Proposing To Your SO...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Plecostomus, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

So how did you go about it? High-romantic? Creepy-Goth? Hand her a ring and announce "resistance is futile?"

For WOB, we discussed the possibility of marriage over dinner at Lindburgers.... Right after we went down to the mall and purchased an engagement ring. Took the ring out to the car, and put it on her finger. Wedding was six weeks later. :)

Just wondering... the anniversary of this event comes up Saturday, we're going out to eat at Lindburgers to celebrate.

2. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

It wasn't very scenic or thought out. I basically told her "I really, really love you, and I'd be honored to be your husband and the father of your children. Will you marry me?

Boy, was I smart that day.

Happy anniversary! How many years?

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Bascially: "You want to? Sure, okay" and that was over the phone.

First time we met face to face (we got engaged before we met face to face): She gets off the bus, we go straight to the court house and get the license. While we're waiting, one of her friends calls up to ask if I (and I kid you not, and yes the friend was serious) had chopped her to death with an axe yet.

4. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Well, have you? :confused:

5. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think we have ever really discussed it. We just both kind of assumed it would be a logical step in our relationship one day. I know my girlfriend would really like me to do the romantic formal proposal thing one day so I'll have to figure out a way one day. The first time she ever brought it up a long time ago she asked me if I ever thought about us getting married. I said "I don't see why not". Yeah even my therapist rolled her eyes at me and said "how romantic" when I told her about it. Hey I'm working on it.

6. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I asked her dad for her hand in marriage during a family get together. In his drunk Irish stupor he asked me why the fuck I was asking him. So after the laughter died down I asked her and she agreed.

We shopped for an engagement ring together shortly afterwards and then took our first child being born for her to actually go through with it. :lol:

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Nah...though I told her the first time I meat her friends I'm going to have a hatchet and a butcher's knife hanging from my belt.

8. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

He was talking about marriage within months of us first dating. I told him if he even brought it up again within the next few years that we wouldn't have a relationship at all.

Couple years go by, and it was kind of the way it was with us when he first wanted to date. It was basically me going no, not yet, don't want to talk about it, no .... and then one day I was like "Okay, I'm ready."

We didn't get engaged right then. He took me by surprise one morning and the details of it are something that's much more beautiful in my mind than it would be in a post on a forum.

I was never a girl that wanted something big and eventful, though. Just something private and genuine.

9. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

Imzadi.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

All I can tell you is this:

Never do tequila shots within a country mile of a wedding chapel.

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I proposed to my wife at the top of Kennesaw Mountain (not my FLICKR, found on google).

I did it on her Bday, of course, so I wouldn't have to buy her a present. :bolian:

12. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

We were arranging our summer holiday on the Welsh canals and one of us - can't remember who now - said "We could make this our honeymoon, you know." Job done.

13. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

My wife proposed to me

14. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, It wasn't easy, (I'd bought the ring earlier that day) She had a busy day scheduled, but during that busy day I convinced her for a walk in a park nearby ..we walked around for about 20 minutes then I proposed just as some quail flew out of a bush right near us..didn't get down on one knee or anything like that as the path was a bit muddy..just asked her, she gave out a startled "Yes" as the quail burst out of the bush and I slipped the ring on her finger..

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

We'd been going out off and on for 6 years. One night (when we weren't dating) we got pissed and ended up in bed together. In the morning I told him we were either getting married or he wouldn't see me again. Romantic or what? Next anniversary is our 20th.

No engagement, just booked the registry office that day.

16. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not married, but in my younger years, I did get engaged to my high school sweetheart. We were still in school, and we were making plans for the future. We realized that our plans included each other, and one day when we were at the mall, he bought me a $10 cubic zirconium ring from some costume jewelry shop. There was never really any official proposal, and we didn't set a date. About 8 months later, we broke it off because he was cheating on me with my (now former) best friend.

17. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

So I see we're not the only ones with Non Epic Marriage Proposal stories out there. :techman:

Truth told I was convinced that she was The One from the moment I met her. SHE claims it took her three dates to decide and the rest of the time we spent chasing around was "silly" and that I should have asked sooner.

Go figure eh? :D

18. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Blitzproposal! If you can't convince them, get them by surprise! :techman:

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Nothing special, just got down on a knee with the ring when we were at Applebees :p Three years later and we're still engaged with no date set ;)

20. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is your name Roy and is your fiance's Pam by any chance?