SyFy to air the original V this Sunday!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

But he does it so well!!!

"Say goodnight, hot shot." *empties a bag of dust poison on Steven's face*

2. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Caught the marathon this past weekend. I loved it as a kid. The original mini held up pretty well, I thought. V:TFB, not so much. Although it does have it's brilliantly memorable moments, the ending was just... gah.

3. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: DVD video framing

I think the question was about the weekly series.

Is that available in 4x3 only, or was it also filmed with widescreen in mind?

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Watching some of the "series" now, I don't think I ever watched these when they were on.

If I had known how much tighter Diana's outfits would be, I would've made time :drool: , though I wouldn't have had the same ideas at 16.

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I sat through it too. It was a near thing-almost ran out of Valium and Jack. Forgot just how long the thing was.;)

6. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did tune in overnight for a bit while I was getting some writing done. I can't help myself. Yes some of it is 80s and hokey, but it's a nice story.

IF I recall the Dvd commentary correctly, the science fiction wasn't at the forefront of the show. Johnson did design it as an example of resistance and freedom against Nazi and totalitarian issues. The sf alluded to the old pulp era and veiled communist scares. It's kind of obvious now that that's what V is about, sure, but at the time it was pretty fresh. The idea that science fiction television could be adult, mature, serious, and says something compared to with what people thought was just kid's stuff. Remember how Gareth Thomas left Blake's 7 because the sf was too low brow for his Shakespearean styles? In many ways, V laid the seeds for this serious, dark, issues and angstsy stuff we got in the 90s.

Okay I'm done.

7. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Btw, if when you are done with the tv series you want more V, you can read the first draft of what would have been episode 20, with the resolution of the cliffhanger at the end of the tv series & a change in direction:

http://worldsoforos.com/secondviews/V/v-the-weekly-series/v120/v-the-attack-script-transcription/

And as a curiosity, there is also the first three acts of Straczynski's proposal for a third TV miniseries:

http://worldsoforos.com/secondviews/V/v-the-rebirth/v-the-rebirth-text/

http://www.noreascon.org/users/sflovers/u1/ftp/pub/sf-lovers/fandom/fiction/v-rebirth.txt

8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

As I said, a draft... a very rough one :guffaw:

10. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This weekend I was watching other stuff, but I did switch briefly to Syfy several times. I watched snippets of V: The Final Battle. Offhand, I thought it looked rather cheesy, but I did like Faye Grant.

11. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well humanity did have to win, not just hold on?

Were two miniseries the original plan or was the second just green lighted with the success of the first?

12. Bad Bishop

I read that the original miniseries had monster ratings (40% of the viewing audience). I believe that NBC ordered the second miniseries after the first one scored big.

13. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

I seriously doubt that. The ending to the original miniseries was sort of a cliffhanger. I suppose if it had bombed hard in the ratings, they could have left it at that, but I'm pretty sure they always intended to make a sequel.

14. Bad Bishop

I hope this bad idea wasn't carried over into the new series.

15. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

SyFy is airing the original again right now. Just about the end of part 2.

16. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yeah, I forgot the scripts for continuing the weekly series were about. And yeah, JMS' revival was shot down, too. Amazing that this show has been jerked around so much.

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I just finished watching the series. It was often quite bad. Still, I think it was worth seeing all the way through, if just once.

18. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was worse than I remember.

19. knine

knine Captain Captain

Just got done watching the original and sequel with my wife.

First mini series was pretty good by 80's standards, usual cheese and bad acting, but not a bad story really.

The sequel mini series was okay... at least the first episode.
    Then the end of the second episode had alien babies. Then by the end of the third episode, the writers wrote themselves into a corner, so they called Russell T Davies and he solved it all by making the alien baby all sparkley and she fixed everything using her sparkle magic.
    My wife and I just stared and the TV and said WTF just happened.

I am not even bothering with the TV Series after that.

20. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You may have chosen wisely, Padewan.

After the first episode little Elizardbreath goes into a cocoon and a few hours later turns into a 21 year old who still has her scarey powers.
    She ends up going into space in the series finale to marry the Leader of the Visitors, her human boyfriend having stowed away on the transport ship. Yes. A roughly 21 year old guy was shown in love with a girl who by rights was less than two years old.