Jurassic Park 3D

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 1001001, Apr 7, 2013.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

A search didn't show a thread for this, so I thought I'd put one up.

We're taking the kids to see it this morning in Glorious IMAX 3D. We're really looking forward to it.

Has anyone seen it yet? Thoughts? Gripes?

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I posted this in the JP4 thread...

3. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I'm hoping to see it if I can find the time. Does anyone know how long it will be in theaters?

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 3D is a pretty good post-conversion. Not quite as good as TITANIC, but way better than THE PHANTOM MENACE (just taking into account older movies shot without the thought of 3D ever being taken into account). The T-Rex stuff all looks good, but what really stood out to me was the depth in the vista shots. The opening shots in Montana, the helicopter's approach to the island, and the Gallimimus "flocking" sequence.

5. 1001001

We just got back.

It was a really good time. The 3D didn't seem very pronounced (like The Hobbit was). The movie looked good, though.

The scene where the T-Rex attacks the kids in the car was particularly intense.

I think it was worth it.

:techman:

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Saw it yesterday, and it was totally worth seein' for free. My job's benefits are the best!

I'm goin' to go see it a couple more times, if I can...

7. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I just hope they show this in my local theater. Saw it there in it's first release 20 years ago. Changed my life.

8. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I caught this yesterday with my parents and two brothers. We did a special drive out of town to see it on an Ultra Screen at a Marcus theatre.

I remember going to see this 20 years ago when I was 11. I distinctly remember not having ANY interest in seeing it, although I don't know why. But I think I was dragged there because everybody else was seeing it.

My expectations were blown to smithereens. It instantly became one of my favorite movies, watching the VHS copy we had a million times and then buying the DVD. I've held off buying the Blu-ray until after seeing it in the theatre again.

It's just such a fun movie to watch. And the cast is great! I loved Sam Neill as Grant and to this day I get excited when I see him in something new. Sam Jackson and Wayne Knight were so memorable. And Bob Peck is a total badass as Muldoon.

Also, when I was a kid, all of the stuff about Malcolm's objections to the park and Alan and Ellie's concerns about putting man and dinosaur in the same ecosystem went right over my head. All I could think was "Are you crazy? Dinosaurs are alive again! This is awesome!" Now? As an adult I can totally see where they're coming from and it just makes the movie all that better.

9. 1001001

"Hold on to your butts!"

We've been saying that all afternoon.

:lol:

10. Mike Farley

"Dotson! We got Dotson here!"

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dodgson. ;)

12. Mike Farley

Him too.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Caught it last night. I really enjoyed it. I thought the 3-D was tastefully done, but the picture was kind of blurry for me since I forgotten my regular distance glasses. So I won't talk about the 3-D.. it added good depth, which is very tasteful.

I saw this film 9 times in the theater when I was 19, and it is a fantastic film. watching it now, it holds up. Sure, there's a lot of dinosaur action, but there's also more time that Spielberg pulls back and allows us to take in this amazing place, so he didn't overcrowd the film with dinosaurs. He builds it in such a way that way that we feel like we are seeing a real Tyrannosaur come to life again and not just a cool special effect. The creature is amazing, and I love how it behaves the way a real animal might. The T-Rex's first appearance is one of the most perfect scenes ever filmed, combining CGI and animatronics, with a lot of hard work, and it is still amazing. The T-Rex may be my favorite CGI creature ever put on film, because it's actually much more.

For the last ten years, the trend in Hollywood is to have more angst in their characters. "Should I do this, and save people, fall in love, or be myself." This has been the theme of many of the superhero or teen paranormal romance films. I'm not knocking them, but I really enjoyed seeing JP again, where such "martyr-style"angst was no where to be found. These were adult characters.. not young ansty adults or teenagers. These were flawed but professional people. Ian Malcolm is one of my favorite movie characters ever.

