Those with LEGIT Voyager DVDs, please help

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by msdossys, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Blu-ray will look slightly better if you are watching it on a post 2000 standard def TV (even regular DVD's will look slightly better) with component video. But on pre 2000 TV's, it's not going to make much difference.

But, with Blu-Rays, anything that is in 4:3 (Star Trek TNG, It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle On 34th Street) the image will be right in the center of the screen and surrounded on all 4 sides by black boxes because of the image being in a 16:9 matte.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No, you just make sure your settings are correct and it will display properly.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I've used a Blu-Ray player on a standard TV before. If its been encoded on the DVD or the Blu-Ray in 4:3 480i, then the 4:3 image will fill the entire screen. But if the image is on a Blu-Ray at 720p or higher it'll be shown as a little square in the center of the screen with black on all 4 sides, because there is no native HD 4:3 encoding. any movies or TV shows that were shot in 4:3 and are being put on Blu-Ray will be in a 16:9 anamorphic matte, but won't have information on the edges, so when they are played on a Standard def TV it will look just like the person's watching a widescreen movie, but there will be black all around.

4. msdossys

msdossys Cadet Newbie

First, thank you, second, there should be a letter before those numbers, but either way, that is a much different code than my Z977. Only after filing a complaint with eBay the seller responded. Go figure :). We're shipping them back to the seller, and will get a refund. I also wanted to start this thread to bring some more attention to the issue, as I only found a few places where someone had pictures and information about bootlegs, mostly about the real obvious fakes.

Sorry I have not posted the pictures yet, went out and watched Some Blu-Ray TNG Season 2 on the big screen last night. There will be some cool extras in these Blu Ray releases!

As for the Blu-Ray releases of Voyager, I'm not holding my breath... those will take a while... they have DS9 to do first! And also speaking of Blu-Ray, Amazon has TOS Blu-Ray for $129 for the whole Series. Bought that for a gift, which I will be borrowing after Christmas!

Generic replies to the rest of the thread that went sideways - You can stretch your DVD/Blu-Ray picture to 16:9 on a 16:9 TV, but everyone will get 'wider'. Otherwise, watch it letterboxed, however you should not have black bars on the top or bottom, just left and right.

Any more ifpi codes?

5. msdossys

msdossys Cadet Newbie

Heres the pictures

The first 2 pictures were taken with my iPhone 5, the rest with a Canon 5D Mark II, so dont blame the camera for bad image quality!
    You can click on any picture to show the full size original.

Some questionable screen printing on the disc along with the 'pits' on the surface. And the ifpi number.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More underside pictures, and the slipcover with the screenprinting on it
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More slipcover
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Slipcover and DVD book
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More DVD Book -- looks right.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Trying to get more of the 'pitting' on the discs. It was on all discs, not just the top one.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey! these look like the real thing... not the usual cardboard imports!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Image printed (not studio quality) and not put on straight. More pits, bad screenprinting on disc.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More trying to get the ifpi number, and other random barcode/printing on underside of disc.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Even more ifpi, best shot. Paper insert.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Same paper insert, closeup (not good quality):
    [​IMG]

Heres a shot of my LEGIT DS9 Sleeve.. much better quality!
    [​IMG]

And the clincher... DVD Decrypter says all region:
    [​IMG]

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what the Asian fakes look like, but if someone wants to tell me they come that way for real go ahead. It's easy to see with some ebay research that these are the fakes.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just a side note, 480i is SD for NTSC, in PAL regions it would be 576i

8. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All depends on the movie. I've got a BD-movie thats in 4:3 Looks like like 4:3 would on an HDTV.. Bars down the sides. All my old school SD-DVD's are the same way.

I've also used my BD on my old 32" JVC SD Tube tv. 16:9 looks jut like you think it would.. black bars top and bottom.

At least on my LG Blu-Ray player.

9. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

I think they are more flaky than the ones that are very near fake. You can still manage to get some real service from them.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, seems like they put some real effort into forging those. Are you trying to get your money back on these? That may end up being more effort than it's worth. If it was me, I'd just hit em with negative feedback on ebay and live with it, if the DVDs are functional.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I think teacake is PAL. On exodus's point upthread, better picture quality isn't going to improve TNG for me, and I'm not sure it'll do much for DS9/VOY either. ENT definitely due to sfx and I like some (not all) of the TOS remastered just for fixing some of the boobies.

12. teacake

OMG lurok your xmassy snowy T'Pol is lovely :adore:

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Thank you *blush*. Will there be an Xmas teacake? Isn't it summer there? :)

14. teacake

The Xmas teacake is here NOW.

Yes it IS summer.. and it ROCKS.

Very special Trek rocks. Yeah.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Is that a Penis Rock or are you just happy to see us?

16. teacake

The best part is how Chak is obscured by the penis rock. I bet he thinks Janeway is maniacally beaming at him but he is wrong.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Even with the help of his spirit guide, it would be hard for Chakotay to measure up to that.

18. R. Star

Chakotay will tell you an Indian story about how his people INVENTED the penis rock.

19. teacake

And why did such manly men need to invent penis rocks I wonder, hmmmm?

20. R. Star

You shouldn't have to ask, you're more harsh on Chuckles than I am, and I'm the one who advocates that Janeway had him castrated after Caretaker. :p