The year is 2000

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lord Garth, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

It's 2000 and you're being asked where you think Star Trek will be 10 years from now. What do you say and what did you think?

At the time, it was a few more years before the possibility of rebooting even entered my mind.

I thought the TNG movies might continue for a little while longer than they actually did, then that would be it for a while. I didn't really think too much beyond TNG. I certainly didn't see Star Trek (2009) coming.

For a series, right up until they announced ENT, I didn't believe it was going to take place in the 22nd Century. I thought we'd either see more of the 24th Century or go into the 25th... if ratings permitted, and I didn't think they would. No matter what it was, I didn't expect a fifth series to go the full seven seasons.

The only thing I got right was that second-generation Star Trek wouldn't last much longer. Outside of that, I was way off.

2. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Intresting idea for a thread, I was always hopeful, however I had a freind that doubted Enterprses quality, b/c of Scott Bakula's involvment; reason being he was well known and the other leads were unknowns (shacky logical...but still). I had hoped the TNG movies could of been more in devolpment & numbers.

Oh well...

-The Shatinator

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Back in 2000, I imagined (or rather wished):

-Series V (debuting in 2001) would be another 24th-Century series about a rundown civilian starship operating in a distant forgotten corner of the Federation, where things weren't quite so comfy (or civilized) and people still had to work for a living and Starfleet wasn't always looked at so favorably (this was long before Firefly).

-TNG movies would continue until 2012...

-2008 would bring us a new series about a 25th-Century Enterprise and her crew.

Not even close...

4. tau136

tau136 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given the drift to dark, gritty material something that out-nined DS9 would have been my guess. Some series with a Defiant type ship in a contentious role.

5. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

I would have said they'd make another movie, it'd suck and that's all folks - nighty-night...

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I was open to anything, but didn't really give it much thought beyond the end of VOYAGER the next year.

7. Captain Zog

Captain Zog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Back in 2000, DS9 was only coming to an end in my corner of the world; Voyager was still running and the TNG era movies had not yet closed shop. I guess I would have envisaged a new TV series after Voyager ended, and maybe some more TNG-based movies. Reboot? Nah. Reboots hadn't really caught on yet back then. Sometimes I wish things had remained that way :rolleyes:

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I got on the net in about May of 2000. It was ALL about SW for me back then. VOY had vanished, for me, after B5 eclipsed EVEYRTHING in terms of TV SF.

INS had come out two years previous and was a complete snooze fest. In fact, I remember the day I went with two friends to see it. "The Goonies" was on tv that afternoon and one of the guys was a MASSIVE Goonies fan like me. When we came out of the cinema he said to me, "We would have been more entertained if we'd stayed home and watched "The Goonies".

I really didn't give ST much thought, to be honest!

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure I thought that there would be no series for a long time, but that TNG would have more films although spread further apart in years.

10. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I pretty much lost interest in Trek at some point in the late '90s-2000 or so. Other things seemed more interesting. I guess maybe I'd have thought "they might do OK if they can hang onto some of those DS9 guys." Alas they couldn't and, for the most part, didn't. Till Trek 2009. I like Trek 2009 a lot.

11. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd predicted that Star Trek would be in trouble if the next series didn't get out of that rut Voyager was digging. I was right about that one. I thought that if the fifth series couldn't get things back on track that would be it for Star Trek for about ten years or so. It didn't take as long as I expected.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Surprisingly - about the time I joined Trek BBS actually - we had the same thread where we were supposed to predict what we thought would happen in ten years. I was partially right with what I said and here it is:

1.) Series Five will come around after Voyager. (HAPPENED)
    2.) When Series Five hits four years a new series will come before the other Treks (prequels were big - pseudo happened).
    3.) Eventually Trek would be entirely rebooted from the beginning (Pseudo happened).