Ms. Marvel - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean seriously did anyone give a poop about Mar-Vel before he died in that Jim Starlin masterpiece The Death of Captain Marvel? His death made him.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. :D

The problem, for one thing, is that even though comics are still considered a children's medium, the average age of the readers is older than it used to be (which is not entirely a good thing); so the audience should be looking for more sophisticated content. Personally, I barely bother with Marvel anymore. Secondly, it used to be that the creators behind the books were mature adults who, even if they created stories that were accessible to younger readers, wrote on a level that adults could appreciate and kids could reach for. The current crop under Joe Quesada seem like they've graduated from keying cars and spray-painting graffiti on houses to destroying the creations of greater talents who came before them. They not only lack talent and/or skill, they lack respect.

3. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

To illustrate the horror of this: Who the F is Moonstone!? And why the F should I care one wit that she disrespectfully takes Ms Marvel's name for herself!?

4. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's been around since the late 70's. Never a top tier villain, but I had more than a few old Hulk and Captain America comics with her in them.

She eventually became one of the original Thunderbolts, which was a pretty big thing in the 90's.

5. Guy Gardener

She spent the entire Siege at Avengers Mansion trying to wrestle control of the Masters of Evil from Baron Zemo using "psychology".

Oh, and she used to have sex with Hawkeye.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I've read #35 now and I'm starting to worry that the fake-out is, in fact, a double fake-out and she's going to die despite the false identity.

And what is going on with her powers ? She punches Marvel Boy and hurts him but the dialogue (and last month's issue) make it seem like there's something odd going on.

7. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that's more a reflection on Tony's boffing habits than hers. :devil:

I was a little underwhelmed with the latest Ms. Marvel ish-- put me in the camp of people who are like "Who the hell is Mar-vell/Noh-varr/Captain Marvel and why the hell does he matter and have a church"

8. Guy Gardener

The Church was a Skrull plot which has been annihilated.

Oh, and there was a She Hulk Doppleganger from an alternate dimension wandering around for years, so really, she never slept with Juggernaut.

9. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well and truly said.

10. Guy Gardener

It hasn't happened yet. You don't lose a book and get replaced by someone skinnier, younger and blonder just because you change your name. Well, Supergirl did.

We are going to see the death of Ms. Marvel and it's going to great.

11. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"We are going to see the death of Ms. Marvel and it's going to great."

I highly doubt Carol is going to die. For a writer to state, months ahead of time, that the main character of a book is going to die and be replaced......it's a gimmick. We might see a Mrs Marvel die....but it won't be Carol. If in fact she does die and Quesada authorized Reed to state as much as he did, then he's a bigger idiot then I thought he was.....

But I, for one, think the interview he gave is a red herring and there's something else afoot.

12. Guy Gardener

Well iniative is on the gag. it seems that carol did give her old costume to Ultra girl after all, but Osborns lawyers just enjoined her from wearing it. When did Ultra get that costume? She looked great. :) but then, that's the nature of cosplay, that anyone looks "the same" when being enhanced by the same costume... o Ultra is going to kick Moonstones ass?

That Uniform is standard Kree Military issue right? That kinda means that no humans can really hold the rights to it? Silly Norman.

No one knows who Ms Marvel is. They had to do a press release this early to build momentum, because no one most certainly knows who Moonstone is tenfold more so than Carol.

Carol will come back, but we'll think she's dead for a coulpe months... but then if the book sells better with Moonstone in the title role? maybe the marketing people will veto Carols return?

13. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I can certainly see them announcing that Moonstone would be taking over the title; but the question is: If Carol is well and truly dead (which I HIGHLY doubt) will people who read the title for her give a rat's ass enough to read it if she's NOT in the book? I really don't forsee the title selling better without her in it; I can forsee the sales numbers falling without her in the book. Remember what happened when Marvel tried to say that Ben eily was the real Spider-Man and Peter Parker was the clone?

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I think it's fair to say that I'm one of Ms. Marvel's biggest fans here and I won't buy a "Ms. Marvstone" book.

The book gets dropped if she dies for real.

15. RJDiogenes

Carol Danvers is a classic Marvel character who has been around for decades and, despite her lower profile, killing her is as ridiculous as killing Janet van Dyne. I'll just sit back and wait for the "nu" generation to pass into the dustbin of history, hopefully to be replaced by a generation with actual class and standards.

16. Guy Gardener

The nu generation of readers? Or the nu generation or writers?

Half way through this bullshit, Dark Reign needs to be spitting out a book called "Norman Osborn clubs Puppies." But that's already effectively Thunderbolts anyway, ad now Dark Avengers too since he's also the Iron Patriot. They are planning on making enough buzz that there will be a new demand for these characters, and maybe there even will.

Did Bendis call Reed a pussy for only writing one book a month? Bendis writes 12, so he can call anyone out there fussing to only write one book a tiny kitten playing with yarn as much as he wont to... What are the odds of Carol spinning off into a new bookalso written by Brian Reed? karla's just picking up the husk of her sloppy seconds. That's less insulting right? Binary is a shit name, it screams computers more than a type of star system where she got her powers... Although I thought she got her powers from a white hole? Warbird is horrendous too. Novah needs to die or wander off and Carol becomes Captain Marvel.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  17. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Or he just gets demoted back to Marvel Boy.

18. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IMHO, killing major superheroes (or even most B-list superheroes) is always a huge mistake by publishers. The rewards are always short-lived.

DC killed Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) and paid for it when his successor failed to catch on. Bringing Ollie back was then handled in the clumsiest fashion by the inexperienced writer Kevin Smith.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) never should have turned into Parallax. Later, when Hal was killed, merging him with The Spectre turned out to be as good a match as turkey gravy on ice cream.

As for Barry Allen, I'm sure there has been plenty of collective regret (among both fans and comics professionals) that he was killed off in Crisis On Infinite Earths. I am thankful for his return. And no one's saying that Wally West wasn't a great successor.

I'm hoping there's some sort of escape hatch that will allow Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) to come back.

As for Carol Danvers, I'm with you guys. She better not be dead.

19. Guy Gardener

The thing about Barry, is that his book had already been canceled before Crisis started, so there was nothing for him to live for any ways.

20. RJDiogenes

Both. They wouldn't be churning out this crap if people weren't reading, watching and drooling over it.

I'm sure it's possible for it to be done well, but for the most part it's stupid.