53 Reasons Why We Need a New Star Trek TV Series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Sector 7, Apr 19, 2012.

1. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Prepare the airlock.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No television series has ever done anything even approaching this.

3. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

However, you have to remember that it's not just about revenue and profit in a vacuum ... it's about opportunity cost.

A network might be able to make money running a new Star Trek series, but with the number of hours in the day being finite, they'd have an opportunity cost problem if something else would have brought in more.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Force us to become better? No never. But a mere television show can be a platform for criticism and examination of our culture (and other cultures), and science fiction - with it's aliens and monsters - can be very good at this.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was (initially) about the difficulty of teenagers in the environment of High School, and not actually about real monsters, it dealt with the matter through metaphors.

Star Trek through the years has been used for social commentary and also advocacy, sometimes with hit or miss results.

Gene Roddenberry created the prime directive as a statement about America's involvement in the Vietnam War. But some of his efforts in that direction backfired, A Private Little War comes off a more of a endorsement of American involvement, rather than a advocacy for withdrawal.

:)

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're up, Jon.

6. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey what is this? Can't Star Trek and Star Wars fans get along? Whatever happened to the concept of IDIC?

7. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think it's a silly idea to think the WHOLE ENTIRE FRANCHISE will be 'diluted' or somehow messed up by a new series if it's a flop. New material can only enrich the universe.
    There are tons of possible angles to explore the star trek universe. Things like, what's going on on Earth, a show set in the academy, or what people do all day in a world where they don't need money. Not everyone works in space do they?
    Maybe follow a colony. Maybe follow an alien colony. An alien ship? Enemies of the Federation?
    The 25th century, when they finally leave the galaxy?

8. GemHaters

GemHaters Captain

I only need one reason. Because a world without Star Trek is not a world I want to be a part of. When I was just a child I'd stay up late just to watch The Next Generation, and now we have nothing but this blaspheme that JJ Abrams is pumping out...It's not right. I don't care what other people say about a "watered down series". I refuse to hear anything negative anyone has to say about it.

^This. My life would seriously be complete if that ever happened.

9. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I always chuckle when I hear people talking about "too much Trek". Apparently too much is bad for Trek but good for CSI, Law & Order, and NCIS.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Believe me people complain about too much of those shows being bad as well. When the 2 CSI spin offs were announced peope bitched, ditto NCIS's spin off. Uusualy it's portrayed as "too many procedural cop shows!" instead of individual shows.

11. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a certain Channel 5 here in Britain, that's showing four CSI episodes back-to-back tonight. Does anybody really need that much CSI? One's excusable, if it's not a repeat. I doubt it's even much to do with ratings frankly. More simply filling up timeslots until the folks with nocturnal gambling addictions awake.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

I can really only propose what I think and believe.

If we were to do trek one more time, make it TOS era and if we want to start afresh than make it one of the other connie-class Starships with fresh characters.

One of the BIG mistakes Enterprise made, IMO, was that they used TNG and the shows that followed as a template for pre-TOS stuff. The singular Helm station, the TNG ripoff on the jumpsuits, the Captain's Ready Room....it didn't to me register as TOS inspired stuff. Sure, they had the grapple instead of a tractor beam but they still had one foot in the thinking and direction of the other post TOS shows.....and it bled through.

I want to see less soap, less political correctness. I want to see them avoid the techno babble weak endings, the preaching from the Captain's Ready Room and the wall dressing female character interpretations.

Of course this isn't the flawed 1960's and of course some would want to see today's thinking thrown into such a venture, but if that must be how it is done than I for one am happy to NOT see such an undertaking take place. For me they got it right 79 times straight. After that it was hit or miss....and there were far more forgotten efforts that neither hit nor missed.....that were bland, weak, watered down and uninspired than I can possibly remember.

Just my two cents.