I loved his relationship with Grant. Here, he openly tries to put the moves on Gran'ts significant other, and Grant let's him know that she's not available,, but they don't hate each other. these characters might be simply drawn but they are not two-dimensional. They are both the most respected minds in their particular fields, but Grant keeps a low profile, while Ian eats up his celebrity status. It would be as if Aerosmith opened up their Rock and Roler Coaster in another theme park, and a famous engineer (Grant) and Steve Tyler himself (Ian Malcolm) showed up on the same tour to sign off on the ride. Of course, it's not hard to iamgine that hte rock star might be a bit showy in front of the engineer's girl. That's part of the job description. People like Grant would give him a pass.

And the description of Malcolm in the film is so dead on: "He suffers from a deplorable excess of personality." You don't get dialogue like that any more. Most of my cars have had their own deplorable excess of personality.

The kids were also very good, especially in the scenes before and during the first attack, because Spielberg lets us see them as real kids we can care about.

Man, I love this film.

14. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just saw it too and I catch them on TV but I'm usually writing and paying "half-attention". I jumped at one of the scenes and I found it interesting that the big screen brought out details I'd forgotten.

Time wise, the movie has held up and the fun part for me was making the observation that any remake would include cell phone/Ipads for the first times that Grant, Malcolm, and Sattler would have encountered the dinosaurs. I wonder if any remake would include an App for diagnosing the “pharmacological effect” on the Stegosaurus stenops -a small sample is so much neater than your arm dug in deep.

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I saw it today. Jurassic Park has long been one of my absolute favorite films. I've said that it's the movie that made me love movies. Since I was around five when it came out, I've never been able to see it in a theater until now. I fell in love with it all over again. I may have seen it a hundred times, I may know every beat, but it's still one of those movies that is magic every time. Somehow I felt the same suspense and the excitement I had felt the very first time I had seen the movie as a child when the T-Rex attacks the car, or the raptors stalking the kids in the kitchen. Seeing it on the big screen makes everything new again. The 3D was a negligible thing for me. It neither enhanced or detracted. This was Jurassic Park on the big screen again, and I am so glad for the experience.

16. 1001001

It sure was a lot of fun, like a familiar roller-coaster. It was particularly fun to share it with our kids.

I'm glad to see everyone else enjoying it.

:techman:

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I wholeheartedly agree. Great film.

18. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I saw it last night with my older brother. It's one of our favorite films, as well as a huge part of our childhood. I was eight when it first came out in theaters, and my brother took me to see it with him. It was terrifying, but it was also the coolest thing I had ever seen. It blew my little eight-year-old mind. When it came out on video, we literally watched it every day. And it was mostly responsible for my childhood obsession with dinosaurs. (To this day, I'm sure I could tell you the names of almost every dinosaur. :lol:) So needless to say, I would have gone to see it even if it hadn't been in 3-D.

However, it really was great in 3-D. Not spectacular, but pretty danged great. The Gallimimus scene looked especially good. What really impresses me is how well the special effects have held up over the years. Twenty years later, that T-rex still looks like a frigging dinosaur. I love that.

Also, it was so much fun seeing it in the theater, because there were kids in the audience who obviously hadn't seen it before. During the scene where Grant finds the clutch of eggs, I heard one kid in the audience go, "UH-OH!!" It was adorable. :)

I'm going to see it again, with my best friend. She was only six when it first came out, so she wasn't old enough to see it in the theater. She's really excited; it's one of her favorite movies, too.

19. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Finally got to see it today and I'll echo the previous sentiments: it was outstanding 20 years ago and it is outstanding today! Noticed a lot of details in the sets that I had forgotten over the past two decades (or hadn't noticed at all before).

Since others have pointed out the great writing, performances, special effects and directing, I'll take sound. The movie is loud when it needs to be and not just for the sake of being loud. I saw it several times in the theater during the first run and I had really forgotten the emphasis on the t-rex roar and the raptor's screeching.

The t-rex attack scene definitely holds up (and may be one of the best "action" sequences in movie history) but when it cuts back to the crew in the computer room everyone in the theater exhales at the same time just like they did 20 years ago.

20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Gonna go see it again tonight with a buddy of mine who remembers seein' it in theaters twenty years ago.

Should be fun!