Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Maurice, May 2, 2014.

?

Please rate Starship Exeter: The Tressaurian Intersection (whole show,

Poll closed Oct 29, 2014.
  1. Best. Trek Fanfilm. Ever.

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Excellent

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Good

15 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Average

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Fair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a higher res download? This FLV from Youtube looks like blurry poop on a big screen.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The show was shot in standard def, so 640 by 480 is it.

Of course, when we were making it the highest resolution at which people were watching Trek TOS was standard def on old style vacuum tube television sets. :lol:

3. Forbin

Good point! :lol:

4. FredCFO

FredCFO Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am glad this episode has finally been finished. Thanks to all.

I skipped right to Act IV when it posted last night at 9PM EDT and then watched the whole thing.

An impressive effort...ten plus years in the making.

I also got to see my name in the end credits as a donor. That was a nice gesture. Best $75 (I think, it was back in 2004...) I ever spent. I look forward to the "making of" DVD to come out this summer.

This is historic.

5. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

I REALLY enjoyed that. Thanks to all who made it happen!

6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched the entire episode; great job to all involved. Thanks for taking the time to finish this up. Quite the accomplishment after all of these years.

Congrats!!

7. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Hi to FredCFO,
    I voted Excellent, the only drawback was the delay for Act 4.
    I fell in love with the teaser 10 yrs ago. :drool::drool:I cant wait for the DVD on the making of later this year.
    Hope to see a few of the actors doing some work in other fan films.
    Thanks again to all who worked o this!!!!!! :bolian::bolian::bolian:

8. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Three come to mind. In the teaser, that awkward moment where Richards appears to try to shake hands with Garrovick and he hands her the memo pad instead seems a little tighter. In the Kongo engine room, the engineer's line where he's saying they can't tow it all the way back to earth space, a cutaway to Garrovick seems to have been added. When B'fuselek apologizes for his weakness, it looks like that's been tightened up a little. Just minor stuff lasting maybe a couple of seconds total, but to me they make a big difference in the smoothness of the flow. In such a tight, fast-moving story, any breaks in the pacing really show up and I think while most people may not consciously notice them, I do think the overall effect is going to be much smoother. Just two cents worth from the peanut gallery.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted "Excellent" - and honestly, it is one of the best fan films to date. The story was well done (and something the guys writing Phase II should note in particular, and other groups should see; is you can as shown here write a GOOD, engaging and entertaining story WITHOUT constant touch stoning and name dropping every 5 minutes.)

The ONLY reason I didn't vote 'Best fan film ever' is because it took 9 years for it to finally get finished and fully shown. I'm honestly quite sad that we'll never see more from this group; but if you only have one episode to show, it helps that it's a VERY well done one from start to finish.

Well done to everyone involved - just wish we could get some more from this group.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^There are TWO episodes.

11. Forbin

And FOUR lights!

12. Forbin

Watched it at work on this very slow day. Marvelous job all!

When does the next episode come out?

;)

13. Maurice

14. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Was it the best fan film ever? No.
    That honor goes to Fry's Trek! ;-)

Was it great? YES! The last act was one hellava ride!

Good job to everyone! I had only watched the teaser and act
    1 before. I wanted to watch it all in one sitting.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this.

15. Maurice

Interesting, but we made no edits were to the previous acts. All Scott did was load them and re-render them.

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

At last!

The complete TTI was well worth the test of patience! I sort of expected the "guest star" outcome, as the mid-episode focus is similar to the way such guests were used not only on TOS, but other 1960s series. That said, the emotional impact was not lost.

The overall tone and character interplay sold the episode as genuine TOS-era Star Trek. I can imagine this crew functioning in the same universe of the Enterprise like the many guest star captain, lieutenant and commodore characters seen on TOS.

TTI easily ranks as one of the hallmarks of this now "old" genre of the fan film, and should be required viewing in any study, or recommendation for purely entertainment purposes.

Though the production is several years old, it stands shoulder to shoulder with current ST fan films now employing the full palette of digital production.

My only regret is that TTI was the last episode in a promising series...?

Maybe...just maybe the Exeter crew will return, TMP style.....you know, a few years after the 5-year mission? Obvious hint!

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

What was that date...2015?? :techman:

18. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

The one thing that this episode really tells me is that it is indeed possible to create an episode of Star Trek that has the look, heart and soul of the original series, but has the action and tempo of the more modern movies and TV shows, and make it all work, and work well. And it can be done without doing the "Everything and the kitchen sink" type of episode as well.

Oh, I have to be honest and admit I squeed like a little girl at seeing my name in the end credits and on the plaque posted on FB. :nyah:

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Truth to tell, I'm surprised and pleased that we fooled as many folks as we apparently did as to how Vandi Richards would wind up - especially since she's wearing red. ;)

I figured that the only way we might keep some suspense there was by misdirection - since Richards's role was very similar to that of the female yeomen in the original series, maybe viewers would just take Vandi as a character analogous to Rand who was being added to the permanent cast rather than a guest character. If OTOH she were clearly the Scientist-and-or-Romance-of-The-Week, the fact that she at least wouldn't be sticking around would be more obvious.

20. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This^^