What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brent, May 17, 2013.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

:rofl:

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Obviously the Federation indent for LED's had a few (hundred) extra zero's added, what else where they going to do with them.

3. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The 'getting the reactor going..' bit did look better than Spock sticking his hand into a pillar shooting glowy fog, but KICKING a piece into alignment?

The Warp Core was better looking, but IIRC in the preceding movie Scotty ejected a number of them to detonate and save the ship from the black hole.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Those were the 'dilithium chambers'. Multiple smaller reaction vessels for the expanded size of the ship.

I'm not sure which one 'looked better', but knowing Kirk was physically kicking the Antimatter injector back into place does at least let us know what the hell was happening, verses Spock standing around molesting sparkly fog for 20 minutes.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Taking these in reverse order, for reasons that should become clear...

I really doubt that was the antimatter injector. If it was, then the mirrored version at the other end of the electric arc would have been the deuterium injector... so where's the dilithium?

Wouldn't each dilithium chamber need its own matter/antimatter injectors?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Scotty calls them Dilithium chambers, and both the dialogue and the screen he displays to Kirk say Matter and Antimatter injectors.

The whole reactor assembly is different now, the matter/antimatter reaction now occurs as an arc reaction, probably the "ball" creates a total vaccum and floods with plasma when no one is present inside it.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Didn't he say "eject the core" ?

8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scotty: "Um... Okay, if we eject the core and detonate, the blast could be enough to push us away! I cannae promise anything, though!"

Somehow, "the" core turned into "four" cores.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never had a problem with the core being ejected in pieces.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Take a look at this graphic:
    [​IMG]
    It lools to me like those large intermix chamber vats are represented on the bottom right, above the six circles. They're all parts of the same warp drive system.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, he says core, they eject I think its closer to 6 identical chambers, lined up along the spine of the ship, above where the "main core" is shown to be in this movie.

So obviously the warp core is made up of a variety of different individual mechanisms tied together in the reaction process.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Kirk's version of the "bigger hammer" principle of engineering? Percussive maintenance in extreme environments?

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^:lol:

The kicking is a tough nut to crack in universe. I mean what reason could there possibly be for that emitter thingy, where perfect alignment at all times would seem a critical requirement, to be attached to a ball joint?

Perhaps it needs to be adjustable so it may 'break' alignment to stop the flow in case of overload?

I need answers, I cannot sleep at night! :lol:

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I kind of liked Kirk having to use brute force to realign the warp core injectors. It doesn't make the most sense in terms of design as The Keeper said, but too much Trek tech consists of people waving a blinking spanner or tricorder over a piece of equipment, pulling a few processing chips out and shouting technobabble. It's fun for a while but can get tiresome.

15. shapeshifter

Oh I agree, Cooleddie74.

Kirk kicking at that thing evoked a flood o' memories of Classic Kirk making the same style movement. The smile on my face could not have been jack-hammered away. :biggrin:

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The only things missing were a ripped shirt and the classic TOS fight or dramatic scene music.

A little "dah-dah-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH" would have been sweet.

17. shapeshifter

And a little trickle of blood at the side of his mouth. Oh, wait. I think he had that, from coughing it up due to the radiation!

With the 5 year mission starting perhaps we'll finally begin getting more of the familiar cues. *crosses fingers*

I'll just leave this here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxLVXw8mbU for anyone not versed in TOS music cues/sound effects desiring to get caught up. (not the full library, just some of the posters favorites)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  18. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I can accept the warp core, if it didn't require a crew to climb the bloody thing to fix it. Why wasn't a more practical and safe solution not devised?

The word "climb" is direct from the film.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean something like popping the lid to release a bunch of radioactive fog and then stirring your hands around inside the mixture ala TWOK? :guffaw:

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are lots of large engineering constructs that people have to climb to maintain, like bridges, say. I'm sure the people who maintain the Large Hadron Collider need to use cranes or scaffolds or the like to do maintenance on some of its components. I'm sure the only reason Kirk needed to free-climb is because there wasn't time to bring in the right equipment.