Could Janeway have sold the Tuvix process to the Vidiians as a Cure?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure it would alter the balance of power in the Quadrant, and you couldn't trust them to use the integration technology responsibly? I mean obviously Janeway would sell it that two sick Vidiians could 'bind" into a cohesive single life form that could live twice as long and healthily as "its" two sick forefathers... But I can see three possible supercorruptions of the process at first light...

1. The Sick Viddians start integrating with completely healthy alien kidnappees, taking their organ harvesting industry to the next level, which isn't so bad now that they Vidiians can harvest organs without murder. isn't so bad if you squint.

2. The Viddians keep integrating, doubling their life spans and health and ego until billions of Viddians have reduced into a single collective super Vidian, which has the potential to be a more gruesome plague than the Borg if it spreads just right.

3.The Vidiians use the extraction process which cured Neelix and Tuvok to make a super healthy Viddian and a super sick Vdiian, who is either disenfranchised into an even rougher subclass of citizen than previous, or they're instantly thrown into an oven... But they would have experimented with something like that already from when they murdered B'Elanna... But then there's a difference between creating two clones of you and dividing you into two halfyous... Somewhat?

So?

Even though its a Prime Directive issue, to let these assholes die out before they take the universe down with them, might kathy have said "screw the Prime Directive" again? Because saving the Viddiands from the phage is almost as important as stopping the organ harvesting trade.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Could Janeway have sold the Tuvix process to the Vidiians as a Cur

I am SO confused.

You WANT Janeway to help kill off abductees?

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A million people combined via the transporter thing in Tuvix is basically just equivalent to one ex-drone.

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

So by liberating Seven, Janeway liberated a million people.

I still don't understand why he thinks Janeway would want to help the Vidians to subsume aliens more efficiently.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472

Interesting never thought about it this way <.< but i reallly think that is 1 hell of moral dilemma.

6. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was always annoyed Voyager didn't properly conclude the Vidiian story. I get that they were really just passing through and avoiding dangers, but it seemed un-trek to just leave the Vidiians suffering.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they were gross to look at.

8. Guy Gardener

Did you watch flesh and blood or friendship one?

You give a backward self destructive people, a means to save themselves, but they see an alternative use for that lifeline which will increase their short term luxury at the expense of their long term well being usually divided right down the line between the 1 and the 99 percent.

The Prime Directive is about avoiding UNFORESEEN consequences.

If Janeway had imagined that the Hirogen would invent hypersentient Hologams to torture, murder and respawn, torture murder and respawn adinifum, would she have still forced that holomatrix on that Alpha who REALLY REALLY wasn't interested in the technology?

9. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

We got some closure. Think Tank mentions that the Phage was cured by the eponymous association.

10. Guy Gardener

Closure?

"You wouldn't recognize them" could mean AT LEAST three things...

1. We cured them and they're ll fine.

2. We accidentally horribly mutated the phage and now they're all a thousand times worse.

3. They're dead.

11. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

1 and 3 both provide closure.

2 is fun nontheless.

12. Guy Gardener

You know what 2 and 3 really make me think?

A scavenger race like the kazon, or maybe even the kazon bore down upon them in their weakened state and pillaged the frakk out of Vidiia, and set fire to the last of the still living Vidiians as they intergrated the Vidiian fleet into their forces.

Actually, i wouldn't have put it past the Think tank to pay the kazon to sack Vidiia just to cover up how badly they frakked up.

However!

Now the kazon are powerful enough to wander back and steal the Ocampa's water!

(I really think Caretaker was tripping ballks on the pain medication. What sort of idiot counts on his fingers the amount of minutes he has left to live and doesn't look for at the absolute least the key to their liquior cabinet?)

13. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

Meanwhile, the Ocampa have evolved into a race of omnipotent telepaths. They form a benevolent something between the Q Collective and the Borg that takes care of half the Delta Quadrant.

Evolution is easy if you only live 9 years.

14. teacake

Nothing puts me to sleep faster than omnipotent telepaths. And if they have to learn something from humanity it's the sleep of death.

15. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener you are half crazy with your comments but I like that. The Tuvix process would not work because the phage would just eat through the Vidiians cells and stuff.

16. teacake

SO only HALF the person would be left?

:eek:

17. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something like that yeah.

18. Guy Gardener

How would the new mass be displaced?

Swiss cheese?

Shorter

Same size but lighter?

Thinner?

So you use the proccess to break a single sick Vidiian into a thousand 1 inch tall Viddians... you take the healthy ones out and put them into a baggy and burn the rest.

When you have a thousand healthy Vidians in baggies, you let them out and combine them into a new singular healthy Vidian.

seriously though that Holomatrix Janeway gave the Hirogen?

That could have saved them.

Unless you don't think that the downloaded personalities into the holobuffers are anything but fake copies, and really Janeway would have just tricked them all into committing mass suicide... Though the Bynars seemed fine with living in Enterprises computers, so did Barclay and Data's Grampa.

Actually?

What if the Think Tank was actually hired by some sick of the Vidians organ harvesters, and their endgame was the destruction of the Vidiians because even if you cured them of the phage, the organ harvesting wouldn't stop?

19. teacake

Once you have harvested organs hardcore you aren't going to give it up. Even if you don't need to any more physically the psychological need is not going to evaporate.

20. Guy Gardener

There's always going to be a need.

Just because most of the other medical issues out there that can be remedied by an organ transplant, don't require the totally of every ounce of meat off the doner, even if they just take a couple kidneys, their eyes and a liver... These thieves will be leaving more behind bleeding on the deck... but if their motive is now "money" and not the continuation of their species they would have to get a larger payout for taking ships, rather than body parts?