Chris Pine/Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Taylirious, Apr 27, 2014.

1. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

:rofl:...now that you mention it, McCoy/Kelley was usally pissed off at someone...and I can see the "impressionist", but he sure does it well, for what it is...

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

My problem with nuSpock's character is that there is no development. He still is the very same child with anger management issues he was in the beginning of Trek 09. When that movie came out, I said that at the end of the film Spock hasn't changed, all it needed was some taunting and he would go berserk. And in Into Darkness, that was proven to be true. He still can't handle his anger and starts beating the crap out of people.

He isn't given much more to do in the films, that might be the issue.

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see Pine Kirk as a better person in the next movie.

I'd like to see more of him being an awesome tactical captain earning the respect of his crew through his captaincy not through how many women he can bed at once.

I hate all his interactions with Spock in STID. The name calling, complaining to Uhura about Spock.

Hopefully that's all settled in the next movie and Kirk, Spock and McCoy become a united (but not perfect) team like they were in TOS.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pine's had some great Kirk moments, where he wasn't Shatner but really Kirk was we know him.

In ST09, when Uhura confronts him when she says 'I hope you know what you're doing, 'captain'.' And his reply, from what he said, how he said it, the look in his eyes, the feelings behind them.... completely Kirk. Kirk never believed in the no-win scenario, not because he simply didn't, but because he felt he couldn't afford to. Not when it ment someone could die. That didn't mean he think he was incapable of feeling, he just told himself not to. That small moment of vulnerability we saw at that moment, was something we've seen from Kirk in TOS and the movies aswell. The way Pine delivered that, stunning.

That, and the moment at the end of the movie, when he was been given command of the Enterprise, and they're about to go underway. He steps onto the bridge, looks around, sees Bones.... Perfect Kirk-moment.

5. HIjol

...amen, Sister,...like they were!...there are some things that should not change...and if we are not going to enjoy the Kirk/Spock/McCoy synergy, then what in the hell... :techman:

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Urban admit he was basically channeling Kelley? His McCoy is an homage to Kelley's McCoy rather than his interpretation of the character.

Pine nailed the character of Kirk in STID. Nailed it. Tape measure job. I look forward to where he takes the more mature Kirk in the next movie.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

When did Kirk whine or act like a baby in ID?

8. Commishsleer

I don't recall the character of Kirk being a whiny baby in TOS. ;):lol:

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I dunno, the "no beach to walk on" speech is kind of whiny. ;)

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect an answer will not be forthcoming. This is just "let's use the same strategy we used on the SW prequels".

11. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

Chris Pine's Kirk is a complete moron with no redeeming qualities or features who inherits his position without doing anything to earn it. Though, I'm sure this is not Pine's fault, but rather the fault of the writers and directors. Pine's Kirk seems to embody the idiotic 20-something frat-boy male archetype that is very much in vogue in Hollywood these days.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He just saved the world. Rescued Chris Pike from Romulans. Saved another planet. Exposed a highest-level plot at Starfleet and stopped a planned war with the Klingons.

Nope, he didn't do a thing:p

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He did that in away missions. In what way does away mission qualify him to command a starship? It rather qualifies him to be some sort of special forces dude. But not commanding officer of a ship.
    I just wanted to say something about that, but the whole plot is totally messed up anyways. I never thought I'd say this, but Abramstrek 1 is the better film.

14. Commishsleer

1. When he was talking to Uhura about how Spock was mean or something. I actually don't get Uhura and Kirk's problem with Spock here.

2. To a lesser extent Kirk making racist remarks to Spock on the shuttle ride back to the Enterprise.

I don't care if Spock was mean or a dobber or unfair. Kirk's in charge. He doesn't have to resort to name calling or gossiping to a 'girlfriend'. He just needs to man up like he did with Scotty or going over to face Marcus himself.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually it was less Spock being mean and more question what his Kirk's decisions, and considering Sisko basically threatened to shove his foot up Kira's ass for doing something like that and Jellico fired Riker over it he was kind of restrained over it.

And yes Spock had a point but it still doesn't change that under Star Trek rules Kirk can chew Spock out about.

16. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

If you've watched Almost Human you can see he didn't change his delivery that much in the Star Trek Movies.

I think outstanding casting is what needs to be herlded here.

17. Commishsleer

In the post Nero universe of ST09 saving Earth does qualify you for whatever the %^$# you want. The hand of the Federation President's daughter. The key to the Whitehouse's bathroom. The captaincy of the Earth's flagship is the least they can do. ;):)

I'm not objecting to Kirk imposing discipline. Just the way he did it. He shouldn't have to resort to making racist comments or whining to Spock's girlfriend.

18. HIjol

Hey, now...do not hold back...say what you really think...

19. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

:D :D

20. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

He became Captain of the Enterprise after goading Spock to beat him up. At that point in the film, he'd done absolutely nothing to demonstrate any kind of leadership capabilities, instead only proving himself an idiot (and probably mentally ill) at every turn. After all, prior to that point, all he's done is 1. be born, 2. trash a car, 3. get in a barfight, 4. cheat on an exam, 5. beat guys up and fire a guy. I'm not sure where in there he demonstrates any kind of cunning or skill or leadership abilities (unless his ability to beat guys up and fire a gun qualify him to command the Federation's flagship). I guess all the events which prove his leadership abilities must've occurred off-screen.

And if you examine the events of the films following this event, none of his actions come from the content of his character, but instead come from the plot (and I use the term loosely). J.J. Abrams' films are those in which the characters do whatever is required from them in order to advance the plot; the story does not come from the characters, but rather the plot.