XXIX Olympic games coverage

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Brolan, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really wish they would've shown the Opening Ceremonies live....

2. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I could give a crap less about the olympics.

3. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Saw Australia march as one of last countries. Missed a lot of the ceremony, as I was sleeping.

4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

More than likely, but NBC has its own online coverage of pretty much everything. I'd bet dollars to donuts that most of the video will be the same as the Olympic website.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'll be gone tonight so i'm setting the dvr(shame I can't use the HD NBC channel tonight)
    6:30 for me

6. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^That's good... I was a hair's bredth from being a little pissed. For those who've watched online before, are the videos available after they are first streamed, or do you have to watch them live? Like I said above, I really want to watch the women's individual archery, but almost everything is 2am-4am in the middle of a big job training week.

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that has been the case for a long time. When I was growing up, I was under the mistaken impression that NBC (or whichever network was doing the coverage) hosted the Olympics and everything revolved around the U.S. athletes. :borg:

8. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

This is the first time that they've streamed the Olympics online like this; NBC only had highlight videos in 2004 and limited event coverage in 2006.

Their FAQ says this:
    MSNBC's online content and longevity is excellent, but YMMV on how long this will stay up.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Try http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/livevideo/ You can adjust the schedule for your own time zone.

I saw them live on CBC. The Canadian athletes got a nice reception from the crowd. :)

[​IMG]

10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I tried your link but it doesn't work for me. They can id your country from your IP address and I don't think they are allowed to stream to the US.

Maybe someone else from the US can confirm or deny this?

11. Brolan

It will be interesting to see how the US athletes are greeted. I wouldn't be surprised if we were cheered or booed.

12. Brolan

I remember watching the Olympics as a kid in the '60s and '70s. Minimal intrusion by the sportscasters and they showed everyone who competed. Not just the US athletes and a few elite foreigners.

I always thought the NBC coverage should called the "US Olympic coverage *"

* 'and a few people from unimportant countries'

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Darnitall. :( I'm sorry the link doesn't work for you, Brolan.

But not to worry -- the U.S. athletes were not booed. That is an inexcusably rude thing to do at the Olympics, and the only time I can think of when it does happen is if the audience takes extreme exception to the way an event is judged or an athlete shows extremely poor sportsmanship.

14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, you need an anonymizer or a proxy server. Every country is doing this, unfortunately.

Also, there's so much coverage about this fencer who won gold for China in Los Angeles but is not fencing for Canada. I'm sure there's a little cheering for that person.

15. anais

anais Captain Captain

I read somewhere that Putin and the russian athletes were booed.

16. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Pretty epic opening ceremony in lack for better words! Loved that the Swedish team had nice China-style clothes, the women looked especially hot in the Chinadresses :D But damn did they pick the most Swedishlooking guy to hold the flag :lol: Me and sis kept making jibes whenever we could about China and their politics though.

Looking forward to seeing the olympics, even though it will be odd since the swimming, one the sports I really care about, will be broadcast EARLY around here since US networks (I can only assume that means NBC) had demanded that it be held at a time that worked for the US audience. :rolleyes:

17. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Yep, the IOC allowed NBC to rearrange the swimming schedule so that all finals are being held in US prime time. So much for the vaunted Olympic spirit; it can be bought by anyone with enough money, apparently. :rolleyes:

What I saw of the opening ceremony looked fabulous, but I'm not sure about the Australian team's outfits. :wtf: Hopefully channel 7's coverage won't be as embarrassing as usual...yeah, right.

18. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

You know, I really wish there was a way to shut up the damn commentators and listen to what's actually going on. :rolleyes:

19. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It probably helps that many of the sponsors are American as well.

20. Neeka Keet

Neeka Keet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, blah blah blah. I would prefer subtitles explaining the symbolism and not a couple of wankers going on about stuff they probably are reading from a fucking script.

P.S. The Chinese don't do anything small. I'm utterly impressed.