La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

they fixed it to 3000 so ill probably buy a copy and i dont care.

2. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's a specialty label. They never get the digital rights to the music. It was always going to be CD-only.

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

just kind of annoying being in the UK i think the ron jones stuff was finally release on DD.

4. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looking forward to this more than their TNG Boxset. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. jb1234

A very notable exception. I'm not sure what deal they made to make that happen.

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

La-La Land Records didn't put out the Ron Jones box set. Film Score Monthly did. And while the two labels do work together on various projects, it doesn't necessarily follow that just because they got one released digitally, they'd be able to do so automatically for all of them.

7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

So the track listing is out now. It is only 73.2% as bad as I had expected a few days ago - ah well.

Puzzling to see we get The Visitor again when disc space is at a premium - that episode already had a rather comprehensive suite on one of the Best-ofs.

I think that Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang would have been a much better inclusion instead of Our Man Bashir. A soundtrack by the same composer, in the same vein, only vastly superior. The wall-to-wall music of the entire heist scene is quite spectacular - as is the training/slomo walking down the promenade in 60s get-up montage.

8. doubleohfive

As opposed to... not getting an album at all? Come on.

True. But it could be that being that it's also such a popular episode, the label wanted to include it. Or maybe the composer (McCarthy) insisted on including it because he likes it or feels its some of his best work. Or, maybe La-La Land didn't want to deal with the possible fan outrage of it not being included, because come on, let's be honest here - we outrage over the silliest things sometimes.

Yeah, but look at it this way. The music from "Our Man Bashir" has never been released or available outside of the actual broadcast episode. Meanwhile, Frontier himself has a rip of the jazzy slo-mo scene music you're talking about available for download over at TrekCore. It's entirely possible that La-La Land didn't bother to include that music because it's already "out there." I mean, why waste disc space with something people can (and have been able to) get for free for the last 14 years?

9. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disc four has "What You Leave Behind." That may be enough to convince me to purchase this (though I am sure I'll love the other stuff on this release, too)!

10. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

Some interesting selections. There are plenty I am looking forward to on the McCarthy disc such as "The Die Is Cast", "Far Beyond The Stars" and "Once More Unto the Breach." While others I cannot recall any cues from "The Storyteller", "Life Support", or "Explorers" so we'll see.

On the Chattaway disc I am looking forward to "The Search", "One Little Ship", "A Call To Arms" and "The Changing Face of Evil." I forgot about "Broken Link" and just re-watched it and it had a few majestic cues. But "By Inferno's Light" and "Strange Bedfellows" I cannot recall much. I was surprised to see the omission of "Bada-Bing Bada-Bang"

Glad the guest disc is Bell heavy. Looking forward to "Sacrifice of the Angels" and "Take Me Out" the most. As well as Gregory Smith's "Field of Fire."

Final disc looks good.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My problem is that the track list doesn't specify cues or lengths, just episodes. In many cases it's just one track from a given episode, and on discs with something like two dozen tracks apiece, that suggests a typical track would be no more than three minutes on average. So some of these episodes are only going to be briefly represented.

12. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

I think we all kind of had a "wish list" of episodes and cues that would be included. Personally, I was looking forward to "Shakaar", "Empok Nor", "Past Tense", "In the Cards", "Rocks and Shoals", and I'm shocked "Badda-Bing" wasn't included. But I'll get over it. :)

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The TNG disc was billed as "Volume 1," but I don't see that designation on the art for this. I presume it's the only DS9 release we'll get for a while? It has a pretty good assortment, although with four CDs, you can't include everything.

Maybe by the time the Blu-Rays come out CBS will have come around on the issue of isolated score tracks.

14. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

I just re-watched "By Inferno's Light" and there is quite a bit of music in the episode. Was very militaristic and dark sounding, so I look forward to it's inclusion depening on which cues are included.

There wasn't a whole lot that struck the ear in "Explorers."

15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

What about that nice montage when Ben and Jake built the ship? That had some beautiful music.

However, all during that scene I kept waiting for Mr. T to appear with a welding torch and for the A-Team theme to play.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

LaLaLand's website is open to international orders.

17. jb1234

The only thing from "Strange Bedfellows" I remember is the creepy final cue that underscores Winn and Dukat scheming. I'm really hoping La-La will release the cue list on their website when the release is ready for order. Episode titles really aren't enough.

18. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. doubleohfive

Got mine in last night. I haven't ripped it to iTunes yet, but have actually been playing the CDs in my laptop all morning AND LOVING IT.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  20. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I placed my order. I hope it makes it's way up to Canada quick.