Spolier - - - Pic of the new version***-******* for series 7

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by werdegast, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they aren't 4'11" like the Sontarans :D Otherwise, I dig 'em.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a classic fan. I got into the series through the reboot and (in retrospect) the 90s movie. The 'classic' designs hold no extra charm for me just because they recall something familiar. This looks just as cheesy and "man in suit" as the old ones. Yes they added some variation on the surface detailing and got rid of the pincers, but that doesn't make it any more convincing. The old design at least had the appearance of being somewhere between armor and an organic carapace which emphasized their 'alien-ness'. This just looks like a guy in reptilian-styled armor, and the helmet (the worst part of either version) still looks stupid.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lego hands! Love it! A lot easier to say and type than "Dr. Satan's Robot pincers". And it conveys the mental image far more clearly.

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I generally use "Manacle Hands", but, Lego Hands is pretty cool :bolian:

5. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I'm very glad I'm not the only one who thought of Legos the first time I saw those hands (or Satan's Robot for that matter)!

As to the "damned if you change it, damned if you don't" mentality, it's far, far worse on Gallifrey Base. Half the Spearhead from Space Blu-Ray thread is dedicated to bashing the RT for fixing the TARDIS sound effects on the 2011 release.

6. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I suspect they'll take off the helmet at some point. Did the classic series ever show their faces? I haven't seen any of the Ice Warrior stories, just random clips.

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, we never saw their faces, just the hint of gnarled jaw underneath.
    Wish the new ones still had the 'knee pads' The gaps between thigh and calf at the knee just look like stupidly easy targets for a knife!

8. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

It looks like it to me. Looks a lot like the console room from early to mid-80's and with the darker lighting, it looks like the set of a bad 80's music video. Horrible.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I think they look pretty good if perhaps a little too robotic. Much better than the original Cybermen redesign, though. Can't wait to see these guys in action.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which oddly enough resembles the skin of victims of The Flood in Waters of Mars. Wonder if theres a connection?

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I just flat-out think they look ridiculous. The simple philosophy behind their armor design is pretty goofy. It'd be like us running around decked out in armor that looks like it was made of human flesh, complete with clumps of hair still attached to it. Not fur, not leather. Actual human flesh, complete with freckles and other blemishes.

12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But you're right on with the leather analogy. Pretty much what they're doing, just with reptile skins instead of mammals. And if it's supposed to be their "modern" stuff, hey, we have leather jackets and pants. We even tint it to look a different shade of fleshtone than our skin because it looks cooler.

Mark

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't look like reptile skin though, it looks like armor designed to look like some cartoonist's idea of reptile skin. The big chunky detailing and the gaps at the joints make it look like a scaled up action figure.

14. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Well at least nobody ever thought it was a good idea for Barman and Robin to have nipples on their armour.
    They would have to reboot the series if that happened!

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, thank goodness it was only Batman, and not Barman. ;)