Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but thats only costs 5 EDCs which really isn't that hard to get.

2. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Dunno, never done the PvE missions outside the storyline. I may chance it now in the fleet and if someone can take the time to lay out a dos and don'ts for me, plus is patient if I make mistakes.

I also do firmly believe there should be routes to things that don't involve multiplayer. Some people don't enjoy it, others are no good at it.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ugh, annoyed at myself. Talked myself into opening a couple Temporal lockboxes, thinking that the trend from the Tholian set was to at least give better rewards, right? Well, opened 4 of them, and got:

-about 15 Lobi crystals total
    -3 duty officer packs. Not special ones, but common whites. 2 were regular recruitment packs, 1 was the GQ pack, but all had whites, with one green per pack.
    -Some bonus fleet credit chit. Means I earn more during a fleet event, I guess.

Underwhelming, at best. Thought the trend was to try and justify these better by trying to make the rewards worth the supposed money? Cost of 4 keys /= what I got, not even close. Hell, all of the items I could put on the exchange wouldn't buy a single key, so value wasn't there.

Done with lockboxes until I'm tempted by the next one, I guess. I just had a ton of Zen sitting there, figured what the hell. Should have just upped my bank slots or something instead...

4. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

Don't be, its a marketing gimmick and way for Company to rip off star trek gamers.

There won't be anything in these lock boxes and even if you by some miracle coincidence you find some purple item (very rare) it'll be worthless due to exchange price.

Every time I come across one of these boxes i post them on the exchange for cheapest possible price, if some schmuck wants to open these be my guest, I personally recommend against it.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I usually just throw them away, but I hadn't done anything with Zen in a while, and was up to like 7k worth, so figured I'd try a couple just for shits and grins. Like i said, they claimed they were making more of an effort to not have completely useless stuff in there with the Tholian pack, so took a shot. They got me, i guess. Didn't spend any real money on it, just the stipend for the month.

back to just burning them...

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

That's why I exclusively use EC to buy the keys from the
    exchange.
    Ask yourself if the fun of the gamble is worth 1.5Million for you or not.
    Since I don't really need to buy anything else and EC is easy to come by why not.

My results so far from (I didn't count) but maybe a dozen lockboxes: 2-3 special consoles, about 150 lobi, some junk items and my grand price a Tholian Orb Weaver which I plan to place strategically on the exchange when they get more rare.

Not a single realy cent spent.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Of what use is a temoral science vessel that was being given away?

8. mic of orion

Anyways,

Started a new character on STO, new learning process for me cause I missed nearly a year of gaming.

Result :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

It's been a while since I've played the game, and I'm still having trouble adjusting back. So a few questions:

1)How are you getting the interface in your screenshots? When I take them, I don't get it, just the ships/whatever. Which can be really cool, but not terribly helpful if I...need help.

2)There were Tholian-themed missions recently, right? I stopped playing just after the 2600 event, and got back into it a few days ago (been watching DS9, got me in the mood for more STO), but I kept hearing stuff about it on my Facebook feed. I can't find any Tholian missions, though. I can see all the other episodes - for some reason the True Way campaign was bugged for me back then, and I couldn't start it, but the 2600 missions show up there. Did I miss the Tholian missions entirely, or where are they, or were there no Tholian missions to start with?

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

1) To get the interface, type this in the chat bar (without quotes):

"/screenshot_ui_jpg"

You'll find them in your screenshots folder, interface included. :D

2) That's because the Tholian missions aren't FEs like the previous missions were. You can see all the Tholian Incursion missions here: http://www.stowiki.org/Tholian_Incursion

I hope that helps! :)

11. Hartzilla2007

Wait if your going to use EC in this at the prices the keys are why not just flat out buy the big prizes instead?

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Because I never have the patience to save up 100 mil... but it's easy to get 1.5 million for one key...

And so far there is none of the big prizes I'd really like to have...

I just do it for the giggles.

13. Hartzilla2007

True

I noticed that.

Well plus you can probably build up lobi that way since their not getting rid of any of the stuff in the store now.

14. TheRoyalFamily

That was very helpful. Kinda lame how the Tholian stuff is ground missions though.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad I could help! I also agree that the missions are a bit crappy, in that they're just ground missions. I love space missions. I prefer them, since space combat is much more polished than ground combat.

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey guys. I've got myself a new laptop yesterday, and it's capable of playing STO. So, I was thinking about joining the game. But for a noob, with a game that's been released a few years ago, will it all be a bit overwhelming? Or is it easy to get into??

17. mic of orion

game is easy once you get familiar with whole sto universe and concept, I played the game year ago and stopped playing, than I got back and now I'm trying to find my way around again.

Anyways I also have a question for you all here. Crafting, for some reason they came with some stupid idea if you want to craft expensive and rare stuff, you need to get some uncommon un-replicatable materials which on exchange cost 95000 credits or on Memory Alpha around 90 000 credits or 1000 Dilithium, which I honestly think its absolute rip-off crafting becomes pointless or too expensive endeavor. I did crafted some of my own gear, (1750 research points), but now it seems to me really pointless to craft anything if only source of uncommon un-replicatable materials is Memory Alpha. Are there any other ways of getting these stuff other than Memory Alpha, the exchange or Qonos? I'm hoping there is, as it would really kill crafting segment of the game, some of XII gear is even more expensive, 31 uncommon un-replicatable materials are needed, Aegis needs only 18. Sick, this is what makes me really angry with developers, also Zen - Dilithium exchange, how does it work, do you offer how many Zen you need and offer the amount of Dilithium and if someone accepts your offer you have a deal?

I have plenty of Dilithium (although I was away so my mark of exploration... and other stuff were converted in to Dilithium but at very poor exchange, I presume 50-100 Dilithium for each mark of exploration/honor... w/e,:(

I was basically shortchanged by about million dilithium at exchange rate I read on sto wiki. Any chance of getting that, or I just have to accept the current situation as it is.

Also, I'm thinking of getting retrofit defiant for my other character (toon) can i transfer these from my current Tristan toon to my other toon's bank ? Also any ideas what to do with particle traces now that crafting is pointless ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Might want to put those pictures in spoiler code so they don't stretch out the thread.

19. mic of orion

okies, in future I'll bare that in mind, tried to edit but there are no edit buttons.

20. TheRoyalFamily

I'm pretty out of it (obviously), and I was never really good at this part of the game anyways, so I'll ask:

How do I make money? I know there's a bunch of guides on how to get dilithium, and they pretty much all say the same thing, so that's not really my concern. No, I want EC.

I gather the key is getting stuff to sell on the Exchange (recycling equipment doesn't seem to be cutting it). But what do people buy? Just purples, or are greens (or even blues) good too? I'm max level on both my characters, so it's mostly a factor of getting good drops, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.