Re-Imagined K'tinga/D7

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by REL, Apr 7, 2011.

1. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

Thank you very much. I would be happy to write up what I used and how if you'd like.

I primered the top to check my work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I've seen a lot of fan designs look gorgeous, and a lot of em look sexy, but I can't say I've seen many that look right.

This looks right.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

This is what the Vor'cha should have been.

--Alex

4. exiledpiasa

exiledpiasa Ensign Red Shirt

that is very cool. i love the way it looks like a killing blade slashing towards you. very cool.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just amazed at how perfect it all is. I'd swear it was a model in 3D software except sometimes there are real-world bits in it that prove I'm wrong.

6. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

Thank you.

I'm working on the bridge shape now.

[​IMG]

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is one of those very few non canon designs that should be considered otherwise. :techman:

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Yes, definitely ILM worthy.

9. Ultramann

Ultramann Lieutenant Red Shirt

When you finish that you need to tackle a Romulan warbird. If this is an indication it would be awesome!

10. Psion

No, no, no, no! Don't thank me, son. I'm gonna have you dragged out of your house and burned at the stake for witchcraft unless you prove this is simple craftmanship. Only someone who has consorted with Lucifer himself can possibly throw together a model of this quality with plexiglass and a few scraps of styrene.

Can you show some photos of the entire process of development for something like this little piece? Like the rest of the ship you're building, this bridge looks fantastic, but there it is nearly finished. It's been glued together, primed, sanded, and then attached to another piece and puttied and sanded ... but ... would it be possible for you to slow down on one of these components and show the design sketch, the raw components, then the assembly process step-by-step, before you get to this part? Just a handful of detailed images or one big collage or something?

'Cause otherwise, I'm gathering kindling.

11. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Heh.

More of the process I would like to see as well, but if he didn't take the pics already, then it's going to be more effort than he probably wants to expend.

Instead I ask that when he remodels the Romulan Bird of Prey, he remembers to fully document the event.

(See how I didn't even assume he wouldn't do a BoP... That's got to be a sure thing now, right?) :mallory:

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We don't need to burn him, per se.

Witches burn, so they're probably made of wood or something. We could build a chair out of him, or mayhaps some charming folk art.

13. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Just saw this for the first time. Absolutely incredible!

14. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

I haven't been taking a lot of pics of the process itself. But how I'm making a lot of the shapes is by vac forming styrene.

First I make a form, it can be out of anything, wood, or plexi etc. Any material that can withstand the heat and pressure of the vac forming process.

Then after it's vac formed, you have a hollow part just like a regular styrene kit.

To get the panels, I vac form a second layer of thinner styrene over the top, then draw out the pattern and cut the panels out and glue them on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Psion

[blinks]

Now what am I supposed to do with all this firewood?

Anyone up for roasting weenies?

Thanks, REL, that was a wonderful presentation. And then you take these vac-formed components and glue them to your acrylic hull?

16. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh, save it for a cold winter day. Or a summer bonfire.

I suppose it shouldn't be that much of a surprise that he is so impressive, because while going through the older art threads, I came across REL's scratch built K'tinga, which is pretty impressive itself.

17. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

Thanks again.

I'm starting on some of the hyper detailing now, scribing, little panels etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i envy your skill with the burning fire of a thousand suns soaked in blood wine.

19. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Is it just me, or do the panels going along the top-center of the bridge module remind you of Klingon forehead ridges? Neat.

And I love the little radial strips surrounding the bridge area. I've noticed those on the Klingon ships (except of course, MJ's D-7). I could never imagine a sensible purpose to having them there, but dang, it sure looks more like a Klingon ship with them in place!

--Alex

20. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for noticing, that was my intention.