teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, I have no intention of ever going to a high school reunion and don't particularly care to see my TV heroes doing so either.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All high school reunion story lines are the same. We all knew exactly where the conversation was going as soon as Mitchell's teenage crush showed up. Thankfully the stargatey parts took over and we didn't have to see too much more of that dribble. I did enjoy the Vala exchanges, silly as they were, because Claudia Black delivers the entertainment. She is so visibly enjoying herself!

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

I only went to one. The cops had it staked out looking to arrest our quarterback, home coming king, and son of the head of the school board for outrunning them on foot after his umpteenth DUI. :lol:

Sci-fi shows could do better re-union episodes than we usually see because having everyone get taken over by parasitic aliens or blown apart with death-rays is perfectly plausible, kind of like Carrie's prom with alien death.

4. teacake

Bad Guys: You know I love these amusing, outside of the plot episodes but uhh.. there's 4 episodes left! The plot does not seem to be advancing much at all! What the heck?!

That was fun, I enjoyed seeing a civilization that was not living in huts or castles. It's been a while.

5. teacake

Talion: Pretty gory. Well done fight scenes. Dramatic death of the enemy. Arkad's accent cracked me up. Would have been nice to have heard the Teal'c mother story back in the beginning of the series (or did we?)

[​IMG]

6. teacake

Family Ties: Third episode before the finale and it's daddy daughter issues. Lots of daddy daughter issues. Despite my love of Vala I was ready to puke (I hate these kinds of storylines) but I applaud the lack of hallmark ending. I was soooo afraid there would be a big reconciliation scene. It always irritates me when a character says "but you didn't know what he was like" and someone replies with, "but.. he's your father." Really stay the fuck out of other people's family business! How do they know what kind of shithead he was to Vala and why should she have to justify not wanting to see her father? Ick.

Things I did like were..

This coat:

[​IMG]

Quark would be envious.

And Jacek's fabulously decorated apartment:

[​IMG]

This would have been nice in the middle of last season when it was all zombie Ori and burning people alive. It's weird to have so many filler episodes in a row.

OH and yes I did chuckle at Teal'c trapped in The Vagina Monologues.

7. DrunkUncle

DrunkUncle Ensign Red Shirt

Ugh. yes. Family Ties takes you out of the tension completely when you rewatch the series. I always skips it, same goes for "Bad Guys".

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

"Bad Guys" is a perfectly fine episode, and a story I'm surprised they didn't do sooner, but I agree that it feels a little out of place this late in the final season. Though I don't think the writers/producers were genuinely expecting this to be the last season.

9. teacake

AAANnnnd we're back! Delicious stargatey goodness with..

Dominion: Fantastic stuff! I loved this moment:

[​IMG]

And Baccarin was very good speaking as Baal, had his tones and inflections down pat. Of course superior arrogant evil beings all do tend to sound the same :lol:

Dead Baal's everywhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was so excited to see the Tok'ra again, if only for a short bit. I missed them, one of my favorite things in Stargate. Having Adria ascend was a neat twist, on the one hand we're now rid of her and on the other who knows what will happen? And what has happened with the Ori?? I am hoping we find out something for certain in the next, FINAL EPISODE of Stargate. Final ep and then the two movies.

I'm saving it for tomorrow as I'm a bit stuffed atm and I want to savor it. I can't believe it's almost over :(

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, this is the first time it was mentioned. Talion's a good episode, but it seemed a bit late in the game to introduce this guy who apparentally was Teal'c's sworn enemy when he served Apophis and even Bra'tac has an axe to grind with him.

Family Ties is loaded with bitter in-jokes related to SG-1's cancellation. My favourite, after Jacek comments the SGC seems underfunded:

Carter: "The Stargate program doesn't get the respect it used to anymore."
    Jacek: "Why's that?"
    Dr Lee (working in background): "Eureka!"

11. Spocktapus

Spocktapus Lieutenant Red Shirt

As far as I've heard, the producers had every expectation of an 11th season, and SciFi announced their decision not to renew during the filming of "Bad Guys", so I suppose we might have had more arc episodes towards the end had they known sooner. I'm not too fond of "Family Ties" myself, but I liked "Talion" and "Dominion".

