DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm on the verge of dropping Batgirl...Gail Simone is capable of so much better. She is avoiding what fans want to know and that is how Babs regained the use of her legs, although long time readers and readers of Morrison's The Road Home one shot probably have guessed already.

The preview of Action #3 is awesome and yeah Krypto is Jor-El's dog in this relaunch.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm not seeing any difference between the writing on this Batgirl comic and the previous one.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's only the second issue, I'm sure sooner or later we'll be told how Barbra got the use of her legs back, I mean why blow your entire load right off the bat?

4. Admiral_Young

I understand that. Just the way though the book and Babs was hyped though made people excited. I dunno. Simone is just capable of better stuff. I don't think we're getting it from her right now. @Zombie Cheerleader are you referring to Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl book? There's quite a bit of difference since we're dealing with two different characters.

I will say that I am enjoying Barbara's difficult adjusting to the role again. She's hesitating and a little frightened due to not being Batgirl in a very long time...well a while with all this timeline nonsense in the New 52 it's hard to say how long she hasn't been Batgirl.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats exactly the problem.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I believe internal-monologue in the second issue says it's been three years since she's been Batgirl.

EDIT:

First page, Second Issue, bottom-right panel. Batgirl's internal monologue says it's been three-years since The Joker shot her.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Seems like typical Simone to me as well.

8. Admiral_Young

Ah well there you go. My point exactly lol.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You got all that from the two panels she appears where the only thing revealed about her was that she is an editor of the entertainment section of the Planet and would rather interview celebrities instead of the homeless? Seems like you are inferring a helluva lot more than what was actually in the issue. :lol:

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am actually really liking this book for similar reasons. I like the amount of text in the book; it makes it feel like something out of the silver age. The aliens in each book also give it a similar retro feel, but it gives a sense that it is building toward something important.

Strangely, my biggest question about the new Superman costume is where does he hide it when he is dressed as Clark Kent?

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Same place he always has.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Yep. We've just yet to see him rip open his shirt.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But this costume is bulkier and has that high collar.

14. Admiral_Young

^ So? His traditional costume would be kind of hard to conceal under a suit...especially with his cape.

15. Broccoli

From what I can tell, it all depends on who is drawing him.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not "inferring" a thing. The heavy-handed writing explicitly establishes that she's not only without any interest or empathy for anyone or anything other than the glitterati - "I don't do homeless stories...unless, of course, a celebrity is involved" - but that she is too clueless or uncaring about how shallow and narrow she appears to normally socially-functioning adults that she actually babbles to Clark about "all that boring 'social issues' stuff."

Really?

And that's only quoting two sentences of the four dialogue-drowned panels in which she monologues at Kent with an attitude and phraseology that no human being is likely ever to use and that is hard to conceive as coming from the pen of anyone other than a junior writer for Married With Children or Open House at their worst.

Inference? Jesus, Perez doesn't leave any room for inference - he seems to be afraid that readers will be confused if he doesn't paint words on the characters' foreheads. :rolleyes:

17. Admiral_Young

He also seems to be stuck in the 80's with his dialogue at times...the issue was a lot better than the first and I enjoyed it but I'm going to really enjoy when Jurgens and Griffin come aboard.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm particularly frustrated with this title because of the contrast with Action, which is awesome right now.

19. Broccoli

Shallow, for sure. But saying she was a "complete caricature of an air-headed gossip columist - even more over-the-top than she was in the first season of Lois & Clark" is something that simply wasn't there.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully Jurgens influence on the book is kept to a minimum