Scotty in the Pipe

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Sabataage, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Sabataage

Sabataage Commander Red Shirt

One thing apparently a lot of people agree on (who otherwise enjoyed the movie) is a dislike of the bit where Kirk and Scotty beam onto the Enterprise and Scotty winds up in a coolant pipe. On the commentary Abrams mentions that the producers, when going through the script -looking for things to cut, suggested this scene because it was costly and unneccary to the story. Abrams took issue and said that it was since he didn't want Transwarp Beaming to seem easy. There needed to be some of consequence for doing it. In fact, every time the transporter gets used something goes wrong, except the last time (The Rule of Three). I liked that a lot since it made beaming less of a plot convenience and more of an added danger.

I was wondering how they could have achieved this without resorting to a comic set piece involving Simon Pegg in a tranluscent tube. One way would have them simply transport several feet off the ground and then drop like Wile E. Coyote after they're finished beaming. Elaborating on that idea you could have them reappear upside down, sideways, diagonal or whatever. In space there is no up or down.

2. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Its not so much the situation that bothered me, rather the engineering "set" itself. God I hope they remodel engineering for the next movie. The brewery has to go

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Willy Wonka.

[​IMG]

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I thought it was funny.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was that actually supposed to be engineering or was it sub-engineering?

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Engineering is probably big, with all sorts of different "environments"

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Engineering deck, Turbine Station 3 (also mentioned in dialogue.) You kinda get the impression that there's a lot more to Engineering than just the turbine room

9. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The bit with the choppy swirly blades reminded me of the scene from Galaxy Quest.

10. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

The scene likely had the same inspiration and goal.

11. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the scene worked well enough for how they did it, and since they did it with CGI it turned out to be less expensive than the producers thought (and it wasn't even that long, either). But if you're looking for a simpler way to do it, you would have simply had Scotty beam into a big translucent tank behind Kirk and Kirk having to blast him out with a phaser.

12. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I thought the scene was really funny

13. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I could have sworn that was mentioned in the commentary. Or did i make that up? In any event, that was the first thing i thought of when i saw those blades. What really put the icing on the cake was Pine's expression. It clearly said, "WTF?????"

I'll admit, the first time i saw the movie i thought this scene (and the big hands scene) were over the top. But after the first viewing, once i removed the canon that was up my butt, i relaxed and really enjoyed both scenes. For those that say Star Trek shouldn't have this kind of humor, i suggest watching Star Trek IV to refresh their memories. That movie had plenty of over the top humor that worked, and no one has ever accused that movie of not being "Star Trek".

And just to repeat myself from other posts, i had absolutely no problem with engineering.

14. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

yes Pine was very good in the water tube scene poor Scotty

15. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Double dumbass on you!

16. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::lol::rommie: exactly!

17. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    ^Star Trek definitely needs more Shakespearian moments like these ones, it's great fun and breaks the tension of the film.

18. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

^The hell they do... :shifty:

19. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just want to say I think "Scotty in the Pipe" is a hell of a name for a band.

20. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:Perfect! :techman:

I've had no problem with the humor since the very first time I saw it. Both the 'hands' scene and the 'Scotty/tube' scene were well done.