Bryan Singer developing a remake of Excalibur

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Mike Fleming breaks the news on his blog here that Bryan Singer has signed to develop a remake of John Boorman's Excalibur, with an eye to directing, for WB and Legendary Pictures. Singer is of course also developing Battlestar Galactica for Universal. His next film, though, will likely be Jack the Giant Killer for New Line/Legendary Pictures.

2. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Gods, not another remake.... :(

3. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

I would love to see a good King Arthur picture! Looking forward to see what happens with this!

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It appears that Warren Ellis is writing the script. See here. I'm thinking these are the same projects. Otherwise, two Hollywood projects entitled "Excalibur" at the same time? It's possible, but Occam's Razor here, people.

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this may be the same project, but there are two Arthur projects (at least): Brian K. Vaughn is writing one, too.

The problem with recent Arthurian films is that they attempt to do (a) the whole story every time; and (b) the same aspect of the story. The medieval Arthurian tradition was somehow more flexible, establishing Arthur's court as a setting so it could tell multiple stories. I hope one of these two projects does something like that, but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Why remake such a classic and great film? Ugh.

Although you never know, I suppose it could be good.

But I would prefer to see a more original take on Arthurian legends. Go back to the source, not a previous movie. It's as if the writers/producers are unaware that Excalibur was based on a previous work (or set of works) :D.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

OOH! maybe he can get Patrick Stewart back. Stewart had a part in "Excalibur"

Now Stewart can be Merlin complete with silver bald cap

I remember my English teacher showing the movie.

She had to shield us from the nudity(she stood in front of the TV LOL), commented on the ketchup blood and the director using his daughter in a sex scene.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should just stop with the King Arthur crap. Seriously, it's all the same and it's long since worn out its welcome through sheer overexposure. The last thing I liked from that milieu was Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave/Hollow Hills novels which iirc were written in the 1960s. Maybe someone should take a swipe at adapting those, but Excalibur? Meh and double meh.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Does Singer just rehash other people's work at this point? When was the last time he directed a movie that WASN'T a ripoff/remake of another movie or tv show?

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait wait wait ... why remake Excalibur specifically? Why not make a King Arthur movie with its own identity? This seems silly - the source material is the legend, not the film.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did she point out that the armor was 1,000 years ahead of its time, and Monty Python had more accurate costuming?

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At a guess? Announcing the film as a remake and negotiating with Boorman is probably just a way of keeping him from filing lawsuits in case the film develops in directions similar to Excalibur. They're basically buying the rights to similar work, to keep the lawyers at bay. Yes, King Arthur is very much in the public domain, but why take the chance if you don't have to?

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Er, VALKYRIE . . . couple of months ago.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

D.J. Caruso was previously attached to direct Jack the Giant Killer. This is the description of the film:

15. BalokINACTIVE

BalokINACTIVE Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if it will be more colorful and upbeat!

16. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine did. She also sheilded us from the evil, evil boobies.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. He has also produced Trick R Treat, a horror anthology film directed by X2 and Superman Returns scribe Mike Dougherty.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I recommend reading Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles, a very down and dirty, historically accurate (or as close as one can get) take on Arthur. The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte isn't too bad, but runs out of steam by the time Arthur appears.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

King Arthur is old and busted.

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'd second the recommendation of Cornwell's work; Whyte's are okay.

There has yet to be a truly great King Arthur film (a serious one, anyway); Excalibur comes the closest, since it doesn't shy way from all the fantasy, and hopefully a remake won't either.