Why does Scotty take Peter Preston to the bridge?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by BoredShipCapt'n, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I'd like to know the answer myself. Recently I had been rereading the scene where Kirk asks Scotty to fix the main energizer but Scotty disobeys because of the lethal radiation levels in the energizer room.

It has the feel of a deleted scene and I believe that Vonda McIntyre based her novelization on an early script but some scenes were altered last minute prior to shooting. Admittedly, Scotty blocking the turbo lift and holding the dying body of his nephew added drama and a surprise effect to the final scene.

"In-universe" I think Workbee provided a sound and very good rationalization.
    Of course I wonder if Scotty had been done with all the critical and instantly required emergency repairs but that's a different story.

Bob

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

McCoy: "I'm sorry, Scotty. If only you'd gotten to sickbay just a few minutes earlier we might have been able to save him."

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly, this was explained this way in the novelization by Vonda McIntyre. (sp?) I don't think those books are considered canon, but that explanation works for me.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see any explanation other than dramatic effect. And it was certainly a dramatic moment.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Don't worry, laddie, I'll get ye ta sickbay on time...I know this ship like the back of me hand..."

[Turbolift door opens onto the bridge.]

"Ah, sh!t...."

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Iirc the novelization also explains that Peter was exposed to escaping coolant gasses which pretty much frakked up his lungs and that there wasn't much else McCoy could do.

7. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the best explanation I've heard yet. :lol: