MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Didn't this happen a few years ago with the player eventually suing because his agent happened to double as a lawyer. I believe the case was based on the players right to counsel or something to that effect. I don't remember the details but I think he won the case.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't understand how Amaro continues to have a job. Does the Phillies ownership just not pay any attention to the team?

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

ARIOD did it to himself.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Stupid Rivals.com puns like "A-Roid" are, well, stupid.

It's even worse when you can't spell your stupid pun correctly. ;)

Amaro was Pat Gillick's hand-picked successor, and since Gillick was the GM who built the 2008 World Series team, Amaro gets some leeway.

Also, now that the team is raking in money from Citizens Bank Park, David Montgomery doesn't give a shit about how they perform as long as people show up for the games.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. Yanks

Spelling is irrelevant. :lol:

6. Yanks

The Yankees agree to Gardner for 4 years 52 million.

I believe this to be a good deal. Home grown guy, tough out, under-rated fielder.

Depending on how Jeter does, could be the number 2 hitter sometime this year, for sure the number 1 or 2 spot next year.

7. Yanks

Wow, no comments on the new home-plate/catcher/runner MLB rule?

Baseball is now heading in to the failed NFL realm.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I actually think it's good. It's very simple, with a lot of latitude.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

THey'll have to refine it as they go, but a good start. Basically, just have to slide into home vice trying for the open field tackle. Since the rest of the sport is non-contact, intentionally trying to bowl over the catcher was always dumb. Try for the plate instead...

10. Tom Hendricks

As someone who was a catcher my entire baseball career, pee-wees all the way past High School I can tell you I never blocked the plate. I always stood at the front of the plate and would do the swipe tag, just my way. It kept me from getting hurt, I'm sure of it.

11. Timby

It really doesn't change anything, though. The rule explicitly states that once he has the ball, the catcher can still block the plate. It was already not allowed for the catcher to block the plate without the ball, so I don't see where this "rule" actually changes anything.

Basically, it's been against the rules but never gets called. Ergo, I expect it to continue to never get called.

12. Yanks

Exactly.

I think this rule gives an unfair advantage to the catcher.

The same situation exists at 2nd and 3rd, but the fielders chose not to put their bodies in harms way (most of the time). The difference for the play at home is the catcher is all armored up and they CHOSE to block the plate and take on an "unarmoured" base runner. I'd say 99 percent of all collisions are caused by a catcher chosing to block home to stop the run, bot base-runner "leaving the baseline" to intientionally take out the catcher.

13. Timby

Not really, because it's already been against the rules for years. This is a rule change that doesn't actually change anything.

In other news, the Angels sign Mike Trout to a 1 / 1 deal. Nice bit of luxury tax evasion there; MLB really needs to fix those loopholes.

14. Yanks

The rules DOES change things. Whether that is needed is another story.

Not sure it was a LT thing with Trout, could be but if you were Trout wouldn't you suck that market up when you time came? I think he turned down a multi-year offer from the Angels.

15. Timby

Trout is going to be entering arbitration soon, and the Angels are going to extend him -- everyone knows it. By renewing him for 2014 before the extension (if they don’t change the terms of the 2014 renewal), it doesn’t change the 2014 tax ... whereas if they signed the extension before renewing him, they’d get hit with a tax bill and lose the 2014 reset (the reset that had the Yankees gunning for Project 189 for so long). So now they're going to sign him to a massive 2015 contract. This was entirely a luxury tax scam.

16. Yanks

I don't know that I would call that a 'scam'... seems pretty smart to me.

The Angels will only extend him if he wants to stay.

Not sure why the #1 player in all of baseball wouldn't want to be a free agent.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

"Scam" is such an ugly word...

;)

18. Tom Hendricks

The O's gave Johan Santana a minor league contract. In his tryouts his top velocity was 81, with him averaging 77-78 on his fastball.

19. Timby

Which makes Johan "oh god my arm is falling off" Santana healthier than Grant Balfour in the eyes of the O's. :lol:

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Speaking of arms falling off, Dr. Frank Jobe has passed.

Story

If there's a place in the BB HOF for doctors, this guy should get a shot. How many careers in the last 40 years were saved because of Tommy John surgery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.