Spock's child - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by mythme, Sep 23, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Probably why the idea was jettisoned in the first place. That and the idea is made all the ewwww, when you factor in that in the novels and comics Spock is sort of an adoptive father to Saavik--having rescued her from Hellguard as child and taken on himself to raise in the ways of Vulcan.

So basically ripping of the story behind the novel Time For Yesterday.

2. SolitaryJustice

SolitaryJustice Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've never read Time For Yesterday. Is it good? I don't read the books. It's not canon, so, to me, I've never felt it necessary to put forth the effort.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why does it matter if the books are canon? There are some really good stories out there.

4. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

Whether you read the books or not is your decision. I won't chime in either way.

But here's my recommendation--write that story you have in your head! :cool: :techman:

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Also, "put in the effort" is the wrong way to go about it. If you read them, it should be because you want to enjoy those stories, not because you "have to endure them". Which, really, is, what the problem is with the General Audience and a heavy "necessary to know" continuity. The General Audience isn't interested enough to want to watch everything and catch up on continuity, so, for them, it would be having to put in effort.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Uh...wow.

That's just down right insulting to the authors.

Stories that ended up being the reference materials behind some of the stuff in the reboots.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh... that's a stretch to reach for an insult. Fact of the matter is the vast majority of people aren't going to read a book these days when they can stare at a computer or tv screen. It's just the way it is.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Not really. It's basically saying "I'll never read your stuff cause it doesn't matter, it's not important." It's the dismissive attitude towards the works and by extension the authors that's offensive; treating it's somehow lesser quality cause it doesn't fit into some (largely already contradictory) canonical structure.

9. R. Star

Again, I'll say you're reaching to be insulted by that as that's not what he said. All he said is he was he doesn't read the books since they're not canon. Everything else, are conclusions you're drawing.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between: "I only watch the show (movie) I don't read the books" and "I don't read the books cause they're not worth the effort cause their not canon".

The former is simply a statement of preference, the latter is a judgement that since they're not canon they don't matter anyway so they are worthless to the franchise.

You call it reaching, I call it an insult. We'r not going to agree on it.

11. R. Star

Yes there is a difference between it. He said the former and not the latter. You're putting words into SolitaryJustice's mouth. If the man doesn't want to read the books that doesn't mean he's being insulting about it.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

As I said, we're going to disagree on this one.