Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

The Mission: Impossible theme song and opening are one of the best things about the show. I never tire of hearing it. Why do they skip it?

At the very least, credits serve as a demarcation between episodes. Does Netflix want everything to flow into each other seamlessly?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I haven't noticed that. If they're doing that, it must've started recently, after I last watched M:I. But I haven't noticed any other shows skipping their main titles.

I just began rewatching Eureka, and I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a "previously" recap on the second episode, which followed right on from the events of the pilot. If Netflix is dropping them, that would explain it. But it doesn't bother me. I don't need a recap of an episode I just saw.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't really matter. I didn't mean to make a big thing about my frustration and dislike of the way netflix works, or my thoughts on companies who would use the service for original content. My opinion is going to stay the same. I'll stay doubtful that there will ever be a legal way for non netflix people to see the shows, and I'll still hope something happens to discourage Marvel/Disney from using netflix for more original content. At this point discussing that stuff is just taking way too much of this thread up from people who are excited to get the shows and talk about them.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Your 'opinion' is based on faulty logic, inaccurate information and an unwillingness to make any effort whatsoever.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't really have a problem with the "name change". A few weeks ago we were discussing how well Heroes for Hire would fit on the small screen and now its happening. Like Arrow, these are characters who will adapt well to a television budget.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

But then again, that seems to be your main talent.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel doesn't also reissue a second printing of the long out of print ALIAS Omnibus, Iron Fist Omnibus and DD Omnis by Fraction. As an Omni buyer I could use a few of them.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's his MO in essentially every thread he ever posts in. It's entirely pointless to attempt to reason with him. No amount of factual evidence will ever sway him. He's perfectly content to stay in a bubble of delusion.

I strongly encourage everyone to just let him be and stop engaging with the nonsense.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Yeah, why let facts stop you now?

11. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping these shows encourages Marvel to collect the Owlsey/Bright run of Power Man & Iron Fist. Hell, I'd settle for just one more volume in the PM&IF Essential series.

The Alias comic was brilliant -- too bad the omnibus is out of print. Hopefully new series on Netflix will spur Marvel to reissue some out of print material, as you suggested. The Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs should always be available to new readers.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the 90s Heroes for Hire series being collected. It may not mesh well with the street-level Defenders that Netflix is cultivating, but I thought it had some solid stories and dynamic art by a young Pasqual Ferry.

12. Christopher

Cool.

Hey, it occurs to me... if we've got Power Man and Iron Fist shows, does that mean Misty Knight and Colleen Wing will be supporting characters?

And I hope the article's right that they'll emulate the lighter Mark Waid run on Daredevil, which I've been following in TPB thanks to the library. I'm normally not a DD fan, but the Waid series is very well-done. The darker, relentlessly grim DD doesn't appeal to me much. From what I've seen of Stan Lee's original version of DD, he was conceived as a carefree, fearless character, one of Lee's many wisecracking, fun-loving heroes, which is a better fit to the name "Daredevil" than someone who's perpetually grim, angst-ridden, and weighed down by life.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too bad they wouldn't (I'm assuming) do a 70s take on Heroes for Hire, that would be glorious.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sweet Christmas!

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the other day about the supporting characters we might see. I've already mentioned Ben Urich, and you brought up Colleen and Misty. Also there's characters like Shang-Chi (Too bad that they wouldn't be able to use Fu Manchu as his father), Carol Danvers (a major Jessica Jones/"Alias" supporting character) and, of course, Foggy Nelson.

And then there's villains such as Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, Purple Man (A foe of all of these characters, but of Jessica Jones in particular), The Hand (They weren't referred to as such in The Wolverine, were they? They first appeared in Daredevil anyway) underworld types like Kingpin, the Owl and Silvermane.

Christine Everhart, played by Leslie Bibb in Iron Man and Iron Man 2, is a Daily Bugle reporter in the comics (as was/is Ben Urich). The list goes on.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  16. Christopher

I'm not sure whether Kingpin and Ben Urich would be considered DD or Spider-Man characters, though. And Sony has the Spidey rights. For that matter, isn't Silvermane originally a Spidey character?

Granted, both Kingpin and Urich were in the DD movie, but now that Fox's rights to DD have lapsed, things could've changed. Maybe some rights went to Marvel while the rights to the "joint" SM/DD characters stayed with Sony. I dunno, maybe that's unlikely, but I'm reluctant to assume anything.

17. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Both Kingpin and Urich were in the Daredevil movie.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, we discussed this a few pages ago. If Daredevil had been Sony (i.e., the same studio owned both Daredevil and Spider Man), there'd be a good argument that the character could have been a Spider Man property. However, since it wasn't, it doesn't really make sense for Kingpin's rights not to follow Daredevil's. I would be shocked if Marvel can't use him.

19. Christopher

No, it doesn't make sense, but we're talking about contracts and money, so there's no guarantee that things would make sense. I think there's a good chance that Marvel has the rights to those characters, but I hesitate to take it for granted.

20. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Kingpin was a Sony license, then Kingpin would have appeared in the Sony Spectacular Spider-man cartoon. Instead, they had "The Big Man" who turned out to be Tombstone.