Behind the scenes: When a fan visited the set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TrickyDickie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Is it sonotube, the stuff they use for pouring concrete? It gets used in movies when you want cheap cylinder shapes (there are very small sonotubes in the wall of Kirk's TWOK quarters, where they have the little cabinets on the front.)

I'm thinking they were used in FOR THE WORLD IS HOLLOW and maybe THE DEADLY YEARS as well for structures on planet surfaces. Had no idea that the Burke people did anything like that (and can't find anything online about them doing that either.)

These kinds of stories always make me think of the late Joan Winston's account of being on-set during TURNABOUT INTRUDER. Kelley comes off like an utter prince, no surprise, and it seemed like everybody was pretty nice considering they were all (except I guess Nimoy) going on unemployment next week.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Dave - in #12, the guy on the far right in the striped shirt - could that be Morris Chapnick, the production assistant? I seem to remember seeing a picture or two of him, and that he was rather balding like that

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember that, too. She had a huge crush on Shatner. The kicker was that she took pictures on the set and then the drugstore that was supposed to develop the film said they lost it. (More likely a technician in their lab stole the pics.)

4. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

i've seen several pics of Winston on the set with Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I may have too, but she said in the book that (at least some of) her film was lost by the developers at Schwab's drugstore.

6. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

I definitely concur.

Indeed. I hope to do the same when/if I become "old guard." ;)

I don't think so, but let me pull the original from my archives and check. Stay tuned.

Check out: http://www.startrek.com/article/jefferies-tubes-5-convention-pioneer-joan-winston

7. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

Just a follow up:

I pulled the original to check picture #11 and I believe the man on the far right in the striped shirt is the boom operator, Bob Kyte. Also, the man in the background wearing the visor, behind Pevney and to his left, is the gaffer George Merhoff. Finally, I believe the man in the background wearing glasses, between Jerry Finnerman (also in the background) and Peggye, is the camera operator Cliff MacDonald.