Favourite Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Favourite Doctor?

1. 1st Doctor-William Hartnel

3.0%
  2. 2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton.

13.0%
  3. 3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee

5.0%
  4. 4th Doctor-Tom Baker

21.0%
  5. 5th Doctor-Peter Davidson

2.0%
  6. 6th Doctor-Collin Baker

7.0%
  7. 7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy

6.0%
  8. 8th Doctor-Paul McGann

2.0%
  9. 9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston

8.0%
  10. 10th Doctor-David Tennant

21.0%
  11. 11th Doctor-Matt Smith

12.0%
  1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the amount of continuity it keeps. It could easily have been some disrespectful JJ Abrams-esque reboot but they kept everything! They started with McCoy eating jelly babies, and we even had The Master's cheetah eyes from Survival.

It actually did well in the ratings here in the UK so it's a shame we never got a McGann series.

2. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Read The Adventuress of Henrietta Street.

That goes for all of you. :shifty:

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the record, McGann's my second favourite. He's very close behind my favourite, Tennant. The problem is he only appeared in one adventure (I don't read any of the novels, comics, or listen to any of the audio mind you. I have I feeling I'd love a lot of his audios. I'm surprised they've not made a time war audio yet, and I'm surprised no fan have taken audios and made animations for it.). If he appeared in a few more, he may have taken my top spot.
    Yeah, oh my god I love the McGann console! It's definitely my favourite. Wonderful steampunk feel to it.

I love the classic white one too, but McGann's just tops it. I don't like the Eccleston/Tennant tardis at all, to organic, and Smith's first tardis was the worst. Just a mirror copy of the E/D one. I don't mind the new tardis though. Mind you, I don't like the fact some of it's CGI. It sort of takes some of the magic out of it. Plus it's too shadowy in the new one.

I'd love the McGann tardis to return. Really, I'd like them to permanently switch to that one or one similar.

I do wish McGann had appeared in some more movies, however it may have been a blessing is disguise that the series was not picked up as they had some horrible ideas for it, they would have retconned it a lot, with remakes of old episodes, and the awful pirate redesign of the cybermen and the stupid name "cybs". Na, I'd have liked a few films or specials which were faithful to the canon.

What does everyone think of McGann's redesigned costume?

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

McGann is one of the best incarnations, but only if you include the audio adventures. The movie's story was so mediocre that it's barely worth a footnote.

5. Green Lantern

Oh I love the movie. In my top five doctor who's ever.

As for McGann audios, what would everyone recommend listening to first?

I'm thinking of checking a few out to see if it's as good as everyone makes out.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

7. lennier1

Some of my favorites would be
    2.1 Dead London
    2.3 Brave New Town
    2.5 Grand Theft Cosmos
    2.7/2.8 Sisters of the Flame / Vengeance of Morbius (a two-parter including Alexander Siddig)
    4.03 Nevermore (Doctor Who's take on the Edgar Allen Poe poem)

8. Green Lantern

Indeed. But at the end of the day, it's a choice between more time with McGann or the canon. I choose the canon, although I'd sacrifice a lot of good episodes to see more McGann.

I love both myself. Yeah, I think McGann's costume was perfect with his tardis. It was like a young version of Hartnel's outfit, and suited McGann so well. However, his new one looks good on him too, and with McGann's slight sign of aging, it works better with him now. Plus it's more practical, so for things like the time war, it'd be ideal. However, if Mcgann returned for the 50th, I'd rather he be in his original outfit, maybe without the wig though. Maybe a hybrid.

In my own little canon in my head, McGann wore the Victorian outfit for the majority of his time, he adopted his new outfit near before the time war.

Man I'd love to make a fan fiction about McGann and the time war. I'd make it a series.

9. Green Lantern

Ah, thanks for the advice. :) I fancy blood of the daleks. I've always favoured adventures with recurring villains, so I think that'd be the best place to start. But thanks for the suggestions, I'll remember to check them out. :)

Are these available on You Tube, or would I have to buy them?

10. lennier1

Don't know about any streams. The audio books are about ten bucks per adventure as a download or thirteen bucks on physical media with bonus material. IMHO that's a fair price. Don't forget that these don't make a lot of profit. They're more of a gift to the fandom that just happens to manage to cover the production costs.

11. Green Lantern

Yeah, you've got a point. I don't really want to spend any money really until I know I like them and I'm gonna maybe listen to them again.

Once I got some tenth doctor audios free with the radio times, a friend put the audio on in the car CD player, and it didn't work. I don't think it worked in any other CD players either. Is that just because they're cheap freebies, or because you need a special CD player or something for them?

12. Green Lantern

Also, I heard that sometimes they do radio series so you could just tune into radio 4 or something and listen to the audio. I've been scanning the radiotimes a bit, but I've not spotted any. Does anyone know when the next series or whatever is on?

13. lennier1

Don't know about your playback problems, but the copy protection on modern CDs has become so bad that they can't even carry the "Audio CD" logo any longer because they don't comply with the standards the manufacturers have to respect. Can't comment on the British TV broadcast either, since I live in Germany.

Here's the later theme for the 8th Doctor's Big Finish adventures (the video part is just looped footage from the movie to accompany the audio):
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bDreb8-fR8[/yt]

And a trailer for the multi-episode special, taking place shortly before the regeneration into Eccleston (look at the leather coat):
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU4LyO0E8gM[/yt]

It seems like November this year will also bring an anniversary adventure that won't have to hide behind the TV special:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-MAp3ZsYs[/yt]
    Look at those incarnations. Compared to that, the TV special might be limited to the amateur league.

BTW: This isn't official, but someone has created an awesome tribute to the different incarnations:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr3U4ucJ3bg[/yt]

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Davison is my favorite but had McGann gotten a solid run he'd probably give Davison a run for his money. McCoy and Eccleston would be close behind Davison.

15. Green Lantern

Oh, right. Thanks. :)

Kewl videos. there. :)

The new McGann tune sounds like a remixed McCoy theme to me. I liked it a bit, but I much prefer McGann's movie theme. Along with C Bakers "Trial of a Timelord" theme, that has to be my favourite.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my canon he kept his Victorian outfit the whole time as it's a better costume than the pandering to New Who fans one he has now.

17. Green Lantern

Yeah, I admit I don't like costume changes. Even if I do love his new outfit. Throughout their whole times, all the doctors retain the same essence in their clothing at least. Even McCoy's one in the 96 film retained the same basic essence as the one he wore in the series.

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The MCGann/Sheridan Smith and some of the Davison/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough stories have been run on the BBC, but on Radio 4 Extra, the DAB sister station, not Radio 4.
    The McCoy/Tracey Childs story Architects of History ends on Monday (8th April 2013) at 6pm, followed by Survival of the Fittest from Tuesday to Friday. On DAB, they're only in mono, but the online listen again is in stereo.

19. Green Lantern

Ah, thanks. :)

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I've not been a Who fan for long, only since the new series launched. Christopher Eccelston was alright in giving the Doctor a dark and broody quality, following everything he went through during the Time War, but for me David Tennant was just spectacular.

I've recently had a rewatch of my boxsets, which has made me miss Mr Tennant and long for a new Who fix, so I watched the latest BBC 1 eps and remembered just how much I dislike Matt Smith in the role. He comes across as too goofy to me, which isn't what I'd comes to like about Tennant's Doctor (yes, he had his lightsome moments, but I could still take him seriously as the last of the Time Lords).

I will say one thing about the second half of season 7 is that the TARDIS has a far better design.