Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved this one!

But...
    I will miss Starburns.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A man's gotta have a code :lol:

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A-awesome. :o

Really good episode this week, and I say that as someone that has never seen a single episode of L&O. That final scene with the phone was fantastic.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LAW AND ORDER episode was AWESOME best ep to date.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think people are discounting a huge factor in this episode's awesomeness...Michael Ironside. Is there anything that isn't immediately made more awesome by his appearance?

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yes.

SeaQuest.

7. shivkala

I liked seaQuest 2032. [​IMG]

And wasn't it more awesome than season 2, at the very least? :bolian:

Besides, though I missed Bridger, I really liked Hudson, as well.

Next, I'll defend Starship Troopers. :devil:

Rasczak's Roughnecks!

8. doubleohfive

Funnily enough, I just bought tickets to the 15th anniversary screening of Starship Troopers for May 10. Ironside won't be there :( Oooh, Casper Van Dien... sci-fi's answer to Ryan Seacrest. Yay.

And I take back what I said about seaQuest, because you're right. 2032 was way better than season 2.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed "Basic Lupine Urology" quite a bit -- but I gotta say, I think it was a little too perfect of a parody. I really felt more like I was watching an episode of Law & Order our characters had been plugged into than like I was watching an episode of Community.

That sir, is an insult to the good name and reputation of Ryan Seacrest.

10. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! That's it exactly!

Community excels at poking fun at the generalities of a genre, but this was almost too specific and it was a bit distracting seeing how accurate they got things. On one hand, that's a compliment, they NAILED it. On the other, it was a bit distracting and, really, kind of a cheat.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was the credits that really pushed it over the line, but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyways.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

"Sorry about my partner. He's been on edge ever since we switched." :lol:

Yeah, the parody was probably a little too close to the mark, but it was still damn fun to watch.

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

"I can also help. As psych major I can..."Bong-Bong :lol::lol:

I ran this back three times, laughing like a fool. So many funny lines.

Hysterically funny episode. Loved Abed and Troy's good cop bad cop routine.

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

The streak of great episodes continues! I used to be a huge L & O fan, now I'm kinda over it, but I was laughing like crazy! I don't think it crossed the line, it just nailed it!

15. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Awww, I had such a crush on Rosalind Allen in Season 2!

I hadn't seen an episode of Law & Order in over 10 years, but every little spot-on detail triggered a memory, "Oh, yeaaaah! They always did that!"

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I dunno. I was kinda hoping that Serena Southerlyn would show up as the defense attorney, then make a pass at either Britta or Annie.;):drool:

This was one of my favorite episodes ever! Community and Law & Order are two of my all-time favorite TV shows. (All they needed were some Angel cameos & a side trip to Deep Space 9 and it would have been my ultimate fangasm!) I loved how they perfectly copied the shooting style of the show. Shirley did a subtle but brilliant Lt. Van Buren impression. And many kudos for bringing in Dr. Rodgers as the medical examiner. Even her Dr. Mengele line was a callback to the Season 6 episode "Charm City"!:bolian:

There's one thing that concerns me though. I've only seen a couple of episodes this season-- this one & the Civil War pillow fight episode. In both of those, Britta is only in the episode for a few seconds and it seems like she's generally dismissed and not treated very well. It feels like she's becoming the Meg Griffin of the show. (Or have I just accidentally stumbled upon the season's two worst examples of the glory that is Britta?)

I dunno. Season 2 had some really strong episodes in the 1st half of the season, like "Accounting for Lawyers," "Basic Rocket Science," and "Conspiracy Theories & Interior Design." Although I suppose it also had some unpleasantly dark episodes like "Aerodynamics of Gender" & "Mixology Certification."

Since amateur productions have access to fewer resources than the professionals do, I don't see how it's unfair to the professionals when it's the amateurs who suffer all the disadvantages. If a professional loses to an amateur, I would think he should reexamine the quality of his output.

No one ever complained that down-and-out Rocky Balboa had an unfair advantage over heavyweight-champion Apollo Creed.

I would also point out that, in the Oscars, there have been movies that were nominated for the general Best Picture category that were also nominated for Best Animated Feature (Up, Toy Story 3) or Best Foreign Film (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Life Is Beautiful). No one ever said that these nominations gave them an unfair advantage over their live-action, Anglo-American competition.

17. shivkala

You might be onto something. A few episodes ago focused on Britta and her ex, a Carnie. The episode treated Britta's relationship as an addiction. It definitely did not have her looking good and they concluded that this guy's hold over Britta was due to his total lack of shame. The worse Britta thought he was treating her, the more she wanted him.

Of course, that lead to an episode that tried to pair Britta and Troy, which was just an excuse to focus on Annie and Abed, which turned into a focus on Abed.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

19. doubleohfive

I don't get it.

20. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A chick comes out of the door, wiping her mouth, and the guy right after is coming out zipping his fly.