Yoshi's change of address

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by JirinPanthosa, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

When Yoshi was put into Kira, was that just an idea the writers had for drama, or was it because Nana Visitor was really pregnant?

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

The writers had already made Keiko pregnant. Then Nana comes up and announces that she's pregnant, and the writers were in a pickle. One of the writers was talking to his wife one night about this problem, and she said, "It's simple. Just take the baby out of Keiko and put it in kira."

And that's what they did. The DS9 companion tells the story better than I can.

3. JirinPanthosa

I thought so. It seemed like a strange storyline to tell if they weren't forced to write Kira a pregnancy.

4. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was a nice way to handle it and make use of a convenient situation. Especially when they put in that scene with Kira and Julian making fun of the whole thing. It was either that or put her in a lab coat and shoot around her like they did with Crusher and Torres.

5. Dover

Dover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It was worth it just for that one scene. I love how they keep her steadily grumbling at Julian throughout the pregnancy. Even if it's not as blatant as that one moment, the "this is all your fault" subtext is always there.

6. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

and, of course, it lead to the almost-affair between Kira and O'Brien.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, that works even better because, in real life, Alexander Siddig was the father!

8. JirinPanthosa

I thought it was a clever solution to the issue.

Though it did lead to the weakest episode of all season 5, the one with that Cardassian killing resistance members.

Good premise in that ep, but boy was the plotting forced.