In-universe books you'd like to read

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, Sep 10, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've gotten to read a couple of in-universe Trek books before, like The Final Reflection, Strangers From the Sky or even the old Star Fleet Technical Manual, but many more have been mentioned. Which do you wish you could read?

Top of my list is one that's come up here before, the memoirs of James T. Kirk and Ambassador Spock, mentioned a few times in Peter David's New Frontier series. Such books would be fascinating. Unless all of TOS is declassified by the 24th century (which I seriously doubt) I imagine these memoirs would necessarily be incomplete. Would Kirk still write about Edith Keeler, somehow skirting around how he got to 1930's Earth? Or ignore her altogether? Would names (that we the viewers know) be switched around to protect some people, as frequently happens in such real-life books? Would Spock's memoirs be a dry, detailed tome or an insight into his human/vulcan turmoil? Was his death and resurrection ever made common knowledge?

Other books or even academic papers I've read mentions of and wish I could read more are:

An Analysis of the Five-Year Missions by Admiral Glynis Kestall Tabor (Prime Directive) - It'd be nice to get the bigger picture, and learn the impact and fallout from what was learned by the Enteprise and her sister ships during The Original Series. Although perhaps this is covered in Federation: The First 150 Years?

Encyclopedia of Spaceflight, by R. April and S. April (various FASA publications) - what would the Star Trek Encyclopedia be like if it were based on the universe of the Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology and FASA's RPG booklets?

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Vulcan Love Slave.

In the post-50 Shades world you'd think it'd sell...

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anything Klingon, especially if it's Battlecruiser Vengeance related.

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course, Vulcan Love Slave would probably quickly be eclipsed by Women Warriors at the River of Blood in the charts.

5. Lonemagpie

I'd want to write that as the sequel to Vulcan Love Slave...

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Pitch it ffs. How much damage can it do ? ;)

7. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

A very interesting idea. The thought of biographies (Kirk, Spock, etc) had occured to me, but for some reason, not memoirs. I like it though. :techman:

8. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I vaguely remember Picard being a fan of some guy called Shake's Peer. I'd read some of that stuff I guess. Barring that, maybe some Dixon Hill.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the in-universe version of The Never-Ending Sacrifice? That's the only in universe book I can think of right now.

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

The Romulan Way by Terise Haleakala-LoBrutto.

And that Encyclopedia of Spaceflight mentioned by King Daniel Into Darkness sounds fascinating too.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Meditations on a Crimson Shadow.

And maybe some day I'll read I, The Jury just for the heck of it. ;)

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Adventures of Flotter.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Err, that's what the first six even-numbered chapters of TRW were supposed to be -- Terise's actual monograph on Rihannsu history. So you've already read that.

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

BTW, The Klingon Art of War is presented as an actual book in the Star Trek universe. (The Klingon title is qeS'a'.)

15. Christopher

Which would seem to translate as "Important Advice," more or less.

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I like it as well. Could be interesting.

17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

D'oh! Apparently not closely enough. ;) I thought I remembered them as being excerpts of a larger work, or something like that. My mistake.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which episodes/books/whatever are those from?

19. Lonemagpie

I'd be wasting my time

20. Christopher

Well, maybe they were meant to be excerpts, but they seemed to be pretty continuous from chapter to chapter and to make a complete work in and of themselves. And many historical monographs are much shorter than novel length. So I figure it's probably meant to be Terise's whole work, interspersed with chapters portraying the background of how the work came to exist.