Volume 1 of score coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by tharpdevenport, Jul 26, 2014.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

This fall, according to a new post by La La Land Records at a film score forum. No further details yet.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hopefully it's light on the early, sonic wallpaper stuff from Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway, and focuses more on the more thematic music heard later on the series. Whatever you think about Enterprise, a lot of its music was probably the best scoring for a Star Trek television series since Ron Jones' work on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Some of my favorite scores in Enterprise and Voyager are from David Bell, who used some distinctive styles where I could usually recognize him during an episode.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are some ENT scores I really like. It definitely did give the composers more freedom than they'd had on the previous shows. Even Chattaway did some pretty interesting stuff in episodes like "Carbon Creek."

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It did. I liked the music used in ENT the best of the "modern" series. I still will despise the fact they chose a song with lyrics as the opening theme however; It enraged me when I watched the pilot all those years ago and still does to this day.

7. Christopher

I've never understood the outrage about using a song for the main title theme. TOS's main title theme was very much based in the popular song styles of the day, a "Begin the Beguine" pastiche using "Out of Nowhere" changes and a bossa nova rhythm. And of course one of its arrangements did use a vocalist. It was written to accommodate lyrics, although the lyrics that Roddenberry gave it were slapdash and never intended as anything more than an excuse for Roddenberry to get half the royalties on sheet music sales. But stylistically and structurally, the TOS theme was very much a pop song.

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Woohoo! Looking forward to this one!

9. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Excellent! Hopefully there will be some Velton Ray Bunch, who won an Emmy for his "Similitude" score. And he scored "Home" too, I think? Brian Tyler also did some great work before he moved on to films. The team of Kevin Kiner & McCarthy too - good score for "Observer Effect" and others.

Hopefully "Volume I" will be more than Season 1...

10. Cox of Seagulls

Cox of Seagulls Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Forgotten and Terra Prime had my absolute favorite music of any televised Trek, so I really hope they include those.

11. Christopher

^Fittingly, I had forgotten there was an episode called "The Forgotten."

12. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brian Tyler, who was kind of early in his career, contributed two excellent scores for "Canamar" and "Regeneration." Lots of good music in this series. I also enjoyed the song, particularly from the third season on. I felt the lyrics fit the premise of the series perfectly; Star Trek ala "The Right Stuff."

13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me personally, Star Trek should only be orchestrated musical pieces; it makes Star Trek seem grand and important. Using dated pop songs does the opposite of that. Do you think Star Wars would be as loved today if they had used disco for the entire soundtrack instead of a John Williams score?** But then again, the soundtrack to my life is performed by an orchestra and was composed by the greats of film score. If people disagree and like Faith of the Heart, who am I to judge?

Therefore the Kev judges their opinion to be wrong and they are now unbelievers in need of His revelation! *cue operatic march while shots of the Holy Army of Kev marching across the face of the Earth montage on screen*

**Yes I am aware there are disco versions of several pieces of music from both SW & ST.