STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not really a fanwank kind of guy, but I really wish they'd have figured out how to work in the "never lose you" line from The Naked Time when Kirk was saving the Enterprise.

2. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    One more thing - mega-props to JJ and company for the shout out to DS9 by the mention of Section 31. That sent my fanboy heart all atwitter! :lol:

3. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I didn't see a left wing message. I saw a anti war message a little bit. As many progressives in history have proved over and over again that is not an anti war message. Progressivism is built on a pro war message.

Definitely a fun film. Much better than the first. There are problems with it. But the villains are much better and well set up for the first 2 hours. The last part was just a 30-40 minute quick reverse/rehash of TWOK. Which isn't bad but it wasn't set up as well as the Marcus/Starfleet vs Enterprise crew plot.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

"Never lose you, again," considering command had been taken away from him once at the start of the movie. ;)

I don't think this Kirk is shaping up to be as lonely as Kirk Prime. At least not for now. The poignancy of that line in "The Naked Time" was the Enterprise was Kirk's life. The "family" idea of the big seven was never in TOS. The crew had aged about another 15 years before that idea took root in TSFS and culminated when Spock told Sarek, "They are my friends" in TVH.

When Kirk said, "Welcome to the family" to Carol at the end of STID, that was really the only time I kind of cringed. There's definitely a social vibe on that ship that didn't exist on Kirk Prime's Enterprise. Not that it's bad. It's just different. This Kirk may actually turn out to be more emotionally balanced than Kirk Prime was.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The relationships of characters on the ships in Star Trek morph with generational attitudes to a great extent. TOS was made during a time when most Americans were somewhat personally familiar with the structure and culture of the military, due to a couple of generations of an armed forces based on conscription. That was less true for TNG, where characters behaved toward one another much more as if in a civilian workplace, and the same is true for the present day TOS-based reboot.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    The first season of TNG is particularily annoying about this. People on the bridge regularily engage with whomever is on the viewscreen without the Captain's permission. Not sure that would fly in real life. :P

7. Franklin

Good points. I'm cool with it as long as Kirk and company don't start sitting around conference tables "valuing" everyone's opinion before acting.

It just occurred to me, too. There's Spock and Uhura. A hint of a future for Kirk and Marcus. Hey, they gotta get McCoy a woman. :)

If we wanted to have the lonely, slightly emotionally bitter Kirk, bound and wed only to his Enterprise, then Marcus would be his Rand. Don't see that happening, though. This Enterprise has the potential to be either the Love Boat, or it recreates the Picard-Crusher (Kirk-Marcus), Riker-Troi (Spock-Uhura) relationships.

8. BillJ

Or Marcus gets assimilated by the Borg in the next movie. Moving Kirk towards the character we know him to be in TOS. :techman:

9. Franklin

Or the Klingons off her, and he yells, "You Klingon bastard! You've killed my woman!"

10. Zeppster

I think it's pretty well set up to be Klingons as the main baddie in the next one.

11. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I did. It doesn't matter what was done "in addition". Main engineering was no longer a 'brewery'.

This is nitpicking to an extreme, IMO.

12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but it was still not only cheesy but badly done. ZQ just doesn't have what the Shatman did in that one instance.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Khan assimilated by the Borg would be the logical choice.

Resistance isn't just futile... it's insane.

14. Belz...

I don't see it as nitpicking. It's a statement of fact. They did film there and you can clearly see that location in the film. Yes, the warp core is a different place but it's still there.

15. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd have agreed with you if they hadn't been made to look like a big bunch of girls by 1 chap

16. Zeppster

The genetically engineered guy that was supposed to be the bad guy in this film.

17. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Indeed. But filmmakers usually want to ramp up the threat film by film. If they go with Klingons in this one people will be going "well, this should be easy - they dealt with the last chap ok and he handed the Klingons their arses to them on a plate!!"

I reckon they'll go with the Borg

18. BillJ

Bad Robot is letting IDW handle the dust-up with the Klingons in their regular monthly comic. So I'm not sure if we'll see them next time out?

19. knine

knine Captain Captain

Saw it over the weekend. It was a great film that took elements and nods from the original source material and gave it the deserved respect. A worthy successor to the 2009 film. JJ, keep making these.

And I never pictured Scotty as being the comic relief guy, but once again he's hilarious.

20. Belz...

Are you expecting Spock to go out in a spacesuit and beat the crap out of Klingon cruisers, now ?