Star Trek London

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain April, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Captain April

Captain April Commander Red Shirt

Just saw this at SFX. There are no details as yet, but you can sign up for an alert when there are some.

www.startreklondon.com

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

You might want to take another look at that link. It just keeps sending me to the TrekBBS homepage.

3. Captain April

Captain April Commander Red Shirt

Oops. Sorry 'bout that.

4. Saspearia

Saspearia Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is so exciting! I was really annoyed when the spoiler pictures came out because I thought that it could ruin any viral marketing ploy they might have. I have blogged about the potential options (in a not to serious way!) ...
    http://trekkiegirls.blogspot.com/2012/03/is-london-ready-for-star-trek.html
    I'm hoping they'll be filming but its probably too late in the year for that. Wishful thinking perhaps.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It might just be an offical convention

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe it's just a fishing website. I wouldn't give my information without knowing more. Anyone know who registered the site?

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering that STXII features several British actors, a visit to future London might not be totally out of the question.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Too bad filming will be done long before October.

9. GeneHunt

GeneHunt Commander Red Shirt

Im so there.... it's not a phishing site, it's advertised on startrek.com

10. NCC-1701-E

NCC-1701-E Cadet Newbie

Wonder what it will be! Big year for London/UK with the Olympics and Queen''s Diamond Jubillee... all outshined by this! lol

11. Saspearia

Well they have released the dates as the 19th - 21st October this year. That makes it a long weekend so convention is the most likely probability. I think it rules out The Experience though. Still there could be some other event. Its a good half way spot to do some sort of marketing in the run up to the film!

12. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Can't wait for this I hoping it's a conny because I'll be going !!! Hopefully I,ll meet the trekkie girls !!!!

13. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

I was wondering where you got this info. Have you signed up?

14. Saspearia

Well we are excited about meeting Nero's Shadow! :techman:

The Showmasters forum are saying that they are 'involved' but I wouldn't want to speculate on what that involvement might look like.

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this on Facebook last week. I signed up to the alerts but don't think I've received anything yet. If it's a convention I'll have to drag one of my friends along.

16. Saspearia

Hi I follow @StarTrek_London on twitter. They announced the dates on Twitter only. I'm sure they'll email the dates soon to everyone who has signed up. I have a copy of the tweet on my blog though if you want to see?

17. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the info.

I'm dying to know what the big secret is, but I'm a bit reluctant to sign up.

18. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If this is a CBS licenced event, I think the CBS legal team need to take a little trip to Milton Keynes and get Joiner to STFU. Given his track record of organising anything to do with Star Trek, CBS shouldn't want him going around saying he has anything at all to do with this event.

The actual company that appears to be running the event is called Media 10 Ltd, based in Loughton, Essex. They have a good record of organising the Ideal Home Exhibition and Grand Designs exhibtion. In terms of reputability and integrity, Media 10 Ltd seem to be a million miles away from certain other UK event organisers.

Event most likely to be a convention of some kind. I hope whoever runs it takes note of what's happened in previous years ie no one turns up unless you get the really big guns out. Nimoy's retired, so that's one less of those guns. Fro me, it has to be a full TNG cast reunion for the 25th anni.

19. Saspearia

Hi Admiral Bear, Where did you hear that Media 10 were running this? I'm not sure this will be a convention as we know it (excuse the pun!). Mostly because CBS aren't in the business of supporting any of the big convention companies in promoting their events. If this is being paid for by CBS (and all the evidence so far says yes) then I would think it is some kind of promotion event for the movie.
    The wording on the website says 'sign up to Starfleet' and I think it will continue with that theme somehow, tying it into the movies release next year.
    I'm quite enjoying speculating about it though!

20. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did a whois search on startreklondon.com. Simples.

This event has to be a whole lot more than a bit of movie promotion for a film that won't be released until at least May 2013 anyway. Why would they advertise something as insignificant as that 7 months in advance, let alone advertise it at all when these things are rarely open to the public? While JJ Star Trek got very good reviews, we have to face facts that the film's box office was mediocre to average given its budget, and that the release of a Trek movie doesn't really carry too much buzz these days.

We'll probably all be wrong about what this event turns out to be. Unless it's a convention with some VERY big guests and James Darren doing a gig in a recreated Vic's Lounge, I'm not interested. I went to that Star Trek exhibition in Hyde Park years ago, and frankly it was shite.