Original series blu ray release questions

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lange, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Lange

Lange Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey all,

New around the forums wanted to ask about the original series blu ray release for those who have it. What is it like to see such a old show in 1080p, to my knowledge this is the only trek show to be in 1080p and while TNG is likely seeing a Blu Ray release in the future the other shows I doubt, so I am asking. I have Voyager and TNG completely on DVD and im going to get a set of DS9 next, followed by this if I can so i'm inquiring about the quality of the set in the meantime ill get by with free episodes on CBS.com

Questions I have are:

What is the the overall quality of the Blu Ray transfer any problems bad encode etc?

How does the show hold up with many low budget type originally, now blown up in detail in 1080p.

Special features?

Is the set worth the near 200 dollars for the 3 seasons features quality etc?

What is the set like itself I read reviews from Walmart and such that episodes were out of stardate order, and if so how much of a problem does this seem.

Being the only series on blu ray so far what is it like compared to the SD of the other series and compared to the original and "remastered" quality of the original series previously. I know blu ray is always far beyond anything SD DVD can do but it always depends on a good transfer and remaster.

Thanks all for any opinions.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

First of all, if you pay more than $150 for the three sets, you're spending too much.

Second, the transfers are, in general, terrific. There's been a lot of work done to eliminate scratches, hairs, and other imperfections. Having said that, the negatives have seen a lot of wear, so the series doesn't look as good as, say, most contemporary feature films on Blu-Ray. But it's a huge improvement upon the DVD and I think the series holds up in HD. Some of the imperfections are a little more visible, but it's nothing that will take you out of the viewing experience.

Third, most of the extras have been ported from the previous DVDs, meaning the season sets. There are a few new features, including some 8mm movies Billy Blackburn shot on set, but there isn't much that's been added. There's certainly not the wealth of material that you'll find on similar sets for Twilight Zone.

Fourth, stardate order has never been that useful, and to present the episodes in that way would be a jumbled mess. I prefer production order, but for some reason the episodes are presented in airdate order.

They're not perfect, but they're pretty good, and worth the money if you find them for the right price.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The transfer is fantastic. It's like seeing the show for the very first time.

It holds up just fine, IMO. And I watch with the original special FX. You have the option of that or watching with the enhanced FX.

Not many new ones. Each season has a Billy Blackburn memories feature, including some of his personal 8MM films. "The Trouble with Tribbles" gets some treatment, though. That episode includes a David Gerrold commentary track and as special features you can watch the animated series episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles" and DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations."

My favorite feature is a new transfer of the original version of the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before," different from the version we're all used to. It's also in HD, transfered -- I think -- from a 16mm print in someone's private collection.

That's something you have to decide for yourself. To me, who used to shell out $15 for just episode on VHS, that price seems like a steal. Then again, it's still $200. I bought all three seasons of TOS, but I'm probably not going to buy the upcoming TNG sets. I'd rather wait to see the episodes on Netflix. I just can't justify the expense to myself anymore. Being able to stream movies and TV on Netflix and Hulu has made me rethink my need to own movies.

You're just going to have to figure that one out for yourself.

It's in airdate order. I would have preferred production order, which is how the episodes were released on VHS back in the day. Stardate order would be a mixed-up bunch of crazy.

Also, since the episodes are in airdate order, "The Cage" is the last episode on the set, since it officially aired on television in 1988.

The transfer is absolutely gorgeous, and -- if you'll forgive a bit of vulgarity -- shits all over the SD versions of the Trek spinoffs.

4. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to agree with the praise for the Blu Ray release of TOS. It was absolutely like watching the show again for thefirst time.

Only the first two seasons have been released here, but the quality of picture, the option of watching the original or cgi effects and the sheer amount of things you will notice for the first time make it worth a buy IMO.

Ok guys while we're talking Blu rays, I am giving up on ever seeing a Season 3 release in Australia, so I am going to import via Amazon.com or somewhere.

Anyone know if The US TOS Blu Rays have any region restrictions? I have a PS3 : does that help with region issues?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

6. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thankyou. I may have to invest in a region free player for TOS season 3 and the upcoming Next Gen releases.

Now all I need is some money...

7. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Here's a weird TOS Blu-Ray question -- I have all of the TOS Blu-Rays, with one tiny gripe. My copy of S1 did not arrive with the paper dustcover (see the image below). I'd love to get a paper dustcover for this just so it looks nice and consistent with the other Blu-Rays on the shelf, but I'm not aware if there were paper dustcovers for S1. Can anyone clarify? Or know a way to get a paper dustcover, if they exist?

[​IMG]

Again, yes, this is a tiny, silly, pretty ridiculous thing to complain about. But, hey, figured if there was any crowd who might sympathize, TrekBBS would be it. :-)

8. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a dust cover for season 1. I bought seasons 1-4 of Lost on Blu-Ray used, and they're all missing their dust covers too. Slightly irritating. I understand. ;)

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's not trivial - stuff like that drives me wild !

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Star Trek sin't guilty of this one, but what's even more frustrating than that is when they change the design part way through the releases.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yes Soprano's and X-Files - this means you !

:devil:

12. gomtuu20

gomtuu20 Commander Red Shirt

Hober Mallow- You referenced a different version of WNMHGB. Could you elaborate on that? I do not have the Blu Ray versions yet. How is it different?

13. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

They include a rarely seen, never release version of WNMHGB with ACT numbers, like the old Barnaby Jones (Quinn Martin) shows, and a rare opening shot of the Galaxy from afar. It's a great piece of lost Trek history, and worth a watch!

14. gomtuu20

I saw those on You Tube. I thought the shot of the galaxy and the voice over was very effective. I think the Quin Martin treatment was less effective than the captain's logs. Does the blue ray give you the option of watching the version that aired?

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The version that aired is on the season one set; the early version is a bonus feature on the third season set. :)

16. gomtuu20

Thanks Harvey.
    Now I have to justify to my wife why I need to have yet-another TOS set.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Also, it's been transfered to HD, but from a 16mm source. There's a lot more grain, which I actually like. It makes it look like you're watching a film projection. It's pretty nifty.

18. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone think that the Blu-ray releases' special features were pretty underwhelming? Compare them to The Twilight Zone Blu-rays, which have a lot more extensive features with the surviving cast and crew members. It would have been the perfect opportunity to put the Sci-Fi Channel's Star Trek Insights on there. They had some for the ones with Starfleet Access, but they mainly consisted of the the CGI crew talking about the changes.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But how many more times can the Trek actors answer the same questions? TZ is from a slightly earlier time, and there was no regular cast at all.

Which would be the property of Sci-Fi Channel, so you're asking that a lot of time and money be spent on permissions, clearances and contractual agreements to secure such archived material.

Because we probably know all the old anecdotes by now.

DVD sets are put out to tender. There's only so much in the budget.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think this is true, to a certain extent, but more important to The Twilight Zone Blu-Rays, I think, are the commentaries from television historians. People like Mark Scott Zicree, Martin Grams Jr., and others offer up a different perspective than actors with fading memories of decades past. The Star Trek Blu-Rays don't offer anything like that, and it's a shame.

CBS has made a lot of money off of these home video releases. If The Twilight Zone Blu-Rays are any indication, CBS could have ponied up a little extra for the bonus features on the Star Trek Blu-Rays. How about isolated scores? Easy enough to include, once you secure the rights.