What happened to Hikaru Sulu? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by CGren123, Jun 12, 2014.

1. CGren123

CGren123 Ensign Newbie

I've been wondering about this for some time. Every other member of the Original Series crew has been mentioned and seen in numerous novels set in or around the 'present day' (IE: the 2360/70/80s), but Hikaru Sulu has been notably absent. The only other missing characters I can think of are Janice Rand and Christine Chapel, both of whom were on board the Excelsior.

I've just finished reading 'One Constant Star' (which I thought was brilliant), which constantly mentioned the Excelsior disappearing. Initially, I assumed that this book would answer it, until Sulu and the Excelsior crew turned up alive and kicking!

Apart from a possible appearance in Armaggedon Sky for Sulu and a throwaway reference to Chapel in 'Renaissance', has there been any mention of these characters? If not, is there a reason for this?

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Chapel was on the Excelsior during "One Constant Star".

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We need Star Trek: Excelsior- The Final Adventure. It would be a perfect bookend with Forged in Fire.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

According to Scotty in Star Trek: New Frontier: Excalibur: Book 2: Renaissance, Chapel died at some point before 2376.

5. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the Day of Honor novel DS9: Armageddon Sky, Dr. Bashir encounters a Starfleet VIP planetary observer going by the alias of "George" during a Klingon attack (set during Season 4) -- Bashir is told to protect his identity at all costs, and it's strongly implied that "George" was in fact Hikaru Sulu.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I suggest you read One Constant Star then.....

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

OP already referred to that.

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm definitely planning on it soon!