Superboy Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomswift2002, Dec 16, 2012.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

One of the things with the special effects on this show is that a lot of them were done in camera, whether it was just by using a piece of plastic for the Kryptonite that either by shining a light at it made it glow and then the different lenses used on the camera provided the "blur" that made you think that the Kryptonite was actually reaching out to touch Superman. But, even the episode with the Yellow Peri and the ventriloquist dummy, sure, nowadays the dummy would've been done entirely in CGI, but even the rough animation of the dummy added a sense of realism to the show that CGI never could've.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

So I just opened MY envelope and was confused by the headline on the back cover -

MEET THE ORIGINAL LANA LUTHOR!

I than realized that Lex and Lana were married on Smallville. But it is on odd thing to highlight. On Superboy in the one single episode Lex's tries to force Lana to marry him.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lana in Smallville married Lex too. She thought it was for love, but he didn't trust her to stay in love, so used evil doctors to fake a pregnancy she eventually saw through and left him... Which made absolutely no sense. With all the energy he used to fake that pregnancy he could have just gotten her pregnant. And why does the billionaire bad boy heartthrob have to trick the hick hayseed golddigger into marrying him anyway when she was really into him?

Although Smallville is an unimportant footnote now, which no one cares about or remembers.

4. Dick Whitman

I am sure Smallville has its fans still( I am not one) But their marriage was a footnote in the show's history. To advertise that to draw its fans to Superboy, were it was even more minor is very odd. Of course this is online exclusive so its not like people are going to read this on a store shelf anyways.

5. tomswift2002

The marriage of Lex and Lana wasn't even legal in Superboy, so I'm not too sure what was going on.

6. tomswift2002

The "Abandon Earth" episode has a few ghosting and focus issues with scene's involving Stuart Whitman and Salome Jens talking to Clark at home, but otherwise the rest of the episode looks really good.

7. tomswift2002

Just finished the Season. Can't wait for Season 3.

8. tomswift2002

Just rewatched the Bizzarro episode again. This Bizarro is very different from the Bizarro in the Smallville series.

9. Dick Whitman

Well this Bizarro was exactly like the character in the comics. The one on Smallville had almost nothing in common with the origin in the comics. Wasn't he a Kryptonian from the Phantom Zone who stole Clark's DNA or something... :rolleyes:

I heard that WB has said they are already working on 3 and 4. Its possible both could be released in 2013.

10. tomswift2002

I really hope that Seasons 3 and 4 are released since, before the Season 1 DVD came out, I had never seen the series, or even video clips from it.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing that irritated me about this Bizarro was they didn't reverse his S. That's always been my favorite thing about the damn character! Lol

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They didn't reverse the S on the Superman: The Animated Series Bizarro either, since he started out looking just like Superman and then "decaying." However, his chest logo did somehow become distorted in the transformation.

13. Dick Whitman

I am not sure when the reverse \S/ was introduced but when Bizarro first appeared he had exactly the same costume as Superman. It was that way in all his 60s, Silver Age stories.

I always thought the best explained is that Bizarro later wears the shirt inside out.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I realize, and I'm sure it was cheaper for them to just reuse one of Gerard Christopher's costumes than make a new one, but still...

15. tomswift2002

Well, I don't think a backwards S would've mattered or not. Just the boxy, whitish face and hands, plus the weird language, were enough to sell the Bizarro story.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a 1960's comic story whose name I don't recall, but can be found in TPB called "Tales of the Bizzaro World". The population kicked Bizzaro no. 1 off-planet when it was discovered that he allowed "perfection" to exist there with the correct "S" insignia, and, after a series of blunders with Bizzaro Luthor, No. 1 returns to his planet and gives everybody new shirts with the S backwards.

It was Bizzaro Luthor's idea.

17. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did like that lingering shot of Bizarro looking in the mirror with Lana; it reversed the S to our view! :D

18. tomswift2002

And I wonder if the producers thought of it as nothing more than a tiny detail. Of course you've got to love Bizarro's "Mr. Robotnik" walk.

19. Dick Whitman

I liked that the idea Superboy treats Bizarro as a brother. This idea was also used for Lois & Clark. Superman views his clone as brother. I wonder if that was ever used before Superboy.

I got to mention this - I can't remember the episode title but one has Lana dressed in a 60s miniskirt. That alone was worth the price of the DVD set. ;)

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only episode I ever remembered was the one that took place in at least two different parallel universes:

One such universe had its Superboy killing Luthor with heat vision and being ostracized as a result, because Superboy isn't supposed to kill - the 'regular' Luthor ends up in that universe and perpetuates a 'back from the dead' thing. There was also another universe where Supes' counterpart was raised by fascists and became the "Sovereign," a super-Hitler.

About Luthor: They actually did explain the difference in appearance between the first and second versions of the character, didn't they?

It might have been Superfriends the cartoon series, which always depicted Bizarro with a backwards S.