The Trouble With Trials And Tribble-Ations

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by I-Am-Zim, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

If anyone's interested, I have posted an extended version of the TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" combined with the DS9 episode "Trials And Tribble-Ations" on YouTube. You can click here to view part 1. There are 10 parts that are approximately 10 minutes each. I used the DS9 episode as a starting point and added in all the footage from the original TOS episode from the remastered version. It turned out pretty well. The transitions are smooth and clean especially where TOS meets DS9. Some scenes were very tricky, but I think the overall result was very well executed. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I also have an extended version of "The Cage"/"The Menagerie" that I may post soon. Basically, I used the TOS-R versions of "The Menagerie" and edited in all the footage from "The Cage" that wasn't used in the original episode. It worked out quite nicely too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    First to the OP, not sure if I'll have the time to watch all of this, but I think you've got some really neat ideas here, and I applaud you taking the time to put these together.

Second, to the Paramount lawyers who will probably see this and blow a gasket: stop. A: This person is not asking for money and B: I would *pay* money to get stuff like this on DVD. You love double dipping us, so just put forth a smidge more effort than you usually do, give us something truly worth paying for like this, and we will buy.

I've actually mentioned before how there are several nuBSG 2-3 episode story arcs that I would love to see rereleased, edited into movie form with any deleted scenes put back in. I would buy them and gladly put them beside all the seasons on DVD of BSG I've already purchased. Never thought about it for Trek, but now I'm interested.

3. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I won't get in any trouble. There are literally hundreds of episodes of Trek on youtube and they're still there. But I thoroughly enjoyed putting those episodes together. And they're a lot of fun to watch.

And I've actually made my own DVD's of both episodes so that I can watch them on the big 42" plasma! It's pretty awesome!

Also, I just noticed that part 10 of Tribbles didn't upload so I just re-uploaded it. So for anyone who has time to watch the whole thing, it's a little over 100 minutes long, I really hope you enjoy it!

Hahaha! I just noticed that I'm not the only one who has done one of these combination tribbles episodes. There's a German dubbed version on YouTube also! But I must say, not to toot my own horn or anything, but mine's better.:biggrin:

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You assume that David Gerrold appreciates someone grafting new material onto his script and then offering it up to the Internet for free, where he will receive no royalty payment either?

Of course Paramount's lawyers will want it pulled down.

5. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

If Paramount's lawyers have a problem with it, I will be more than happy to pull it. I just thought it would be fun. I wanted to see what the DS9 episode would look like if all the footage from the TOS episode was included. Personally, I think it's cool as heck. But that's just me.

I really hope they don't pull it. It really is a whole sack full of awesome!

6. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I really like it too. It's especially a treat for me, because you've got my favourite "Star Trek" episode AND my favourite "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" episode all rolled into one! Pure bliss...thank you, thank you, thank you! :adore:

7. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

You're welcome. Believe me, putting that video together was a labor of love. "The Trouble With Tribbles" is one of my very favorite TOS episodes. And when I first saw the DS9 episode "Trials And Tribble-Ations" back in '96, I wanted to know what it would look like if the two were truely combined into one extended episode. Unfortunately, I didn't have the money or the technology at that time to do it properly. I have the tech now, and what you see is the result. Believe it or not, it only took me about 2 hours to do the actual editing. I used NeroVision Express for the editing and rendering. It's a very easy to use program and works quite well.

Hopefully, I'll have my extended version of "The Menagerie/The Cage" up soon.

8. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    You mistake my intent. The new material was already grafted on, back when DS9 did their take. And I seem to recall Gerrold played some part at that time. So that issue has already been somewhat dealt with.

And the intent of my addressing the Paramount lawyers to not take it down was to say "don't just take it down to never be seen again, do something with it and maybe even make a few bucks on old material (instead of just repackaging it over and over)".

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd been planning on doing this very thing for a while now. Ya beat me to it, ya bum. ;)

I look forward to seeing how you mashed everything together.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've wanted to see this done for a long time. Well done. I've enjoyed it.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, he approved that version - and had a cameo in it - but he doesn't get any payment when people watch the Youtube version.

12. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Thanks everybody! I'm glad you're all enjoying it! I've noticed that it's been viewed a lot lately! I had a lot of fun making this video and I've watched it several times myself. I never get tired of it. It took me several "rough drafts" to get it right. I think there may be a couple of places that I could still tweak. But for the most part, I think it's just about as close to perfect as I can get it.

13. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Thanks for all the work putting this together, will watch tonite at home!

14. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

I love doing stuff like this. I am currently working on a "Zim Cut" of NuTrek where I have edited out the Spock/Uhura nonsense (personal taste - I didn't care for it) and edited in some of the deleted scenes. I'm not completely done with it yet, and I may or may not post it on YouTube.

I'm also working on an extended version of "The Cage/The Menagerie" including all the footage from "The Cage" that wasn't used in "The Menagerie". It should be over 2 hours long when I'm done. Again, I may or may not post it on YouTube. We'll see.

And thanks again for the compliments!

15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And not to worry. If paramount objects, they'll contact YouTube and they will pull the video(s) in question. However, if you get something yanked three times, your account is closed. Some studios have a problem with using their stuff, some don't. And the instances of objection seem pretty arbitrary.

16. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Wow. I just checked and a lot of people have been watching my Tribbles video on YouTube. That's pretty cool. No comments though. Hmmm. Anyway, enjoy!!

17. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

thanks for the uploads, watching yours and the original episode it painfully reminded me how bad an actor Avery Brooks was in his role on DS9.

18. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's great! Thanks! Probably no comments because people are watching it in full-screen mode.

19. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Thanks! I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. I had a lot of fun putting it together.