12. teacake

Last night I had a long dream in which I was following Vala through all kinds of terrain as she carried a two foot model of the Millennium Falcoln which contained a Very Important naquadah bomb. We pulled ourselves through briary swamps, waded through the ocean, climbed through abandoned mansions.. and the whole time Vala was monologueing about what what we were doing and why was it called the Millennium Falcoln and not the Thunder Dome. It was very amusing.

I wish you could have all been there :lol:

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

es, I remember the producers were planning or another season of the first time since like season 4. :lol:

Syfy canceled the show right before the premiere party for the 200th episode. I rmember everyone being pissed about the timing.

14. teacake

I'm girding my stomach for THE FINALE which I will be starting any moment now!!!

:: trumpets ::

Tea and toast time folks..

15. Skywalker

As they say, all good things must come to an end.

And so must Stargate. :shifty:

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

ah, yes, Talion, or Teal'c goes naners, I think I read somewhere it was written as a first/second season episode but was deemed too dark, and i think the writers/producers just said "fuck it, we're canceled, lets make some of the episodes we WANT to make."

17. teacake

Unending: A wonderful title for a series finale and a wonderful episode! Not exactly a wrap up but more of a tribute ep I think. This was quite excellent and realistic as to how they would all handle all those decades on that ship together. At the very end when we had to see if Carter's plan would work my heart was in my mouth! Even though, duh, it obviously does. I loved how she quietly, at the meal table, says she has found the answer. I was also a little bemused at them eating off mess hall trays when they can now replicate anything. And cheers for the blue jello making an appearance in Stargates final episode!

So, some screenshots of things that caught my eye..

Vala bored at the SGC arranges parties for people whose birthday it isn't.. not that she informs guests of this. This scene confirmed what I've been thinking all season: Vala is the Pinkie Pie of Stargate. The non sequiturs, the short attention span, the never ending desire to happy up a dull crowd..

[​IMG]

I spent the whole episode planning to make a Pinkie Pie pic using the Vala quote from this ep and here it is..

[​IMG]

So I'm starting to wonder why Daniel is knocking her back.. it's not like there's no chemistry. He's looking a lot dumber than Harry when 7 offered to copulate..

[​IMG]

And then we got to THIS SCENE and I was absolutely gutted at how Daniel was treating her. Yes I had somehow forgotten about the old fighting before finally falling into each others arms scenario, though that may be because he really did go nasty on her ass :(

[​IMG]

I get it though, at the end of the day he's a bit intimidated and he can't shake the suspicion she just wants a plaything. Glad it worked out in that timeline :)

Despite a bit of mistletoe it seems everyone else spent a lonely half century..

[​IMG]

A lovely scene..

[​IMG]

And an episode I will be very much looking forward to rewatching. I'm wondering if references to the Asgard giving earth all their tech come up in Atlantis? As in, if they've already been willing to do it once, then it all blew up, will Thor give them some again? I can't remember, but it would have had less impact having not seen Stargate.

I know people said it didn't matter.. but is there is a preferred movie to watch first?

18. Skywalker

I rather enjoyed "Unending," but if we hadn't gotten The Ark of Truth I think it would have been a lot less satisfying. Though I bet it would have ended on a cliffhanger if Sci-Fi had greenlit an eleventh season.
    The Ark of Truth was produced first, Continuum second, so I've always figured that's the order in which they should be watched. But Continuum is more of a standalone adventure while The Ark of Truth wraps up the Ori storyline, so that might serve as a better "final episode."

I can't recall any specific Ori references in Continuum, nor any to SGA or anything else. Can anyone else confirm?

19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Vala is no Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie's randomness is creative and endearing, Vala's randomness is bitchy and annoying. As much as I like the actress, she was nothing more than a caricature of O'Neill's zany side but without the seriousness to give her balance

20. teacake

How dare you bitch slap Vala like that!

Bitchy and annoying? Why she constantly reminded me of me!

And I am very endearing, I assure you.

I'll be watching The Ark of Truth next, Ori storyline ftw! Thanks Skywalker :)