Death & the holodeck

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Makarov, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

In "The Bonding", Troi and Picard get into a pretty detailed explanation of how human beings (specifically, since Jeremy IS human) experience death as a natural part of life. Nothing they say suggests anything has changed in the grieving process since our time. I'm sure plenty of people in the Trek universe have tried 'bringing back' loved ones, and ultimately found it to be unnatural and unhealthy. I know I would.

Any episode that involves the recreation of a person that has passed is tragic.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Unless we're talking about a hologram with The Doctor or Moriarty level complexity, the hologram would still be just a simulation. No matter how realistic the simulation is it would still be a Realdoll, and wouldn't feel like anything other than masturbation.

You can't really love a woman you have complete control over. At best she'd be a very effective loneliness bandaid. If a woman can't say no to you, you feel nothing when she says yes.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In Generations, there is this thing about Picard's grieve... it's not the usual selfish “I miss them“ grieve, he is instead sad FOR them, because they can't enjoy all the good stuff anymore. I liked that.

4. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

As we've seen with The Doctor and Moriarty holoprograms can become sentient. If someone were to recreate a deceased person accurately enough that the program becomes sentient, would that program be considered the same person as its model?

Though to be honest the whole holoprogam sentience thing got blurry after TNG. The Doctor was sentient yes, but were Zimmerman's other holograms? Were the other EMHs also sentient? It gets confusing because of the way that holoprograms begin to act. In DS9 the holoprograms seem to be self-aware in the fact that they are holograms. Where is the line drawn?

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Nobody on DS9 considered Vic Fontaine as sentient even though he was believable enough that they emotionally connected to him as if he were.

The program would not be the same person as its model. It would be a new individual, who behaves very similarity to the original.

6. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True but when you make the computer create the person, this representation will say no to you just like the real one. You can turn control to the computer, make it "read only" so you can't edit whenever you feel like, sprinkle in a dash of sentience and you've essentially cloned the person.

7. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's face it...presented with the "able to", many of us would "bring our loved one back" in a heartbeat...others of us would consider it profane and disgusting...I think the Holo-Powers-That-Be left it ambiguous on purpose, to show just that...some would, to some degree or other, and some would not...

8. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would depend on the computar being able to extrapolate the actions of the person. If I want to see some person and have to describe to the computer exactly what I want to see/hear, it wouldnt be so much fun.

I meand, if I would visit holo-Grandma, I'd ask "how was your day" for example

9. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Where the hell did you get this from?!?

:confused: