Could Fury have worked with a rewrite?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Oct 27, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I tried reading it I felt like Calhoun was some wannabe from a Frazetta painting. But that was years ago, maybe I would like him now.. you have to buy the first four on kindle, can't buy just the first.

I wonder, maybe I have a copy of the first lying around, I know I gave my hardback of the first four away.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That must be like the apocryphal bouncer or a bartender working in a boobie bar who is bored of boobs?

The truly remarkable effort on Pete's part is the redemption of Edward Jellico.

3. Guy Gardener

To trick people into buying the series, they took the the first novels and cleaved it into four tiny "booklets".

4. teacake

I think if I approach it this time as Star Trek meets Frazetta I might be good.

5. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Yeah the first four mini books are really just one book. I think Calhoun had a great personality. He can be so contrary and arrogant, but also romantic, then infuriating. He keeps you on your toes.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like Janeway. :lol:

7. borgboy

Heh. That is funny :lol:
    Calhoun and Janeway would probably really butt heads, and then get along famously. Calhoun does have a similar command style to Janeway in some ways, I can see that.

8. Guy Gardener

What I remember about his character is how he's getting old. Calhoun gets really pissed off when he's knocking Jellico on his ass, and he thinks: "Good lord! What's wrong with me? I had to hit him twice!"

9. borgboy

Earlier it was mentioned that tptb wouldn't have written Fury to anger a section of fans. If they had though it wouldn't be unprecedented.
    On Sliders when they fired Sabrina Lloyd who played Wade, they wrote her out off screen as having been captured by the Cro Mags and taken to a breeding camp, and talk from behind the scenes was that tptb thought it was funny to have the character taken off to be repeatedly raped for the rest of her life. From what I've heard there was some really messed up stuff behind the scenes in the later years of Sliders after the original creater was pushed out.
    So I wouldn't rule out that tptb deliberately wrote an insulting story for Kes.

10. Guy Gardener

When she turned into a cloud, Kes was naked.

Was Jennifer even asked if she wanted to do a nude scene?

11. teacake

What is really aggravating is the way when Q returned Janeway to the living he returned her in uniform, deliberately because she would be more comfortable that way, even though he recreating her atoms out of the universe.

12. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I see no other reason for bringing back the character the way they did after two years of pretending that the character never existed in the first place.

They didn't like that some fans wanted the character back so they decided to show the big finger to them in the worst possible way. That's what I suspect.

And honestly, wasn't the Seven/Chakotay thing in "Endgame" a finger to another group of fans as well?

I got to give Kirsten Beyer credit here. She did actually bring Janeway back in an acceptable way!

13. Guy Gardener

I heard it explained that Beltran whinged and whinged and whinged until they gave him something to do.

Of course why wait till the last minute when a hundred and twenty seconds later they would never have put up with the guy ever again?

14. borgboy

If they were going to give Chakotay something to do, why not finally let him and Janeway get together after seven years of build up? Either the writers are sometimes incompetent or are showing their contempt for the fans. It pretty much has to be one or the other.

15. Guy Gardener

Mulgrew insisted that sex or/and romance would weaken the Janeway character.

Some people think they did it in Resolutions, other don't, but they were on that planet for nearly 6 months.

16. teacake

If they did it then how could they just stop doing it when they were back on board without it showing somehow?

17. Guy Gardener

But they didn't.

They didn't go back to their ship.

Not for very long.

The next episode was Basics I.

"Again?! Marooned on an alien planet again!?"

"I guess that means that marooned on an alien planet rules apply again?"

"Does that mean that I take your pants off with my teeth, or you take my pants off with your teeth?"

"Shut up and kiss me you fool."

18. borgboy

I can understand why KM thought a romance would weaken the character, but you'd think it would be ok for the last episode for Janeway and Chakotay to get together.
    I guess I like to think they kissed as they flew to Earth after the credits.
    Thankfully the books at least split up the awful 7 and Chakotay romance.

19. Guy Gardener

Constant romance.

Then you have to ask what defines "constant"?

What if she hooked up with 12 different alien Captains each season?

Is she less of "slut" if it's only 6 alien Captains per season?

What about 4?

Zero tolerance... It wasn't zero, she let a couple slip through, but woman are are not allowed to part of society if they act like men. It's just how things still are.

20. teacake

That's why she needed Fair Haven. And probably a whole lot of more interesting holoprgrams as well.