Rumor: Trek 2013 tidbit

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Balrog, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Thanks to my other hobby, Hot Wheels collecting, this little bit of news leaked out at the Hot Wheels Collector message board:

Star Trek 1/50 Scale - Star Trek collector ship series to include 2013 New Movie Ship, USS Exclsior NCC-2000 and the new 2013 Klingon Battle Cruiser from the new movie.

I'm sure not many people saw this last part as being a big deal, but it may be...

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I imagine there'll be a few here interested in hearing further news about that.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Excesior?? Isnt that, like, 30 years early in-universe?

Does that mean Peter Weller is Captain Styles?? He is said to have taken a photo of his daughter in the captain's chair of "his" ship.

I hope they reuse the Klingon Warbirds from STXI's Kobayashi Maru. They looked really cool.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, I think the collector series probably includes ships from multiple eras of Trek. Since two of the ships mentioned in that sentence are separately specified as being from the new 2013 movie, that probably means the Excelsior, which doesn't get that specification, is not from the new movie but is the familiar one from ST III/VI.

5. F. King Daniel

Oh, I took it to mean the 2013 new movie ship WAS the Excelsior. As in, clarifying it was a new version.

I think I misunderstood.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Doesn't mean the Klingon ship plays any bigger part in the new movie than it did in the last movie.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Toy tie-ins can be tricky. I remember the toy line for the first GHOST RIDER movie included villains (like the Scarecrow) who never appeared in the movie.

Heck, the toys for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES include a Batmobile, even though that car was blown up in the previous film!

8. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I'm betting that Joseph Gatt is a Klingon.

9. F. King Daniel

If I recall correctly, it was a toy fair or catalogue or something that gave us our first look at the Narada - albeit in a toy that was never actually released!

10. Greg Cox

A digression: the cover art for a GARGANTUA novelization I edited years ago was actually based on packaging for a toy line that never happened!

For those that don't recall, GARGANTUA was a GODZILLA knockoff Fox aired back around the time of the big GODZILLA remake. Yes, there was a novelization, written (under a pseudonym) by our own Keith DeCandido!

It seemed like a good idea at the time . . . :)

11. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Will these Hot Wheels ships be around the same size as the ones released during the last movie?

Just curious.....

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

13. F. King Daniel

Sounds great to me - why let the art go to waste if it's a perfect fit for the novel?

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Sorry for going off topic...I love Godzilla and the Gargantuas...can you tell? What was the name of the Novilization? I would love to read it. Shoot me a PM if you don't want to continue derailing the thread further.

15. Greg Cox

The book was titled GARGANTUA and it had nothing to with the big shaggy creatures from the Japanese films. It was a tv-movie starring Adam Baldwin of all people that aired on Fox the week the GODZILLA remake opened.

The author was "K. Robert Andreassi."

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't suppose there was a sequel called Pantagruel?

17. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I adore the Johnny Lightning Trek ships. The separating Generations Enterprise D is on my desk right now. I loved the D-7 too, but I yanked out the distracting "battle damage." Hopefully these Hot Wheels variety are of the same quality.

PS. Good looking out, Lloyd Dobler. These rumors of any sort are a scarcity! Very encouraging to hear we get NuKlingons and their glorious war fleet.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  18. Greg Cox

Talk to Keith.

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the clarification.

20. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

But we already knew about the Klingons. There's a couple of other things we already know as well.