Third season episodes that have the quality of the first two seaons

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, May 4, 2014.

1. Memory Alpha

Memory Alpha Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Third season episodes that have the quality of the first two seaon

"The Enterprise Incident"
    "Day of the Dove"
    "For the World is Hollow. . ." (Another statement on religion that I like)
    "The Tholian Web"
    "Elaan of Troyius"
    "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
    "That Which Survives" (this one is just weird in a way that's cool)
    "The Cloud Minders"
    "All Our Yesterdays"

Some good social commentary there, circa 1969! There was the height of the Cold War going on and some good commentary on religion.

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very well thought out reviews, Todd, and while I don’t agree with them all, a few comments motivate me to respond a little…

Not quite true. It is the last extensive location shooting of the series, but apparently the street scenes in All Our Yesterdays were shot outside. They were so badly lit and shot they LOOK like interiors.

Like so many others, this was another “out of character” love story this season. Scotty got one, McCoy got one, Kirk got one, Spock got one and so did Chekov. This is my main problem with the season. Far too many of these “head over heels in love” plots that have to be resolved in 49 minutes (gotta save room for the credits and previews). Some worked better than others, but piling a “disease of the week” on was just too much this time. Requiem for Methuselah was the one what needed to be two parts if they wanted us to buy Kirk’s sudden devotion to Rayna.

Nah, it gets a bad rap because it’s lousy. Yeah, it’s a crappy way to end the series, but it’s a sloppy script with bad characterization. It’s a guilty pleasure and a lot of fun, but it deserves its rep.

Actually, it’s very arguable. Now THIS is an episode that I feel gets a worse rap because of its position in the run. After all of the hard work and sweat to try to keep the show on the air, the Network rewards the fans with THIS? Not one of the other better episodes, but this one? Whatever their reason (for all I know, it was the only one ready to go), fans must have been aghast and very disappointed. However, I see a number of episodes being a lot worse than this (And the Children Shall Lead, The Way to Eden, Mark of Gideon, etc.). But it’s all opinion anyway.

Again, nice post.

3. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I can argue about Spock's Brain, too. I think the worst episode of the series is a tie between Alternative Factor, The Changeling, and And The Children Shall Lead. But 2 of those aren't third season which is off the topic thread.

I've liked this thread, but I don't really have a "list" for it, I just think the third season, while it is the weakest, is also put down more than it should be.

I haven't run the numbers in a long time, but I came up with 10 episodes that I really didn't like out of the 78 and 8 of them were in the third season, but some of my favorites are in that season, like Day of the Dove and The Enterprise Incident.

I would really liked to have seen more seasons, but then maybe they would have been even worse, and it seems like a lot of Star Trek's staying power was over the "what could have been" of an early cancellation. What if it continued until everyone really just didn't want anymore, that would have really hurt the magic that's kept it alive, but then maybe it would have been great and cement it's place even more. I can't say now, but I would have really loved to see it for myself, if it happened.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched "Is There in Truth..." again last night. Still love it. Still love the music and the fisheye lens, and the 60s moral.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, the music was often melancholy, but beautiful at the same time.

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching Return to Tomorrow last night. Yes, wonderful new music!

7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are only a very, VERY few episodes with music I'm not entranced by. I Mudd being the biggest example. For the most part, the original series scores were exceptionally well done, some of the best music on television.

8. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is a good question. I hesitate to even answer, since my list lines up quite well with the episodes given by others as matching the quality of the best of the first two seasons, but here goes.....

1. The Enterprise Incident
    This episode might even be my favorite of the whole show. As a kid, I wondered the first time if Kirk was going mad. The Cold War stuff in space here is great. A section 31 operation if I ever saw one. Joanne Linville's Romulan Commander is outstanding. Were the Romulans ahead of the Federation when it came to women's rights and equality? D. C. Fontana at her best can't be topped imho.

2. The Tholian Web.
    Even though Kirk is off the ship for most of it, this is perhaps the climax of the whole Kirk-Spock-McCoy triad episodes. McCoy is truly vicious to Spock, but then apologizes and collapses in Spock's arms. That, and Kirk's farewell speech, both choke me up after all these years.

3. The Paradise Syndrome
    This is a prejudiced portrayal of Native Americans, but it's still an epic and heartbreaking episode. One of Shatner's best performances. Also makes this grown man cry a little at the end.

I think that's it for me, although I'd give honorable mention to (in broadcast order): Is there No Truth in Beauty? (IDIC episode), For the World is Hollow, The Empath, The Way to Eden, The Savage Curtain, and All Our Yesterdays.