If you wrote the next one, which original episode would you revisit?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Matt S, May 17, 2013.

1. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Re: If you wrote the next one, which original episode would you revisi

No, seriously, I am placing my money on a remake of The Doomsday Machine, with a handsome bounty paid to Norman Spinrad. Any remake of TDM has to involve paying Spinrad and CBS. I think that a Doomsday Machine story has great potential though.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY[/yt]

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then Shore Leave needs to be redone. Or at the very least, that back rub scene does.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The backrub scene:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCC0OaU8ndA[/yt]

5. montag01

montag01 Ensign Red Shirt

Just for a lark, perhaps they could do some riff on "Metamorphosis" and have the crew encounter the "lost" Zefram Cochrane, with James Cromwell reprising the role. I think that would be fun as a side story; it certainly couldn't carry the plot of the movie.

6. teacake

That's a great idea.

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

As mentioned before by me, I want to see the Star Trek novels be adapted into movies, the same way plots and elements from comic books were used to make up the frame work of the Nolanverse Batman movies. I would also love to see a new take on the Mirror Universe as well.

By the time this movie would be made, Cromwell would be quite old to play Cochrane, I think (never mind the vegetarian diet he's on.) A better idea might be to adapt the novel Federation as a movie, with Cromwell playing the aged Cochrane (the younger version could be played by somebody else.)

THIS.

The episode was the shittiest ever devised for Star Trek: TOS, and didn't say anything that wasn't said in 'This Side of Paradise'. Also, the idea that hippies would exist in the 23rd century is absurd.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not? They wouldn't be real hippies -- just part of the "Occupy Starbase 12" movement.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather have an original story than a retake on something that's been done.

10. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty clear to me they plan to do the third movie with Klingons, a la Christopher Lloyd and Krug. They won't have Spock to search for, but they set up a Klingon conflict with the Federation pretty solidly -- and threw out a line to that effect. I.e., What do you think the Klingons are going to do after the incursion into their space...

11. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like an original story, but if they want to wrap up a classic episode during the pre-title segment of the movie, I would be fine with that.

If they pull from an episode maybe - Doomsday Machine, Where No Man Has Gone Before, Charlie X, Ultimate Computer, Taste of Armageddon, Errand of Mercy, Mirror Mirror, Naked Time, Bread and Circuses, Piece of the Action.

-Chris

12. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

THIS.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the next movie will be a new story about a major conflict between the Federation and the Klingons as well.

But if had to revisit a classic episode, I'd combine aspects of Errand of Mercy with Friday's Child and Day of the Dove.

14. teacake

I think a lot of people, including me, feel that way. But we have given up and bow to the inevitable now.

15. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

For myself, I'd do mirror mirror, but in a way so that the universes co-existed, so kinda evil Enterprise versus good Enterprise.

This is more of a 'what if' kinda dream

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Mirror Mirror with a twist.

The other universe is good and Abrams universe is evil. You know no phasers, no 6 photon torpedoes ports. No sex before marriage. Harry Mudd is a trusted trade envoy. Khan was woken up and devotes his time to improving the 'human condition'. The Klingons love tribbles and every Klingon carries one on his/her shoulder. The captaincy of the Enterprise rotates through everyone who well wants to have a turn. There is no alcohol. Everyone is vegetarian. Ooops gone a bit too far there.

17. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ovation!, how you doing, love?

I was joking...

Except for this - in TOS Kirk always had an interesting tension to his womanizing. He plainly liked sex, found lots of women sexy, liked being sexy to women - but he could also be reluctant (Mudd's Women, Miri) and calculating about seduction (What are Little Girls Made of, Catspaw, Wink of an Eye), and in general he was, well, classier about it all than Pine's Kirk who seems to walk around with his tongue hanging out like a frat boy on the make.

Now, granted they are plainly playing nuKirk as a younger, more immature version of the character at this point - but anyone who can't walk across a courtyard without giving a wink and a "Hey there, sexy lady" to a passing hottie comes across to me as either trying way too hard to prove he's hetero, or just an asshat. The problem is they're playing it for laughs, rather than trying to make nuKirk actually sexy, so that when he is actually sexy, as in scenes of real loyalty and emotion, who he's having those scenes with - is Spock.

I mean, one of my biggest problems with nuTrek is that McCoy is sexier than Kirk - and that's just wrong.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:wtf:

I hope that was a joke?

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

V'Ger versus the Doomsday Machine with the Enterprise and the Klingons caught in the middle and then the Borg show up and then Q and Charlie X.

20. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*sigh*

No.

The messages of the two episodes are quite different. The Way to Eden is about the dangers of gurus - it says that putting your faith in a charismatic savior so that you don't have to think for or make choices for yourself will ultimately lead to dissapointment. This Side of Paradise says that a life of perfect bliss is also a life without accomplishment. The only thing they share is general dislike for the belief that living in Paradise would be cool - ironically the very idea that many have embraced as the core of "Roddenberry's Vision" for Star Trek as a whole.

The Way to Eden gets a bad rap. TOS did much, much worse episodes - I would rather watch Way to Eden on an endless loop than be subjected to the mind-numbing boredom of even a single viewing of That Which Survives, Wolf in the Fold or Spock's Brain.