Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

Sadly The Digital Bits must have misread their source. According to the Hollywood Reporter article they link to:

"The agreement excludes about 100 cornerstone Paramount titles, including the Transformers, Star Trek and Indiana Jones franchises."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-warners-home-media-distribution-376469

The original press release concurs: http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/warner-bros-paramount-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/

It's certainly possible that a re-release of the Trek movies will come next year, either in time for the new film's theatrical or home video release, but it will be from Paramount itself rather than Warner.

There's also a major documentary on the movies that is currently homeless, called "Star Trek Motion Pictures: Beyond the Final Frontier" from King Media Services. I wrote to them a couple of years ago when they had a trailer for it on their site, and I was told they were trying to work out a deal with Paramount. They didn't say what venue it was commissioned for.

So between that and the arguable need to remaster several of the films and release the director's editions of 1, 2, and 6, there's certainly an argument for a re-release. Hopefully it eventuates.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Variety article from a week or so ago specifically indicated that Star Trek was one of the titles Paramount was excluding from the agreement.

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Good news. If I remember correctly Amazon followed suite with the same price last time?

4. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

They did and for a short time it was discounted further to $ 59.99

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Amazon still has it at $114.86

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^True. I am waiting to see if they drop the price before I pre-order. $114 is just too much.

7. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

It was 90.99 when I pre-ordered it from Amazon, so the price has actually gone up. I hate to have to order it from Best Buy (I had a bad experience with them once).

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazon is pretty good at lowering their preorder prices on already filled orders and they'll never go above the price you got when you preordered. So you have to get a lot of people to use that price alert option to tell Amazon about the lower price and then they'll change the price.

9. Trekfan76137

Trekfan76137 Ensign Newbie

So this release is on December 4. There have been some unspecified amazing special features to expect. Shouldn't these have been announced by now?

I know on Season 3 of TOS there was a relatively late announcement that it would include the alternate version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before," but I feel like it was more than a month before the release.

I guess my question is, as late as it is, should we believe the hype that there will be more than what has been announced so far?

10. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope. They'll save those kinds of announcements for as late as possible, in case there are production problems and things like that.

11. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

Did you guys actually check out the new screencap from S2 on TrekCore?
    Sorry to say, but it looks like CRAP:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/29102012s2stills.html

Actually I do not understand what went wrong, the screencap for S2 trailer does look excellent.
    Look at the starfield...! The new screencap looks like background is just upscaled.

S2 Trailer screencap (looks good):
    [​IMG]

New S2 screencap (looks like crap):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  12. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The new shot looks low rez. Even in the first shot they've messed up the colours on the warp engines and deflector and the planet is blurry, featureless mess, they may as well have uprezzed the original shot.

Neither compare to these from S1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

On trekcore it is stated that this is the final version from the finished product. So if that is true and they are releasing this image to show off their work then season 2 might be in serious trouble. At any rate we might need to brace ourselves that season 2 will fail to live up to the high standards CBS digital achieved for season 1.

14. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, the images were sent out to Amazon Germany as final promotional shots. I was certainly surprised when I saw it, it almost seems as though the planet was rendered at sub-HD resolution. Still, it's unfair to judge until we see the final version in motion!

15. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's not overreact. This is just one frame from one episode and the image isn't in full HD. Yes, the planet looks more soft and less detailed than what we've come to expect. But this could be an intentional artistic choice that might look far better in motion.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Agreed. This looks nowhere near as bad as some here and on the TrekCore discussion page make it sound like. Still this image looks really good and far superior to everything we got before, quality-wise.

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Hmm. That Pen Pals shot is not FullHD resolution though. Yes, it looks bad here but I'd rather wait and see what it really looks like at full res.

It does make me slightly worried however.

18. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not going to unleash the hate on the season 2 blu-ray until more images are released. The S2 trailer looked pretty decent so I can't imagine the final product looking any worse than what we saw there.

19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I blame Dan Curry!

I kind of kid. During the initial run of TNG, teh two effects producers Curry and LEgato (until Legato left to do DS9, you could always see a distinct difference between the two with Legato's work sharper, and Curry's a lighter softer and more lite.

I know Dan is working as an adviser to the group who is doing season two and I honestly was wondering if his perspective would be for a softer looking presentation.

I hope I am wrong. Though as stated it is still far superior to what we have for season two.

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

To be honest, I find it ridiculous how many people (not necessarily here) cry foul over one fucking screencap! I mean, come on, this is just one still image of several hours of material. And I bet even that one looks just fine in motion. I cannot grasp how anyone would cancel his order over this. Star Trek fans are a funny bunch sometimes.