Legate Dukat??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mage, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seem to remember a reference in Purgatory's Shadow where Sisko says something to Dukat along the lines of 'I thought you would have promoted yourself back to legate'. To wich Dukat replies something along the lines that he prefers the title of gul.

So, was Dukat ever established as being a legate on screen??

2. Mage

Looked it up on Memory Alfa, and found the quote. It's from 'Ties of Blood and Water'.

"Still calling yourself gul? I'm surprised you haven't promoted yourself back to legate by now."
    "I prefer the title 'Gul'; so much more hands-on than Legate. And less pretentious than the other alternatives: President, Emperor, First Minister... Emissary."
    "How about Dominion puppet?"

The quote clearly states BACK to legate. That would mean he used to be one. But for the life of me, I can't remember any episode where Dukat is refered to as a legate.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The reference you're remembering was in Ties of Blood and Water. Dukat also refers to himself having been a Legate in Return to Grace.

Edit: Gah, you beat me to it on the first bit. :)

4. Mage

Hehehe, always nice, posting at the same time. ;)

I didn't remember the line from Return To Grace, thanks for that!

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was a Legate in Indiscretion. He was never actually CALLED it on screen, but he had the fancy uniform with the Cardassian insignia that every other Legate wore.

[​IMG]

He was busy talking himself up as Chief Military Advisor to the Detapa Council to bother with merely stating Legate I'd guess.

6. Mage

Good eye!! Seen that episode several times, never noticed it before. Feel kinda silly now. :D

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And that episode is why he loses his Legate-ness. :)

8. Mage

Oh yeah, I remember the entire 'fall from grace' and such, but since I never got that he was promoted since the pilot, I never got that he was demoted as well. Only that he fell from grace and was given command of that cargo-ship.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

He was promoted when he became the Chief Military Adviser to the Detapa Council, likely for political/PR reasons since that sort of position should be held by a Ranking Officer and not someone who was more or less just a "Captain" (or whatever a Gul is supposed to be).

10. R. Star

Yeah, one assumes he was promoted about the time of Way of the Warrior when he's stated to be a key figure in the new civilian government. I like to think he's promoted after he takes credit for saving the Detapa Council from Sisko and Garak. :p

11. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From the stage directions in the script of "Indiscretion":

When the Cardassian fully MATERIALIZES, we see it's... DUKAT, carrying a travel bag, and looking pleased with himself. He's now a LEGATE, and his uniform has changed to reflect his promotion.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd imagine when Dukat was at the height of his powers he could call himself whatever he wanted. After all it would be wise not to cross him then.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

After Cardassia joined the Dominion and Dukat took over DS9, he called himself "S. G. Dukat" in his log. While the Trek novel writers assumed those two letters were his first and middle initials, I always assumed it meant "Senior Gul," or something like that.

14. R. Star

Well Skrain is stated to be his first name in the novels. I always figured the G was just a middle initial or indicating is title of Gul.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So if he was human, that would be akin to "John Captain Smith." :confused:

16. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Like in the Catholic Church. John Cardinal Smith.

17. R. Star

No but in the military they'll often indicate the last name followed by the title and first. Heck, even Trek did this.

In ST2, Kirk authorized the computer to display Genesis by saying "Kirk, Admiral James T"

This could just be a cultural variation on it.