Vapor Trails (Rush CD)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why the fucking hell is this CD out of print? Nobody, and I do mean nobody, has it. The last one of their studio CDs that I have yet to get, and it's nowhere! Can't even buy it online! :mad: :(

And no, I can't buy it from iTunes, since they only have it in the DRM-hobbled crappy-bit-rate version. (Actually I could handle the DRM, but not the crappy bit rate!)

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Uh...

What?

Also, what you're hearing as "crappy bit-rate" on iTunes is more than likely the horrific production values of the album. Its sound is pretty bad.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

The bit-rate of DRM-protected songs on iTunes is only 128k. Even though they're in AAC format, how good could that possibly sound? I rip my CDs at twice that.

The only DRM'ed tracks I have from iTunes, I bought because 1) they were only stand-up comedy, and 2) not available AT ALL on CD.

As for Amazon: If they take 8 to 12 days to ship something, I highly doubt they have it in stock. Otherwise, why would it take so long?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With items that are not in large supply, it may take time to locate the item, box it up, and ship it to the distribution center nearest your area. Amazon estimates are usually a maximum and not a minimum. If you still feel uncertain, they also have the album for digital download, and CD Universe is shipping it within two days.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

They're supposed to be a reputable firm, I take it? These days I think a bit of caution is called for, whenever I consider buying something from a website I've never bought anything from before.

As for being in short supply: I don't understand why that would be the case. Vapor Trails is only a few years old, after all. It came out in, what, 2004? And wasn't it a reasonably large seller?

6. Smiley

CD Universe has been around for a long time for an internet retailer. I don't have firsthand experience buying from them, but I would trust them enough to make a purchase if they had an exclusive.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Hmmm. I'll think about it.

(Amazon's download service is not an option for me, since 1) they only offer MP3, and 2) I believe you have to download a separate application in order to buy, and I'm not willing to do that either.)

I'm still confused as to why this album isn't more widely available. It is relatively new, after all. And it's freaking Rush for cryin' out loud! :p

(I even checked Best Buy sites in *New York City* - who I always thought would have pretty much everything - and even they don't have it. Then again, I have found CDs at Best Buys here in my city, when their website checker said they didn't have it, so perhaps I should just wait till my NYC vacation comes up and try it then.)

8. Smiley

I don't know your time frame, but if it will leave the Best Buy warehouse in 1-2 weeks, why not consider BestBuy.com as an option? I can personally vouch for them that they do ship their backordered items.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

I avoid backorders whenever possible.

Generally, if something's not in stock, I prefer to find someplace else where it is.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Alex Lifeson admitted the album "came out too hot" recently. There are some production value issues with Vapor Trails. It's like every knob in the studio was turned up to 11.

I'd wait for the eventual remaster. The songs themselves are really great, especially Ceiling Unlimited, Earthshine, and Peaceable Kingdom.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

I realize that all of Rush's back catalog has had that done (up until Test For Echo) but I had no idea that something so new could need that.

So do you think it's actually realistic to wait for this CD to be remastered, like all the early ones have been? Might that be the reason it's so hard to find now?

12. Timby

First, it's "AAC."

Second, I've honestly never cared about anything about 128kbps for audio. I honestly can't tell the difference between a 128kbps iTMS file or a 192kbps MP3 rip.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

there are production issues with the album. it's like they were trying to compress a lot of sonic information into a little space. i can't explain it on a technical level. but the songs are great.. and on an ipod they sound good.

I like "Ceiling Unlimited", "Ghost Rider," "How it is" "Nocturne" and the title track

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I see it all the time in secondhand CD stores, you might want to check any of those in your local area.

Also, this video describes what happened in production with an album like Vapor Trails quite handily. The same applies to a lot of other good discs out there; one I really notice it on is Californiacation by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

15. Timby

During production, the album was recorded at a level that was just far too hot. As a result, the waveform of the album's sound is just a gigantic tidal wave, rather than having peaks, valleys, subtleties in the sound, anything like that.

16. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

I've bought dvd's from them for several years now and I have never had a problem with them.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I finally got a copy, and all I can say is:

I agree. :wtf:

Sometimes you can barely hear Geddy's singing...

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet when I play it on my Ipod, there is no problem, no distortion. I really love the music, all the layers of rhythm guitar that they put into it. It's a really dense record.

19. GMac

GMac Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have to agree there - good songs, but the production & mastering left a lot to be desired. A lot of stuff these days is recorded & mastered far too loud and that leads to compressed (and distorted) audio output through the speakers. It's not so noticeable on MP3 players but on a decent hi-fi rig it's a different story...... Re-mastering will sort the worst of the issues out, but it won't be a perfect cure as some of the problems stem from the actual recording sessions.

GM

20. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

Do you know, specifically, if this was the case with this CD? The artists (especially those as 'seasoned' as Rush) have some degree over the control of the recording while in studio.. albeit little or none re the mastering.