So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Having finished the Q Continuum trilogy, now on Gaiman's American Gods - still my favourite of his

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Startrek Collision course by William Shatner and Debt of Bones by Terry Goodkind.

3. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

Fix'd that for ya!

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It's by Shatner and the Reeves-Stevenses. Their collaborative process has been discussed many times on this BBS; Shatner writes Kirk's plotlines and dialogue, the R-Ses devise most of the rest, and they rewrite each other's work and Shatner has the final say on every line.

5. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I just finished New Frontier: Fire on High, and started Once Burned.

While I liked all three books, I have to agree on this.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  6. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Ensign Newbie

Just finished Cat Daddy by Galaxy Jackson. Started reading Full Circle again so that I can finally read Worthy and Children of the Storm. Want to be caught up when the next Voyager book comes out.

7. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I love Stephen King. I have not read that one yet. His body of work is so diverse I think that the label of horror novelist doesn't fit. he writes such interesting characters and stories. I really like Duma key. Have you read that one?

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Section 31: Abyss by Jeffrey Lang and David Weddle

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Just finished Forged in Fire, while in a waiting room. Not a bad book. It started out slow, picked up in the middle, and then ended slow. Overall a decent read.

Just started DRGIII's Plagues of Night, great beginning, cannot wait to see where it goes:D

10. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Finished re-reading Destiny: Mere Mortals by David Mack yesterday. A really great read, I certainly enjoyed this novel more than the first. Probably because you could really empathize with Hernandez and everything she went through during her 800+ years with the Caeliar. Top stuff.

A little break from Destiny now as I pick up the much respected Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane. I've never read it before, so you guys better be right. :D

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone here read Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale? I've become curious about mermaid stories recently, and I love stories that play with fairy tales, myths, and legends, but I'm afraid this might be too romance novelly for me.

12. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quite enjoyed that book when I read it. Also have always liked Bashir and Ezri together.

13. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like I'm entering a science fiction kick, and I've started it off with a couple of books from the library.

First is Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, a book I'm finding to be quite a page-turner. I was pleased with Revelation Space when I read it a couple years ago and I've been meaning to return to him ever since. Maybe later this year I'll finish off that trilogy, though I also want to read House of Suns as well.

And there's The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1, with a couple stories I've read before and others I'm familiar with from listening to the old radio show X Minus One. I'm skipping around in the book. So far my favourite has been, hands down, "The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

finished Reap the Whirlwind last night, about to start Open Secrets

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying it so far. Bashir was one of my favorite characters on DS9, so it's nice to have a book that focuses primarily on him.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just picked up Forgotten History and Plagues of Night and am currently reading Forgotten History. The first DTI novel, Watching the Clock, has cemented itself as one of my all-time favorite pieces of Star Trek fiction, and I'm really enjoying Forgotten History even though I'm only a couple of chapters into it.

I also just finished re-reading Guardian of the Balance, the first book in Irene Radford's Merlin's Descendants series (which I would highly recommend, BTW).

17. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished New Frontier: Once Burned earlier today. I had read it years ago, but remembered practically nothing about. I'm glad I re-read it, because it's very good.

Then I read the Supernatural comic, Origins. It's not that great, I didn't really care for the artwork, and the story wasn't that good, it just seemed..."off" I guess. There are some things from the show that it contradicts, or that the show later contradicted, like hellhounds being visible, Sam and Dean meeting Joe Harvelle when they actually met her for the first time in the show, and the comic suggesting something other than a Demon killed Mary. I enjoyed the Rising Son comic a lot better.

I'm now reading Starfleet Academy: The Gemini Agent.

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just finished Trill: Unjoined. Really enjoyed it. I thought it got a bit slow, some sequences could have been pushed together a bit. And while from a style point of view I liked the first chapter being out of sequence, it ultimately didn't really serve a story purpose. Moving onto to the Kira story from Tales from the Captain's Table and then Bajor: Fragments & Omens.

19. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

About to start Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Abyss. So far the FOTJ series has been adequate. I really liked Outcast, but Omen was just a waste of pages. Mostly redundant of Outcast.

20. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Finished: Time For Yesterday. I give it a 9/10.

Now, I'm continuing my ST novel read-through with Strangers From The Sky and the Khan/Spock/Voyage trilogy. (And possibly skipping ahead to read Plagues Of Night...)