the original had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:lol:

2. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have a pretty strong feeling that they were planning to CG in the eyes had they actually used it, as evidenced by the fact that they didn't even bother to put some kind of contact lenses on the actor.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think you're probably right. In closer shots of the "Gorn" headpiece, you can plainly see the actor's eyes through unfinished eyeholes.

Edit:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...alpha/en/images/b/b2/Barney_Burman's_Gorn.jpg
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=8151100&postcount=25

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quite liked Pacific Rim's approach to monster design. Yes, the monsters were all CGI, but they were designed to have the proportions of a suit -- to make it look like it could be a wearable costume -- if it ever came to actually building one for an actor to wear, both as an homage to old kaiju movies and as back-up for production if needed.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind it if a future Trek production adopted that philosophy for the Gorn if they decide to go down the CGI route. One thing about the Gorn in IAMD is that its flexibility and darkness not only disconnected it from the 60s design, but made it just plain difficult to see what the thing was actually doing. The fight with Archer was thus fairly unconvincing.

5. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I'd still have to ask why Khan looks completely different since apparently nothing should have been changed prior to Nero arriving. Also, to some degree, Klingons.

Awesome! Much thanks on that.

6. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After some YouTube searching, I found the quote in the game by Bones regarding the Gorn he mentioned in Into Darkness, as mentioned greatly by Crazy Eddie.

Kirk laughs about afterwards. :P

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Soon to be answered in "Khan", the six-part mini-series by IDW Comics. Issue #1 has the change of appearance questioned. I'm supposing his face and complexion were changed after being awakened by Section 31 in the 23rd century.

Line up Kor, Koloth, Kang, the TMP Klingon captain, Kruge, Maltz, Kamarag, Klaa, Colonel Worf, Chang and TNG's Worf, Gowron, Martok and you have plenty of variety in skin tones, crests, eye-colour, etc, to allow for the unusual crest, piercings and eyes of that one unmasked Klingon in "Into Darkness".

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Recasting and improved make-up. Remember Saavik and Zefram Cochrane? And the way Klingons changed throughout the old movies?

I'd like an explanation as to why Khan is white and his followers all Aryan in WoK. And how anyone ever thought a clean-shaven, waxed-chested man was a Sikh.
    [​IMG]

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, the "bone structure" of the sunken eye sockets seem to invite the addition of something.

10. Therin of Andor

Greg Cox takes some time to explain this in his third Khan novel, "To Reign in Hell".

11. Therin of Andor

Keenser's extended eyes were added in post-production as a SPFX. I'd guess similar plans for the Gorn.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but they never did explain what happened with Khan.

13. Therin of Andor

Lost his tan.

They stayed indoors, mostly, after the destruction of Ceti Alpha VI.