Why the Xindi never appear in TOS / TNG / DS9 / VOY

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Deimos Anomaly, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Andorians were seen....

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why should the Xindi appear in TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY? The Federation has hundreds of planets and is spread out over two quadrants. Starfleet has hundreds of ships. We've only see a handful of species, ships and planets on those show. Most of the species that make up the Federation have probably never been seen even once. Space is big.

3. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

I forgot about the hologram in the Offspring and Captain's Holiday isn't an episode I watch often, so I was wrong about the Andorians

4. Romulus Prime

Romulus Prime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just another Enterprise "story"line that won't effect me when I watch TOS, TNG or DS9.

Seriously, why the writing team of this series didn't just utilize previous/established races and expand on them from day 1, I'll never know.

Klingons? Could have used Andorians and made them the "adversary" which sets up Shran's debut.

Xindi? How about a conflict between the lesser known races from TOS and Earth with Andorians leading them because they view a Human-Vulcan alliance as a threat. An eventual resolution to the conflict certainly could have lead into season 4 in a decent way with the races trying to decide whether or not to continue fighting, maintain a cease fire or create a pre-Federation thing. Instead, we got space Nazis, but whatev.

:vulcan:

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Andorians appeared in more ENT episodes than the Klingons. In the long run they were more important to the series than the Klingons.

6. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, we first see andorians in Journey to Babel in TOS. They also appeared in some ST movies.
    Enterprise had a very big chance, which unfortunately they blew it. They could've used the show for first contact with various known races, like Bolians, Trill, Betazed or Zakdorn. Instead they decided on Xindi, Suliban or Klingons.
    Andorian, Telerites and even Yridians were a nice touch, though. They certainly took their time on designing Andorians as a race.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

There's at least one Denobulan on the Enterprise E in Elite Force 2.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they did at first, like how the aliens in "Fight or Flight" were the Axanar, mentioned twice in TOS.
    And the villains of "Civilization" were the Malurians, the race Nomad destroyed in TOS "The Changeling."

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Axanar
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Malurian

There are a few more little things like that (like the Tarkaleans, who make the famous Tarkalean Tea http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tarkalean) but yeah I don't know why they didn't keep that up and do more.
    The vast majority of aliens and planets encountered in Season 1 & 2 were brand new, and it kinda made the Alpha Quadrant feel too packed full

10. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Try Xendi Sabu Star System. It is were the Ferengi returned the Stargazer to Picard at. It was mention in The Battle and Bloodline.

11. Romulus Prime

Romulus Prime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What I meant was from the start, as in Broken Bow onwards, making them the primary antagonists. IMO, the Klingon stories should have come waaaaay later.

----

Exactly this. A tease here and there with familiar alien names really should have compromised the majority of episodes. Babylon 5 had tons of races, yet the primary ones they featured had distinct qualities which were expanded upon (depending on the situation.) Same (more or less) with DS9's later Seasons. It gave viewers a sense of focus, and I think that mindset could have potentially let Enterprise go on far longer than it did. If only Season 4 and the Shran arc had been part of Seasons 1 and 2, then have an Andorian-Starfleet conflict in Season 3...

:klingon:

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Berman did think the Andorians looked silly and was hesitant to use them. Hell, The Andorian Incident was originally pitched as The Gorn Incident. Indeed, Enterprise did the most with Andorians in the fourth season, when Berman stepped back and let Manny Coto run the show.

13. NrobbieC

Really? Gorn are much cooler than Andorians but it would have cost a lot to have cgi'd them in if they appeared as many times as the Andorians did. Gorn should never be a guy in make up.

14. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

I think the Andorians were among the best parts of Enterprise. Shran was a great character, and they 4th season really concentrated on bringing together the 4 founding members of the Federation - Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellerites. It just wouldn't have been the same if they had gone a different direction with the Gorn.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's all explained here.

16. NrobbieC

Ooh that's interesting, Slar was cooler than the whole of TOS put together pity it would've been as easy to retcon that as they did with say, Trill. But then we would've missed out on Jeffrey Combs playing Shran.

17. CorporalCaptain

No, he wasn't.

18. NrobbieC

I'll take badass Gorn over dodgy 60s stuff anyday. Just my preference.

19. CorporalCaptain

And I'll take Kelinda, for one, over dodgy CGI stuff anyday. Just my preference. :techman:

20. NrobbieC

At least we're both able to enjoy what we enjoy :)