Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Gotcha. I'm in good shape, but flexibility is definitely something that is lacking. I almost never stretch.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^You will be sore.

;)

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Good. I like being sore for working out. I think I'd like to do it about once a week in addition to my normal gym routine.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Holy Jesus, I think I broke myself today. This is the first New Years Day in years where I haven't been deathly hungover, so I took advantage of it and went to the gym and followed Day 1 of my new routine (super-setting Chest and Back), and I felt like I was going to vomit towards the end. I haven't been this jacked in years!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm surprised nobody has posted in here since the start of the new year. I figured people would be all about getting in shape with New Year's Resolutions and whatnot.

Than again, my gym's membership has actually declined. January is normally such a busy time, but there are fewer people there now than there were when I joined.

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

See, I don't get New Year's resolutions. If people want to lose weight, then they should do it for good and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Period. There doesn't have to be a specific date on the calendar when they can start being fit and healthy.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, true, but I think it makes it easier for people to give themselves a starting point. New Years is just a good day to do that.

If it were me, though, I'd be a lot more motivated to start getting in shape in the spring. Winter makes people lazy, and if I wasn't already doing it regularly, I'd have a hard time getting myself to workout this time of year.

8. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I've been doing basic yoga stuff off of dvds and I can't believe how exhausted I get while barely moving! I did an ab one yesterday and I can definitely feel it today. But I can't wait to do more!

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree but if you start thinking about it in say October/November, Christmas is just around the corner and as if anyone doesn't overeat around then.

10. Gryffindorian

I understand the tendency to eat a lot during the holidays. But if people are so conscious about weight management, then they should try to eat healthy year-round. (And I know it's hard to diet during the holidays).

If we're talking about losing weight, why even call it a New Year's resolution? It sounds like people are trying to justify losing weight because of the New Year. Well, January 1, 2, 3, or 31 is just a date on the calendar. If people have weight to lose, it doesn't matter if it's Valentine's Day, Easter, the Fourth of July, or Yom Kippur.

11. Kestra

That's a bit simplistic, isn't it? Of course people should try to eat healthy year-round. But they don't, for differing reasons, and many people struggle with their weight, eating, and/or exercise habits for much of their life. So they look for a place to make a new start, to definitively break bad habits and form good ones. We all mess up and make mistakes and it's nice to feel like you get another chance at things, which is what New Year's is to some.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

People eat a lot during the holidays because, well, there is usually a lot more food available. I personally love the holidays BECAUSE I eat more...then again, I'm trying to bulk up.

I don't necessarily give myself Resolutions, but I do use New Years as a good point to evaluate myself and make changes to my routine to accommodate my different goals.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am attempting to start jogging. So far it's not going great. I think I need better shoes.

14. Kestra

Feet hurting, or what? I finally got a new pair after years and years, but I picked them mostly for prettiness and not really for function.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My current shoes are just a couple years old. They're loose and starting to fall apart. As a result, my ankles are kind of wobbly when I try to jog in them.

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I've hit the same issue as last year with my running. My foot is hurting me again (still think it's a misaligned cuboid bone), and when it's not hurting me, I'm struggling to get out. I feel like I've lost all momentum and it's a struggle to get going again, especially since every time I do get started, my foot starts acting up again.

17. Gryffindorian

Eating healthy and staying fit--I know it's easier said than done. My only gripe is why some people bother to even call it or make it a "New Year's" resolution to lose weight. When I lost weight last year, I didn't refer to it as my "summer resolution" or "Halloween resolution." It was just weight loss associated with eating a healthier diet, and the season or time of the year had nothing to do with it.

For instance, it's makes more sense to say, "My New Year's resolution is to be more sociable and outgoing" or "I resolve to lose my virginity this year." But losing weight? That's a goal everyone has to achieve on a personal level (not seasonal).

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think I forgot how to swim. I've done it maybe half a dozen times at my gym, and every time I get out of the pool I get incredibly dizzy. I think I'm getting water in my ears.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wahay! I've lost my Christmas weight. I'm back to having to wear belts.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Bought new running shoes last night. Gonna try 'em out in a little while. I'm trying to get in the habit of jogging now so that I can do it outside once Spring rolls around.